Agony and Ecstacy

Post Fly patterns, photos and directions here
reelman
Warrant Officer

Agony and Ecstacy

Post by reelman » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:16 pm

Went fishing in the rain today on a private, flyfishing only lake. Cold, wet, miserable and cold. I still can't feel my fingers while I'm typing this. Broke my personal best for largest (non-carp) fish several times over.
Fished the first five hours and only caught one when I thought I'd try something ridiculous and tied on a size four deer hair mouse. Instant action. Previous best was 17.5" this one would have been over 20", but it pulled the knot and kept my fly. My hands were so numb from cold that I must have tied a weak knot. I did land one 17", two 18" and three 19" rainbows and a 17" brown. Including the monster, there were four that I didn't boat. and three missed strikes.
Here's the funny part- I landed all but the brown on a size 4 muddler minnow, slathered in floatant like a dry fly and fished like a bass popper; who says I'm not well rounded? They would leave a wake ("Jaws" theme music playing in background) chasing my muddler minnow.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Agony and Ecstacy

Post by Toni » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:03 pm

Good report. Would have been a cool video with the jaws music playing.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:53 pm

reelman- maybe the trout thought it was a traveling sedge. Not sure though if they hatch on whatever water you were on.

A strong traveling sedge hatch is something to slobber over when dryfly fishing. Just throw some big, bulky dryfly and drag it across the surface. Trout go crazy when the hatch is really going. Not sure though if that was what the fish were keyed into.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:59 pm

Big trout love minnows of all types. I'm sure they'd hit them under the water but on the surface, they're easy to see. They always look up!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!