Even year humpy

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
crankbait42
Commander

Even year humpy

Post by crankbait42 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:29 pm

Decided to stay close to home today and fish the Green for some steel. Well no luck for the steelhead but this little guy showed up. even year humpy. How long til they come up every year :#-o
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bassin253
Petty Officer

RE:Even year humpy

Post by Bassin253 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:16 pm

Where on the green was this and is that normal?

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:21 pm

No, at least I dont think its normal... I was fishing lower flaming geyser.

Bassin253
Petty Officer

Post by Bassin253 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:45 pm

Still leftover from last year still tryin to find a spot to spawn lol

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:51 pm

i heard a long time ago there were a couple of even year runs up north that got fished out. they were never as big an odd year run. maybe their population is gettin back up there that they can expand again. btw barrier dam on the cow counted two pinks last week, i've never heard of a run there before
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

code3daddy
Petty Officer

Post by code3daddy » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:37 pm

A couple weeks ago ifished the Hoh river and spoke with a native who said that he had netted a grip of silvers and about a dozen pinks. Appearantly they run every year just in smaller number.

Shane
Petty Officer

Post by Shane » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:07 pm

got 1 out of the puke 2 weeks ago talked to another on the puke that got 1 they had 2 n the cow last week

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:50 am

I dont think the fish follow the schedule set up by the WDFW.I have a feeling they (salmon) have their own agenda.Maybe if the state fined the salmon,they would adhere to the states rules better.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:27 am

There are a few even year humpy runs in a few Puget Sound Rivers.... Snohomish system has one as well....Not large runs by any means, but some do return on even years.
:)
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:29 am

Did you release it?

Salmon "always return to the river they were born in"

... except for those salmon that decide to wander off to new river systems. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any salmon in many rivers due to natural occurances, like volcanoes for example. Not only did those pinks show up in the Cowlitz in an EVEN year, there were also MULTIPLE sockeye salmon that showed up at the Cowlitz.

How large was the humpy? I wonder if this is a fish that has just survived as part of a natural 2 year cycle that was always present, or if it adapted to conditions and decided to show up after 3 years. Either way, kinda cool.
Lee

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:51 am

Blackmouth wrote:There are a few even year humpy runs in a few Puget Sound Rivers.... Snohomish system has one as well....Not large runs by any means, but some do return on even years.
:)
I haven't caught any on off years yet, but that is my understanding as well...
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

motorek
Petty Officer

Post by motorek » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:39 pm

By the way, I saw sockey salmon cought in the upper stilly on fly. Us I know Alaska pinks spawn in even years, maybe they are one of them? They could follow other salmon in the ocean. Interesting affair. The more fish in the river the better protection for endangered species too.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:43 pm

motorek wrote:By the way, I saw sockey salmon cought in the upper stilly on fly. Us I know Alaska pinks spawn in even years, maybe they are one of them? They could follow other salmon in the ocean. Interesting affair. The more fish in the river the better protection for endangered species too.
I would add the word Native to the last line of more fish. More native fish. If it were non native to a certain river system it could deplete food stocks or spawning room for the indigenous species.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:34 pm

Yes it was released, thanks for All the responses everyone. The humpy was typical probably 4lbs or so.