Year of the crappie

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
crappiemaster
Lieutenant

Year of the crappie

Post by crappiemaster » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:55 pm

I don't know about any one else, but I have just been hammering crappie this year. The back waters on the Columbia have been very productive and some of the local lakes were extremely good earlier in the spring. I don't remember having a year like this in a long time. Patience is definitely the key. Polarized glasses and working the edge of weed beds in the evening with a 1/32 oz jighead and Gulp 1' minnows or red and white micro jig tipped with gulp chartreuse nibblet seem to be the trick. I have pictures on my phone of some trips but have not figured out how to transfer to my computer to post. Anyone else doing good with crappie?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Year of the crappie

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:59 pm

Crappie just laugh at me when I fish for them. I've got a secret lake that has at least, black crappie. A friend has caught them, but I don't know enough about what I'm doing. The lake has TONS of wood in it. I try crappie jigs, etc.
You put a thread on here a while back that was huge, and went into total detail. I actually copied pasted it to a WORD document. Next time I hit my crappie lake, I'm printing and going shopping 1st!

I live vicariously through your EAstern WA. crappie reports and pics. Those crappie are a funny fish. The people who fish them are WAY SERIOUS about them, the other 90% don't know a thing about them. just my .02

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:27 am

Quadfather: My success with crappie is like yours. I'll look up the crappie post you referred to and see if it can help me. I'm in the KItsap area, and know a lake where they are, just can't seem to get em to bite! Good luck!

Slacktime
Petty Officer

Post by Slacktime » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am

It seems like those of us that live on the west side don't see the numbers that the east side peeps do.
SlackTime <*{{{{{><

tluedeke
Petty Officer

Post by tluedeke » Mon May 13, 2013 9:22 pm

Yeah, I've tried for them, but have had zero luck. Their proclivity to suspend and concentrate makes them difficult for someone with obsolescent electronics. I've tried extensively and recently on the I82 ponds near Yakima, with zero luck. Probably 20+ years ago I'd get them on the Snake, most likely during the spawn, in little backwaters.

I've got a lot of admiration for folks that can nail them - it takes skill to find the schools....