Pike Rods???

NO, it's not a muskie, but it's close...
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Pike Rods???

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:06 am

Gonne be fishing for pike soon,
although I dont know what kind of rods would be good
for these fish. I thought my 8'6 Salmon Rod would be
a good choice.
Thanks Guys :salut:
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:Pike Rods???

Post by YJ Guide Service » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:00 pm

Actually you dont need a super big pole for Pike. I use a 7'8 med and also a 6'6 med both lamiglas rods. If you were fishing Muskie i woud suggest a med heavy to heavy 7-8ft rod depending on what type of lures your fishing. I worry more about matching the pole and reels to the type of lures i fish. We've caught 46" muskie on a 6' meduim action pole. Good luck fishing. Where are you planning on fishing for the Pike.
YJ Guide Service 509-999-0717

Official WashingtonLakes.com Guide Sponsor
YJ Guide Service Guide/Owner
Jerry's Lure Design Field Staff

We fish for Sturgeon, Chinook Salmon, Walleye, Burbot, Tiger Muskie, Rainbow Trout, Channel Cats and Largemouth Bass

dougw
Commander

Post by dougw » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:00 pm

That will work fine for most fish you encounter. May be a little too slow on the action side, which will be made up for on the length end of it.
President
Chapter 60, Muskies Inc.
Mountain Muskies
http://www.mountainmuskies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:20 pm

Yankin Jaw Guide Service wrote:Actually you dont need a super big pole for Pike. I use a 7'8 med and also a 6'6 med both lamiglas rods. If you were fishing Muskie i woud suggest a med heavy to heavy 7-8ft rod depending on what type of lures your fishing. I worry more about matching the pole and reels to the type of lures i fish. We've caught 46" muskie on a 6' meduim action pole. Good luck fishing. Where are you planning on fishing for the Pike.
Lake Mary ! :cheers:

Thanks for the info guys!
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Natebg1
Lieutenant

Post by Natebg1 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:13 pm

Hello,

Well I can say from my experience fishing for Pike you can use anything between a 6' 7" and up to a 7' 5" depending on what you are comfortable with. I personally like to use a 6' 7" Rod whether it is a Flueger, Ugly Stick, or even a Inshore Saltwater Rod which there are many out there. My keys to Rods like this are the strength in between eyelets, meaning more support in each eyelet so instead of 2 bars maybe have 3 to even 4 which might be a little much. My other big thing is ensuring that the Rod I am using is between a Med to Med Heavy action so that I have enough control to where I can have presure on the fish but not to the point where I can horse the fish with every pull. My goal is more of pulling myself to the fish, instead of pulling the fish completely to me, easier said then done sometimes. Hopefully this helps, oh and one last thing, I personally would suggest a Super Braid line such as Sufix Braid in about 30 lbs test (for med Pike with regular size lures) up to 65 lbs test for (Large Pike and Tiger Muskie with large lures) but that is completely up to you and what you prefer. Enjoy and Good Luck!!!

Nate

sparky1doug
Lieutenant

Post by sparky1doug » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:20 am

You'll find that the rod may not be as important as the method your using. I use a 8'6" Redington Steelhead Rod with an Ambassidor Bait caster when I'm throwing Bucktail Spinners and Spoons. I do own a Diawa 7'6" rod with an Okuma spinning reel which is set up for swimbaits. Then just for fun an 8w Sage Fly Rod with a Ross Reel and a medium sink Slimline for those 4" to 6" flys. I'm of the belief that it's whatever feels comfortable to you for the lures and method your using. Can you throw that bait where you want, when you want, can you reel that lure fast enough?
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Forever Fishing Washington State" my fish friendly blog on Google.
http://foreverfishing-sparky1doug.blogspot.com/