Animal abuse

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
rcthepirate
Lieutenant

Animal abuse

Post by rcthepirate » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:23 pm

I was fishing up at Reiter today, and as I was putting on more eggs I saw a guy drag his dog into the bushes by its scruff. I could still see him and the dog through the bushes, but what was even more shocking is what I heard. I could see and hear him repeatedly striking and kicking his dog because it apparently rolled in something that smelled bad (as dogs tend to do). This was no spanking. He was hitting the dog in the face, and kicking it hard enough that I could hear the thud of his boot hitting the dog's mid section. The dog was wimpering the whole time. Unfortunately, there was no one close enough to really see it besides me. Obviously, I couldn't just keep my mouth shut, so I gave him a mouthful, and he gave it right back. I threatened to call animal control on him, but quite frankly, I wasn't really sure who I should call or what they could do about it. I'm actually really regretting not calling the police. So the purpose of this post is two-fold: first and foremost, to warn people about this guy. He has dark hair, a full and well-maintained beard, and a darker complexion. He was probably in his late twenties to early thirties, and it seemed like all he was fishing was spoons. Second, I wanted to pose the question(s): what can someone who witnesses this kind of abuse do about it? Who should they call? Is it even my place to do anything at all?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Animal abuse

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:28 pm

I have been known to beat the human on those special occasions. 5 seconds after the dog rolls he's already forgot about it. Beating it is useless.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

hanapaa808
Warrant Officer

Post by hanapaa808 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:26 pm

I personally would make it my business. I would call the cops and if they wouldn't come out I'd ask them who you should call next. If you get no help from that then I guess you take off your boot and take off one of your socks so you can put a roll of your pencil lead in it and beat the **** out of the guy like he did his dog. Then take his dog and find it a better home.

PokeyPrasch
Petty Officer

Post by PokeyPrasch » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:48 pm

I'm glad you said something.
I have never encountered something like that but I would have done the same.
Batman Kiddie Pole

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:47 pm

That's too bad. As a dog owner, I'd have a tough time seeing that and doing nothing. Actually I think you could call the cops and report animal cruelty. At least start from there, then ask for animal control.

What kind of dog was it?

bass kickin redneck
Petty Officer

Post by bass kickin redneck » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:59 pm

First of all my dog does this all the time pisses me off but i don't beat her i take her in the river wash it off as good as possible second beat his ass i got a short temper for stupid people who beat animals
Shut up and fish

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:00 pm

Be careful out at Reiter, lots of guys carry.

rcthepirate
Lieutenant

Post by rcthepirate » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:31 pm

I really have no idea what kind of dog it was, but I think it had to be some kind of mix. It was black with some tannish gold marks. And ya, as soon as things started to get heated I shut my mouth. You never know who is carrying, and when you are dealing with someone who is willing to beat an animal like that the last thing you want is for them to pull a gun. I'm going to keep my eye on this guy if I see him up there, and if I witness anymore abuse I'm not even going to say anything, I'll just step away and call the police.

hanapaa808
Warrant Officer

Post by hanapaa808 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:53 am

rcthepirate wrote:I really have no idea what kind of dog it was, but I think it had to be some kind of mix. It was black with some tannish gold marks. And ya, as soon as things started to get heated I shut my mouth. You never know who is carrying, and when you are dealing with someone who is willing to beat an animal like that the last thing you want is for them to pull a gun. I'm going to keep my eye on this guy if I see him up there, and if I witness anymore abuse I'm not even going to say anything, I'll just step away and call the police.

If you see him again try to be discreet and take a pic of him and post his pic up on here.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:19 am

Its not wise to take the law into your own hands. If you want to beat him up dont. You'll be the one getting in trouble. If someone sees you beating some guy they may call the police on you.In my opinion you should call Law Enforcement.Taking matters into your own hands can be very dangerous.

rcthepirate
Lieutenant

Post by rcthepirate » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:24 am

racfish wrote:Its not wise to take the law into your own hands. If you want to beat him up dont. You'll be the one getting in trouble. If someone sees you beating some guy they may call the police on you.In my opinion you should call Law Enforcement.Taking matters into your own hands can be very dangerous.
I agree 100%. There is almost never a good reason to take things to that level. Unless someone is in immediate danger of being physically harmed, it's best to leave it up to law enforcement. And I will try to snap a pic of this dude if I see him around again.

hanapaa808
Warrant Officer

Post by hanapaa808 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:35 am

racfish wrote:Its not wise to take the law into your own hands. If you want to beat him up dont. You'll be the one getting in trouble. If someone sees you beating some guy they may call the police on you.In my opinion you should call Law Enforcement.Taking matters into your own hands can be very dangerous.

Just curious on what you would do if it was a kid being beat? I know many of people consider their animals as kids. Would you try and stop the kid from being beat or just call the cops?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:27 am

hanapaa808 wrote:

Just curious on what you would do if it was a kid being beat? I know many of people consider their animals as kids. Would you try and stop the kid from being beat or just call the cops?
If someone is in danger of bodily harm and they are in your sphere of influence, it's more than all right to aid and protect them. I'd be willing to extend that to a defenseless animal. Infact I'd aid and protect the 8#!T out of them. It wouldn't be the first time and I've never gotten in trouble rendering aid! [wink]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

hanapaa808
Warrant Officer

Post by hanapaa808 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:50 pm

Bodofish wrote:
hanapaa808 wrote:

If someone is in danger of bodily harm and they are in your sphere of influence, it's more than all right to aid and protect them. I'd be willing to extend that to a defenseless animal. Infact I'd aid and protect the 8#!T out of them. It wouldn't be the first time and I've never gotten in trouble rendering aid! [wink]

Right on bodo! I feel the same way. I hope we get to see a pic of this guy soon!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:31 am

In any case whether it be a pet or a child I would say something to stop the abuse. I wont make physical contact with someone on my own, if possible I would seek the help of someone then at least you have a witness. Being mr. hero can get you in way more legal trouble then its worth in our court system. Unfortunately there is no shortage of nuts,kooks and perverts in the world today.Telling the person you witnessed the beating and that you have it on your video phone Im sure would stop most. There are exceptions.