Low pressure launching experience for a rookie?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Low pressure launching experience for a rookie?

Post by Bodofish » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:55 pm

'OL GREY DOG wrote:does anyone unplug their trailer lights before bk'n in the water?....

now the MOST IMPORTANT thing on your "list" ...rrrrright before you get in the truck to bk 'er in.....walk around 1 more time give it 1 more look see ...make SURE the boat/trlailer are ready and that you've got all gear/food/beverages ect.... and calm down...DONT HURRY....DOG
Since my boat doesn't go in the salt, nope don't worry about it.
The trailer has sealed lights. If I was dumping into the salt, it's an absolute must
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:40 pm

The purpose of unpluging the trailer lights before backing into the water is so no water gets on the light bulbs. When you step on the brakes the bulbs heat up and can burn out and even blow up. With sealed trailer lights there is no reason to unplug them, you'd think, but sometimes the sealed lights can develope a leak, and so burn out the bulb inside.

Has nothing to do with ground issues, that would be there and show up at any time while driving, not just when in the water.
Tom.

Interests: living

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:05 pm

me too

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:28 pm

Mine are sealed LEDs no lights to explode and very little heat (plus they will probably out last the boat itself, lol). I do unplug them when I back into salt water, although I don't think it is necessary.
Last edited by Matt on Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:59 pm

Matt wrote:Mine are sealed LEDs no lights to explode and very little heat (plus they will probably out last the boat itself, lol). I do unplug them when I back into salt water, although I don't think it is necessary.
I have the sealed LED lights as well and don't bother to uplug them when backing into fresh or saltwater.

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:23 pm

oo mannnn...yea me too...on the grey boat's trailer...corse on the stock trailer(racks pop off 'n its a flatbed)there's still old round metal filiment bulb lights on it...drill'd a 1/2 inch hole in the bottom so's they'd drain out IF they was to get some water in 'em...use my 2 axle car trailer sometimes(i got 9 boats)...anyways was just the way i was raised...'ol uncle Terry told me not to bk 12 volt systems(lights/brakes) in to the water without unplug'n 'em 1st <shrugs>....
now to add to this fella's list......do ya know what would ruin the whole trip??
after bk'n up,launch'n(with everything and everyone in the boat the 1st time LOL)have'n a great day boat'n with the family and a successful retrieval???
well rrright before you lift your foot up to crawl in the truck to escape...
STOP!!!....take a deep breath 'n relaxxxx...walk around 1 more time...make sure everything is stow'd/tied down/hook'd up/flash'n/and inflated...(dont forget the dog/kid)
NOW!!! go crawl in enjoy the ride home and the tell'n and the hear'n of the war stories (hopefuly all good 1s)...drive careful...you'll be amazed how completely worn out you'll be...all the war stories should keep you awake..unless your crew all start snore'n 5 mins after the truck starts move'n like mine do....dont know how much you've pull'd trailers.... 1 last hint (im wayyyy over my 35 cents worth here)when your turn'n right..make sure your left wheel tracks in its lane as close to the center line as you can..turn'n left..right wheel tracks in its lane close to the fog line...keeps the honk'n and finger salutes to a min and keeps your trailer outta the ditch...GL out there....DOG

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:34 pm

This will sound like a no brainer, but don't forget to put the PARKING BREAK on when you get out of your truck to tend to the launch/retrieval of the boat. ESPECIALLY if you drive the boat up onto the trailer... I have seen people lose their whole rig when it went rolling back into the water down at the Everett marina more than one time. Your boat is small so this shouldn't be much of an issue, but still a good practice. Also, lift your transom/outboard up before you pull out, many a skegs props and hydrolic systems are damaged by people forgetting to lift them out of the water before pulling out (happens about 5 times a day down at Everett, doesn't always lead to bad damage, but about 40% of the time it messes something up real good).

:bom:

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:46 pm

I was going to ask the lights question a couple days ago. My trailer lights are not sealed and have never unpluged them. I see some that do and some that don`t. Didn`t know the hole reason for unpluging except what AMX mentioned. Although my trailer is old. If I had a nice new or even a nice older ranger:-" you bet I`d unplug em

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:58 pm

Tom.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:38 pm

Aside from the bulbs exploding, the metal hosing that screws into the outlet/socket can become fused to the socket. If this happens you are buying a whole new light, not just a new bulb. This happened to me about 8 months ago which is when I upgraded to LED.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:32 am

Amx wrote:The purpose of unpluging the trailer lights before backing into the water is so no water gets on the light bulbs. When you step on the brakes the bulbs heat up and can burn out and even blow up. With sealed trailer lights there is no reason to unplug them, you'd think, but sometimes the sealed lights can develope a leak, and so burn out the bulb inside.

Has nothing to do with ground issues, that would be there and show up at any time while driving, not just when in the water.

Except that if you are backing into salt water you are exposing the wire splices inside the trailer to a bunch of nasty little free ions in the salt. Salt water + electricity = corrosion.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:37 am

Bodofish wrote:
Amx wrote:The purpose of unpluging the trailer lights before backing into the water is so no water gets on the light bulbs. When you step on the brakes the bulbs heat up and can burn out and even blow up. With sealed trailer lights there is no reason to unplug them, you'd think, but sometimes the sealed lights can develope a leak, and so burn out the bulb inside.

Except that if you are backing into salt water you are exposing the wire splices inside the trailer to a bunch of nasty little free ions in the salt. Salt water + electricity = corrosion.
That's true enough. Salt water is much worse than fresh water.
Tom.