Skykomish River

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
chrome127
Petty Officer

Skykomish River

Post by chrome127 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:04 pm

Any word on a King fishery on the Skykomish and Wallace rivers? :fish:

DannyLeslie
Warrant Officer

Re: Skykomish River

Post by DannyLeslie » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:16 pm

As far as I have heard there is NO King fishery on the Sky this year.
Fishing is more than life. It's a passion.

2012 Season Stats

Silvers-0
Kings-0
Sockeye-1
Steelhead-0
Sea Run Cutthroat-2
Trout-39

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:41 pm

even when there is its a tough one..

DannyLeslie
Warrant Officer

Post by DannyLeslie » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:28 am

^ Very true. If ya want some good kings try the samish.
Fishing is more than life. It's a passion.

2012 Season Stats

Silvers-0
Kings-0
Sockeye-1
Steelhead-0
Sea Run Cutthroat-2
Trout-39

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:06 am

It has been officially announced that there will be NO catch and keep king fishery on the Sky in 2012. Really sucks IMO. Albeit the springers are hard to target, you catch about 50/50 springers and summers when side drifting for steel. This means this year we will be releasing a LOT of really nice chrome hatchery springers.

Those are going to be some VERY expensive hatchery fish this season. The concept of perpetuation of a hatchery run for no other reason than to meet hatchery egg take quotas is laughable. Great management right there. =D>

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:06 am

Matt wrote:It has been officially announced that there will be NO catch and keep king fishery on the Sky in 2012. Really sucks IMO. Albeit the springers are hard to target, you catch about 50/50 springers and summers when side drifting for steel. This means this year we will be releasing a LOT of really nice chrome hatchery springers.

Those are going to be some VERY expensive hatchery fish this season. The concept of perpetuation of a hatchery run for no other reason than to meet hatchery egg take quotas is laughable. Great management right there. =D>
I know right? It's really not making any sense to me. Especially with how many fish came back last year. We had 2,530 kings show up at the hatchery even with steady fishing pressure in the sky with consistent catch rates. I really wonder if that number counts the myriad of hatchery fish that were spawning in the river. Opening week you couldn't wade through the darn river without stepping on a king. I don't get it.

Kockmandoo
Lieutenant

Post by Kockmandoo » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:08 pm

wow thats really dumb. matt your completely right. and if nate is right about his numbers then theres no reason to close retention for them. bummer because springers are so good on the barbecue too.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:49 pm

Got my numbers from WDFW themselves. Page 8: http://wdfw.wa.gov/hatcheries/escapemen ... 122911.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I remember fishing for steelhead and just getting irritated. Watching these "hatchery" fish on their redds, spawning like crazy, running up against my boots. And you go up to the hatchery and there's nothing in the chute, while they shut the Chinook fishery down early. I thought that they didn't want hatchery fish spawning in the river. Now all those smolts are going to end up as "wild" fish. It's like they didn't take the time to walk the 100 yards downstream to see that those extra fish that they were waiting for were sitting right there in the river. And that doesn't even account for the fact that most folks find tthese fish so darned hard to catch that even when it's open not very many fish get taken.

Chefbrian117
Petty Officer

Post by Chefbrian117 » Thu May 17, 2012 8:58 pm

Why in the heck is it closed then? Im really mad about this... I was really looking forward to some king fishing in the sky... [cursing]

luisdabeast206
Petty Officer

Post by luisdabeast206 » Thu May 17, 2012 10:09 pm

lol if you can even find the Kings! Steelhead is around the corner, anyone else going to be out there?

rcthepirate
Lieutenant

Post by rcthepirate » Wed May 23, 2012 11:19 am

I'll definitely be out there. On a different note, am I to understand that the reiter ponds section will open on June 1st with the rest of the river, or am I missing something in the regs?

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Post by bugmasta » Wed May 23, 2012 12:53 pm

rcthepirate wrote:I'll definitely be out there. On a different note, am I to understand that the reiter ponds section will open on June 1st with the rest of the river, or am I missing something in the regs?
that the way i read it

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed May 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Guaranteed it is a product of pressure from the tribals to keep it closed so there can be more commercial opportunity in the salt. They are afraid they won't make escapement. It is somewhat likely we will see a mid season opener for a short stint once they easily reach their escapement goals. Fingers crossed.

I'll be out side drifting, likely start below Lewis and fish the lower slots, and move up to a couple honey holes up higher between Sultan and Ben Howard if nothings doin. See you all out there.

chrome127
Petty Officer

Post by chrome127 » Thu May 24, 2012 4:45 am

Yes the Reiter area will be open. I was in touch with the game guys. No exclamation on escapement. Do they really need fish for brood stock?

Chasin' Chrome
Angler

Post by Chasin' Chrome » Thu May 24, 2012 7:13 am

I believe that you have to be 1000' below the intake at Reiter Ponds........there were many tickets written last year guys, so be careful............tight lines to all!

SKYKOMISH River (Snohomish Co.)
from Wallace River to Gold Bar/Big
Eddy Access (Hwy. 2 Bridge)
(844)
ALL SPECIES - Aug 1-Nov. 30: night closure and anti-snagging rule.
Dolly Varden/Bull Trout June 1-Jan. 31 Min. size 20". May be retained as part of TROUT daily limit.
All Other TROUT June 1-Jan. 31 Min. size 14". Daily limit 2.
Other Game Fish June 1-Jan. 31 Statewide min. size/daily limit.
SALMON Sept. 1-Dec. 31 Min. size 12". Daily limit 3. Release CHINOOK and PINK.
from Gold Bar/Big Eddy Access (Hwy.
2 Bridge) to confluence of North and
South forks
(844)
ALL SPECIES - Aug. 1-Nov. 30: night closure and anti-snagging rule. Aug. 1-Feb. 15: fishing from any
floating device prohibited from 1,000' downstream of Reiter Ponds outlet to 1500' upstream.
Dolly Varden/Bull Trout June 1-Feb. 15 Min. size 20". May be retained as part of TROUT daily limit.
All Other TROUT June 1-Feb. 15 Min. size 14". Daily limit 2.
Other Game Fish June 1-Feb. 15 Statewide min. size/daily limit.
SALMON Sept. 1-Dec. 31 Min. size 12". Daily limit 3. Release CHINOOK and PINK.

Chasin' Chrome
Angler

Post by Chasin' Chrome » Thu May 24, 2012 10:31 am

I just called the Mill Creek office for the WDFW and the gal on the phone said that the Reiter Ponds area is open on June 1st, unless the hatchery doesn't get it's quota of fish.

Normally this section of the river doesn't open until around August 1st, so this is a BONUS for us fisherman!

Tight Lines everyone and good luck to you all!

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu May 24, 2012 1:46 pm

WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

May 24, 2012

Fishing prohibited from floating device
near Reiter Ponds outlet on Skykomish

Action: Prohibit fishing from any floating device from 1,000 feet downstream to 1,500 feet upstream of Reiter Ponds outlet.

Effective date: June 1 through July 31, 2012.

Species affected: All species.

Location: Skykomish River from 1,000 feet downstream to 1,500 feet upstream of the Reiter Ponds Hatchery outlet.

Reason for action: To avoid gear conflicts with bank anglers.

This section of the Skykomish River around Reiter Ponds is opening earlier than in previous years. This rule will expand the no fishing from any floating device rule to match the longer season.

Other information: Fishing rules can be found in the 2012/2013 Sportfishing Rules Pamphlet.

Information contact: Jennifer Whitney, District 13 Fish Biologist (425) 775-1311.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

chrome127
Petty Officer

Post by chrome127 » Thu May 24, 2012 6:30 pm

Hey all besides Reiter, are there any other spots that could be productive?

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

chrome127 wrote:Hey all besides Reiter, are there any other spots that could be productive?
If the wallace is open, it can be productive as well.

chrome127
Petty Officer

Post by chrome127 » Fri May 25, 2012 4:38 am

Is there any bank access on the Wallace?
Thanks