1988 Mercury 70 outboard oil injection system issues.......need advice

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Spiny_Ray_Tracker
Petty Officer

1988 Mercury 70 outboard oil injection system issues.......need advice

Post by Spiny_Ray_Tracker » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:26 am

Ok folks, new to the outboard scene and wanted to get some opinions on my situation. I have a 1988 Bass Tracker 17 footer with a Mercury 70 on it. The outboard is super clean and is the original motor for the boat. The outboard has an oil injection system on it. Under the cowling is an oil reservior. I have owned this boat almost 2 months and have had it out about 4 times on the water without issues. Just this past weekend I took it out and was surprised to hear a "beeping" alarm going off while operating at higher speeds. I immediately shut the engine down and inspected under the cowling. One of the oil injection lines leading to the fuel pump was split in half allowing fuel/oil to spray on the engine. I ended up reattaching the line and securing it. I made sure the reservior tank for the oil injection system was full. The alarm quit for about 10 minutes and came back.#-o What gives???? I have heard of guys getting rid of the oil injection systems completely due to the chance of something going wrong and destroying the engine. Mine appears to be working correctly. Any idea on what is causing the alarm to sound?
2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130 Kayak
Outfitted for bass fishing

edge540
Commander

RE:1988 Mercury 70 outboard oil injection system issues.......need advice

Post by edge540 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:12 am

It could also be an over temperature alarm. Take it to a good shop and have it checked out before you burn it down.

I don't know you or you mechanical abilities so its hard to give you advise; If you want to mess with it on your own I would mix oil into the tank at the proper ratio (50:1?) to avoid damaging the power head. It will smoke a little but wont hurt the engine. Also watch the "pee stream" to make sure its pumping water. It could be a bad water pump or thermostat causing it to overheat. Is the water coming out of the pee stream hot when running?

Also check the float in the oil tank it it has one, make sure its not stuck down.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:30 am

Tom.

Interests: living

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:14 pm

I had an issue with a suzuki outboard that had the alarm going off. It was ear peircing. If I idled very long it would happen. The point is that water was comming out of the pee hole even when the alarm was going off. The alarm would go off sometimes if I accelerated a little. It turned out to be a bad impeller. It was getting enough water to cool the engine when it ran at higher rpms but not at the lower end. As mentioned above, you may have a cooling issue, but just because water is exiting the pee hole doesn't mean you're getting enough. Just my thougths. Good luck.
"The Pike Supremacist"

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:40 pm

Just my 2 cents OB mfg's (and snomos and bikes) went to an auto lube system for a couple reasons, Convenience being the least of them. They lube the engine better and they POLUTE the air and water less. You can mix if you want to but the OB MFGs have gone to great lengths to keep the 2 cycles on the water. If you look back a few years there was a big push to ban 2 cycles on all bodies of water.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:28 pm

Just my opinion here, but trying to guess what's wrong with your motor is just that. You have a 23yr old motor with oil injection that had a failure due to a split hose. My mind covers lots of possibilities, but none that I could say might be the issue. Instead of chasing lots of "might be this" or "might be that" suggestions, take the motor to someone you trust who knows how to troubleshoot the condition. If it were my motor, and I did what you did, and the alarm came back, that would be exactly what I would do.

Good luck!
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

edge540
Commander

Post by edge540 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:33 pm

Bodofish wrote:Just my 2 cents OB mfg's (and snomos and bikes) went to an auto lube system for a couple reasons, Convenience being the least of them. They lube the engine better and they POLUTE the air and water less. You can mix if you want to but the OB MFGs have gone to great lengths to keep the 2 cycles on the water. If you look back a few years there was a big push to ban 2 cycles on all bodies of water.

Just to be clear, I only meant to add oil just in case the injection system is NOT oiling the engine. I would just run it off a 3 gallon tank mixed 50:1 while I was messing with it to avoid frying the motor.

The heat could be the real issue with an impeller or thermostat but I wouldn't want to seize an engine while trying to diagnose the problem.

X2 on taking it to Limit Out Marine, There good guys down there and will take care of you.

~Steve

Spiny_Ray_Tracker
Petty Officer

Post by Spiny_Ray_Tracker » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:27 am

A water impeller and carb kit was installed just 12hrs before this problem popped up. After installing the new water impeller, I ran the motor with water and got a forceful stream of water out of the "pee hole". I had good water pressure when the alarm went off on the water as well. Just to make sure I didn't cook anything.......I mixed in oil in my fuel tank to get back to the boat launch that day. The motor ran great at all rpms until until I pulled the boat out at the launch. I am a heavy equipment mechanic by trade and a do-it-yourselfer. I decided to buy a manual covering this outboard engine from an online source and figure out what the alarm is associated to. Many forums I have read online describe this alarm as something only affected by a electronic float in the reservior. I also heard that this alarm switch can "trip-out" due to age and cause random beeping. The first thing I may try is pulling the reservior off the motor (located inside the cowling) and clean/inspect it carefully. I am definitely not intimidated by doing my own work. All I need is manuals, hard facts, tools, and the correct part numbers. I appreciate all the feedback up to this point! Any info or added suggestions is always appreciated!
2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130 Kayak
Outfitted for bass fishing

rook98006
Angler

Re: 1988 Mercury 70 outboard oil injection system issues....

Post by rook98006 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:33 pm

Having a similar issue with 88 Merc 80hp. Did ever find the cause? I think my float is stuck and not sure if a replacement tank can be had. Here is a decent link with drawings on the oil injection system.

TRT

Spiny_Ray_Tracker
Petty Officer

Post by Spiny_Ray_Tracker » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:39 pm

Took my bass tracker out to Lake Stevens this past weekend. I fired up the 70hp Merc and heard the alarm sound from the control console. The sound was faint, then loud, then faint. It sounded like it was dying. I ran the boat along the shoreline (low speed) and finally the alarm shut off by itself. I ran the boat full speed down the length of the lake with no alarm sound. Later that day the alarm faintly came back on when I was hitting some hard waves on the bow. I feel almost convinced that this alarm issue is a bad warning module on the engine. Its very intermittant and unpredictable when it comes on and shuts off. Anyone experience this?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:57 pm

http://www.limitoutmarine.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:24 pm

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=Aku ... =yfp-t-504" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

Spiny_Ray_Tracker
Petty Officer

Post by Spiny_Ray_Tracker » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:40 pm

AMX,

Thanks for the links. I would also like to ad that the key normally beeps/alarms when you turn the ignition on (normal operation). At times, the beeping works and other times it doesn't. Very intermittant on whether the beeping occurs or not. This beeping is also known to occur whether the engine is stone cold or hot. I have followed Seloc's troubleshooting guide (logic tree) concerning the proper operation of the warning module. After going through all the checks, it comes to "faulty warning module-replace module". [blink] I was wondering if this is something other folks have experienced with older oil-injection outboards.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Tue May 01, 2012 5:34 am

This is the best online source for Mercury motor info on the 'net.

Don Weed is a dual certified Mercury Marine master tech with 36 years experience. He is a straight shooter, and if you want to DIY, pay a visit, scroll down to the motor section, choose Mercury, list your motor serial number and provide a detailed description of your problem. He will tell what you need to know, do, and what parts (if necessary) will get you back on the water.

I read that forum daily just to learn. [thumbup]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

Augwen
Lieutenant

Post by Augwen » Tue May 01, 2012 6:02 am

I have a 1998 Mariner that at certain times would also start screaming at me. I checked the impeller (always feel the stream to see if it is hot), I checked the injection system and the sensor. I took it to a great otboard mechanic and he did all the checking all over again. Off the water and ON the water. The end result was that when I built the boat, even though I followed all manufacturing reccomendations, I did not get the motor deep enough into the water. The back of my '56 Crestliner has a flat bottom and it needs to be 2" lower than reccomended to keep the water flowing at all speeds. I can get the warning scream to go off at will. Maybe your motor is doing fine and it is motor placement that is the problem?

Spiny_Ray_Tracker
Petty Officer

Post by Spiny_Ray_Tracker » Tue May 01, 2012 3:12 pm

Prior to having the start of this intermitant alarm issue, I have had the boat out on the water 5-6 times without any problems. I would imagine that motor placement would be critical if I took off the outboard and reinstalled it at a different dimension. The outboard has never been off since owning it.

Spiny_Ray_Tracker
Petty Officer

Post by Spiny_Ray_Tracker » Tue May 01, 2012 3:17 pm

Awesome! This is exactly what I was looking for. I am a DIY guy who is mechanically inclined, but with limited outboard experience. I will post up my issue and go from there. I certainly appreciate it. [thumbup]

hewesfisher wrote:This is the best online source for Mercury motor info on the 'net.

Don Weed is a dual certified Mercury Marine master tech with 36 years experience. He is a straight shooter, and if you want to DIY, pay a visit, scroll down to the motor section, choose Mercury, list your motor serial number and provide a detailed description of your problem. He will tell what you need to know, do, and what parts (if necessary) will get you back on the water.

I read that forum daily just to learn. [thumbup]

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed May 02, 2012 10:45 am

No problem. I can't bear the thought of paying $85 - $100/hr labor rate for things I know how to do. I bought Merc service manuals for both my Mercs from Don, and with his help, feel I can do anything within my skill range that doesn't require special diagnostic equipment or marine motor specific tools. I'm an ASE Master collision & refinishing tech, and have an extensive mechanical background as well, so there's not much I can't do with the right information. [thumbup]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

Spiny_Ray_Tracker
Petty Officer

Post by Spiny_Ray_Tracker » Wed May 02, 2012 4:16 pm

I absolutely agree! I am a diesel/heavy equipment tech who is used to doing all my own fixes. If I don't know what I'm working on, I will spend lots of time researching and collecting info so that I am equipped with the right tools and have a comfortable understanding of how the system/component works.

hewesfisher wrote:No problem. I can't bear the thought of paying $85 - $100/hr labor rate for things I know how to do. I bought Merc service manuals for both my Mercs from Don, and with his help, feel I can do anything within my skill range that doesn't require special diagnostic equipment or marine motor specific tools. I'm an ASE Master collision & refinishing tech, and have an extensive mechanical background as well, so there's not much I can't do with the right information. [thumbup]

Spiny_Ray_Tracker
Petty Officer

Post by Spiny_Ray_Tracker » Wed May 09, 2012 7:53 pm

Determined that the sensor in my oil injection tank is faulty. I was able to discuss my issue on BBC and get great help! Glad it was suggested! [biggrin]