Favorite bass lures

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
narrows11
Petty Officer

Favorite bass lures

Post by narrows11 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:42 pm

ive mainly used plastic worms and some jigs for bass but was wondering if Craink Baits are better? anyTips?
Just keep fishing

bob johansen
Commander

Re: Favorite bass lures

Post by bob johansen » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:38 am

Plastic worms, Jigs, Crankbaits and Spinnerbaits are all very effective lures and will catch lots of fish --- but if you want the best lure for sheer bass fishing excitement try top water lures. To see the strike, feel the strike and hear the strike all at the same time just can't be beat.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:49 am

Crankbaits work well. I wouldn't say it's better than other lures, but that's the great thing about Bass fishing, there's so many different ways to catch them.

To be a successful bass fisherman one will realize what lure to use for any conditions. Crankbaits are great search baits. I'll use them in overcast conditions and/or windy conditions. I've had luck with super shallow cranks on the first few sunny days of the year for largies.

Give them a try,

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:28 am

Sometimes the only bite especially this time of year is a reaction bite. Jerk or crank

The HAWG HUNTER
Warrant Officer

Post by The HAWG HUNTER » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:12 pm

The best lure is outlawed in Wa. The reason, you might catch something!

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:01 am

I say have a little of everything in your arsenal but if you aren't fishing soft plastic frogs, your leaving fish in the lake!

narrows11
Petty Officer

Post by narrows11 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:48 pm

Thanks for the great info! and Frogs?
Just keep fishing

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:55 pm

Plastic frogs, usually used in topwater, weeds, pads, etc. Can be used on a Carolina rig, and such. :-)
Tom.

Interests: living

narrows11
Petty Officer

Post by narrows11 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:57 pm

Good to know! Thanks! :)
Just keep fishing

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:54 pm

I have been using soft plastic frogs quite often lately. I use the NetBait Paca Toad Sr. It's a great bait for Pike and large mouth bass. I use anywhere from a non weighted 7/0 swimbait hook to a 1/4 oz. weighted version and I fish it anywhere from buzzing the top of the water to on the bottom in 20 feet of water. No matter where it is it seems to catch fish. If I was going out for bass or pike and only had one lure to take. That would be it.

"Catch and release baby"
"Whether the like it or not"

dresscode5
Angler

Post by dresscode5 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:14 pm

Crankbaits are super fun to fish and you can get very creative w/ the retrieves. They are a superb search bait as KZOO said esp. for covering a lot of water just like a spinnerbait. Once the water warms up a bit more, I keep one tied on until November here. Try to match baitfish size, seasonal habbits and you'll catch bass most of the year. There not ideal all season long but mixing it up can land you a few extra bass. Don't be afraid to fish it through, around various cover esp. fallen trees and rock piles. If your looking at a fishy area and thinking to yourself... I am probably going to lose this lure here and you don't cast there, you could possibly miss out on your biggest bass of the year. You will hang up eventually though. Even the pro's do. Be mindful of the factory hooks. It they look weak, replace them!!!

narrows11
Petty Officer

Post by narrows11 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:19 am

Hahaha i defiantly don't worry about losing lures :p
Just keep fishing

williajd
Angler

Post by williajd » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:54 pm

Im new to the area. Where are the good bass spots around the Bremerton area? I heard kitsap lake and long but no luck there. Any others? thanks for any help

narrows11
Petty Officer

Post by narrows11 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:38 pm

What about the soft plastic mouse? I saw one at my local tackle shop and wondered if they work?
Just keep fishing

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:51 pm

Nope, those don't work at all, unless you want your line stretched.

[laugh]

Ok, ok, they work too, use them the same as a frog. Also over open water next to docks and such.
Tom.

Interests: living

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:04 pm

williajd wrote:Im new to the area. Where are the good bass spots around the Bremerton area? I heard kitsap lake and long but no luck there. Any others? thanks for any help
When the water warms a bit, those lakes will be good. Island Lk in SIlverdale too

narrows11
Petty Officer

Post by narrows11 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:38 pm

hahahahaha ok thanks :)
Just keep fishing

Dan360
Petty Officer

Post by Dan360 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:26 am

LMB: Grubs, larger Senkos, spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, Spooks, Pop-Rs, lipless cranks

SMB: Tubes, smaller Senkos, Crankbaits, Jerkbaits, Prop type lures, lipless cranks
There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind. ~Washington Irving

zen leecher
Commander

Post by zen leecher » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:43 am

If this question had been asked in 1971 I would have said that Mann's Jelly Worm in blackberry was the way to go. It was the only one I caught bass on. Now I'd say bass can be caught on other colors and flavors of rubber worms.

Dan360
Petty Officer

Post by Dan360 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:23 pm

zen leecher wrote:If this question had been asked in 1971 I would have said that Mann's Jelly Worm in blackberry was the way to go. It was the only one I caught bass on. Now I'd say bass can be caught on other colors and flavors of rubber worms.
I ended up with 20 of these in purple and blue. All 10 inch paddle-tail jelly worms. I would rig them weightless using various sizes in hooks to regulate depth and then swim them over openings in cover. LMB would blow this thing up! Can't find them anymore and nothing else I've seen is quite right.

I also miss the Jerry's Saturn Grub.
There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind. ~Washington Irving