Camo questions

All things related to hunting.
bionic_one
Captain

Camo questions

Post by bionic_one » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:43 am

I'm considering picking up a set of Sitka camo for hunting in both eastern (northport area) and western WA (capital forest area). Will Sitka Optifade work well in both locations?

What's the cheapest place to find it in the south sound?
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lee

BentRod
Admiral

RE:Camo questions

Post by BentRod » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:18 am

Bionic, I don't have any experience with the Sitka system, but looked at the website. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work anywhere in the state. Looks like it would be a perfect fit for southeast Washington. I've hunted eastern Washington and southwest Washington most of my life and have worn a variety of camo patterns/colors. I've stood out in the middle of a wheat field wearing basic olive drab camo and had deer walk by seemingly oblivious to me. Even had a bird land on my bow quiver in my lap once while I was sitting under a tree. To this day I think that bird thought it was sitting on a branch the whole time it lit there. I've played with does as they feed around my stand by whistling while their head is down and they'd raise and look right at me, but would go right back to eating.
From my experience, the camo doesn't seem to make so much of a difference to big game. As long as threre is no specific pattern to it and breaks up the lines of your body. I really like using the Realtree camo, but I think it doesn't matter that much. I've hunted with people wearing the Desert Camo while in the middle of the woods and they seem to get as close to the animals as I have.
I won't say that it certainly doesn't make a difference, but I tend to shy away from extremely expensive specialty gear when I don't have proof that it is actually superior. My .02 cents
If you do get it, let us know how you like it.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:19 am

Lee,

I've found that in the spring, the east side of the state has more than enough green in the countryside to allow for "dual use" camo. I'm not familiar with the Sitka Optifade products and not sure who has them. I'd definitely give Sportco a call, as if they do have them, it will be at a near unbeatable price.

On a side note, as cool as it is to have ultra accurate camo patterns, the old standbys work in almost any situation you will find in our State. I use the Cabelas outfitter camo pattern and the old school Marine Corps woodland camo pattern as both use large blobs that really break up your outline and the colors compliment our surroundings.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:27 am

Thanks you guys, always helpful. I still have a set of old school BDUs and DCUs, but I'm going with Sitka because the craftsmanship is mountaineering style (windproof, breathable, etc.) This is the pattern:

Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lee

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:31 am

Should also note: Going to be hunting turkey first, and they can see color - so they have one up on me there (colorblind). Hopefully my new bow will even those odds out. :batman:
Lee

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:37 am

bionic_one wrote:Should also note: Going to be hunting turkey first, and they can see color - so they have one up on me there (colorblind). Hopefully my new bow will even those odds out. :batman:
Yeah, turkey are another matter. I've never hunted them myself, but my brother says their really wary. I'll modify my previous comment earlier. Camo pattern never really seemed to make a difference, but I will attest to quality of material. Wearing quality gear has it's merit.

Good luck Lee. Wish I had some time to go tease some turkey.....! :-" #-o
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:58 am

Turkey are still pea brained and the two things you need to remember is be really quite and be very still. The jakes are pretty bold and as long as you are quite and keep your movements to a minimum, you should have no problems bagging one. The older birds are the sly fellows and even so have come up to me within touching distance when I was deer hunting and wearing my required amount of orange, go figure.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:02 am

G-Man wrote:....The older birds are the sly fellows and even so have come up to me within touching distance when I was deer hunting and wearing my required amount of orange, go figure.
Well, that is because you were deer hunting! Can't count how many big bucks have walked right by me while I was elk hunting....they know when the seasons are....

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:05 pm

I'll definitely check SPORTCO. They don't always have the best price, but they will always price match, which saved me an hour+ drive when I got my bow.
Lee

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:28 pm

I've looked at the Sitka but the patters look to "bright" to me, and the price is way to much for my wallet. Cabelas has a lot of camo on sale on their website. I bought non waterproofs for warmer weather in "brush" and in "grassland" patterns. Hats, shirts (button up and T), pants, and gloves. All for less than 1 piece of Sitka would cost me.
Life's short - fish hard!

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:42 am

Well Cabela's selection of Sitka was awful, "we're out of season", even though they had ads up for 'spring turkey' EVERYWHERE.

The other places I checked had either bad selection or only $200 to $500 pieces. Not happening.

Solution: picked up Cabela's waterproof/breathable top (with hood) and bottom $80 and $70 and also picked up LS T-shirt 15$, and lightweight pants 19$. Hat, gloves, facemask, etc. all for 10 to 15$ each as well.
Lee

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:16 am

LOL Retail is always thinking 2 seasons ahead. I once tried to by a swim suit in Aug. and had a heck of a time finding one. All the winter clothes were on the racks. When I was working for Home Depot, it was 100º out and they were getting shipments of snow blowers in. Go figure.:scratch:

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:59 am

The big brown truck just delivered my new camo from Cabelas this morning. Looks good and everything fits just fine.
I went with inland patterns as this stuff will be for coyotes, ground squirrels, marmots, and prairie dogs.
I rarely drive down to their Lacey store. I usually do what I've always done and buy online. Selection is better as well as the prices. Being a 2X tall top and an XL reg bottom sized guy I've found that Cabelas is where I can find quality stuff that fits at a good price (when its on sale). The last store of theirs that I was in was their Sidney, NB flagship store just off I-80. I could feel the credit cards heating up and starting to smoke in my back pocket just walking around that store.
Life's short - fish hard!