internet fisherman/forums era

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

internet fisherman/forums era

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:30 pm

i wish there was forums like this back when i was young all you had to do is ask now and people will chime in :cheers: ..i had to earn every fish i caught back in da day explor and trial and error, i read fishing books and mags b4 da forums mann i wish they had walakes back then it woulda made my life alot easyer im still a noob now still tryen to figuring them out :scratch: ,i fish therefor i am.. :tongue:
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: internet fisherman/forums era

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:49 pm

Couldn't have been that long ago...? We didn't even have computers,let alone forums.
I here what your saying though. Be thankful that this forum is actualy very open minded and friendly about sharing information. With many forums out there, people wont even respond to you, or will bust your chops for asking a question, unless you have about 1000 posts behind your name.

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:18 pm

very true quad. this site is veryhelpful and lots of cool people and info.
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:53 am

Totally agree. There was a lot of trial an error, resources were magazine and books. You had some bad days and you had some good days, but you had to earn it.

The new generation has everything handed to them, not their fault, it's how this society is.

TroutSnipr
Commander

Post by TroutSnipr » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:21 am

Or trying to decipher if your GrandPa/Dad/Uncle's fishing stories were true. I remember my stepdad telling me that sucking the dirt off the worms first helped catch more fish(didn't fall for that one luckily), and going whitefishing for the first time with my GrandPa and great uncle Ed, and freaking out at 10 years old watching them hold live maggots inside their bottom lips to keep them lively when it was cold out.
Lamiglas G1307/Pflueger Arbor 7435
Berkley A949MH/Pflueger Arbor 7440
Damiki Angel EX S662ML/Pflueger President 6930
Denali Jadewood JS782FR/Pflueger President 6935
Abu Garcia Vendetta VTS706/Pflueger President XT 6730
Quantum EXO-PT/US Reels Hibdon 800

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:18 am

yeah when I was young...wait I am still young haha. Northwest Sportsman :cheers:

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:15 am

I took 20 years off from fishing.. i fished as a child and then stopped until about 7 years ago.. i didn't even know what a salmon was when i moved here. beings a techie dork for the last 14yrs i spent a ton of time researching the internets cuz i worked online. paid to learn ;) I learned a few things, but it wasn't until I started spending a LOT of time on the water that i started catching more fish and learning the real basics. i did then and still do go every chance i get (summer/fall only).. every body of water is different, you can learn some things on the internetz but to really learn whats going to work you have to get out there and do it.. this forum and some others are great resources for sharing and learning a few things and i am a believer in sharing and learning.

and well, when you are a slave to the corp. man or have a long honey do list, you can come to the internetz to get your fix when you can't get out there yourself.. so.. thanks Al Gore! :nemo: [thumbup] :pirat: :cheers: 8-[

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:56 pm

We are so much more connected to each other than at any time in history. I still feel like I earn every fish I catch!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:31 pm

I have a dream, that through the use of internet fishing forums such as this one, sports anglers will unite and together they will push through legislation banning all non-selective commercial fishing.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:11 pm

G-Man wrote:I have a dream, that through the use of internet fishing forums such as this one, sports anglers will unite and together they will push through legislation banning all non-selective commercial fishing.
I concur!

Lou Smith
Petty Officer

Post by Lou Smith » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:29 pm

One of the best things I see with the forums is that newbies can drastically shorten their learning curve and become better fisherpersons. After all, they are learning from the best who are willing to share. I never trusted fishing info from a tight-lipped fisherman who was afraid I would "out fish" him.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:33 pm

Well, like was said a couple times recently, even right here on WaLakes;

You can give the people the information, but they still have to catch the fish. Have to find them have to make them bite.

BUT, the info helps them by getting the started. Then after they still can't catch the fish, then they can now post here and get even more detailed info on tackle, fish location info, and on making the fish bite.

I learned mostly by trial and error for years. Then reading magazine articles, a couple books, tv shows that appeared when I was about 40 years old. And by joining a bass fishing club.
Tom.

Interests: living