fishing Kayak Point

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
linesider33
Petty Officer

fishing Kayak Point

Post by linesider33 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:13 pm

i was thinking of trying my luck at Kayak Point on the pier and was wondering whats to catch out there and what to use as bait? saltwater is new to me and wanna learn.. i just want to catch any fish, nothing in particular.

Matt
Admiral

RE:fishing Kayak Point

Post by Matt » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:40 pm

There are a few fish to be had off of the pier there, occasionally you will see a big skate (cousin of the stingray) come off of there too. Most people just bottomfish off the end, use a big lead weight around 1-3 OZ on a dropper with about 2 feet of leader. Size your hook depending upon what you'd like to catch. There are bullheads, flounder, dogfish, catfish, and occasionally a little rockfish or two. I used to fish for dogfish when I was a kid, that can be pretty fun. For bait, pretty much any meat will do. Squid is great and catches everything and not only that it is super tough so the crabs have a tough time stripping your hook. Also herring, or anchovies work great, and worms are always a goto. If you are into perch fishing there are good schools of piling perch around the pilings too, I usually use a shrimp tail or squid for them and they can be pretty abundant at times. Basically just get out there and throw some bait in the water, you will catch SOMETHING, hahaha.

Come late summer and there will be salmon running through there; people throw buzz bombs off the pier or right off the shore and catch a few here and there. Crabbing season opens July 1st and it gets pretty packed with crabbers. Bring down your ring traps and take home a few keeper dungies while you fish. We would average 2-3 keepers for about 4 or 5 hours effort usually.

:cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:41 am

There might be some blackies milling around.If its a high tide going out use a balloon bobber and let the tide take it out. use a 3' leader with a whole herring on it.If its a slack tide use a large Vibrex (single hook) or a large Crokodile spoon.Other then that Matt called it right. Youll catch something even if its a Starry Flounder or Sculpin (bullhead).Its all good and all fun.With this crazy weather if you go at dark try squid jigging. Its really not this time of year but with this cold weather who knows.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:20 am

racfish wrote:With this crazy weather if you go at dark try squid jigging. Its really not this time of year but with this cold weather who knows.
Scratch that, the park closes at dusk #-o
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:33 pm

[quote="Matt"]There are a few fish to be had off of the pier there, occasionally you will see a big skate (cousin of the stingray) come off of there too. Most people just bottomfish off the end, use a big lead weight around 1-3 OZ on a dropper with about 2 feet of leader. Size your hook depending upon what you'd like to catch. There are bullheads, flounder, dogfish, catfish, and occasionally a little rockfish or two. I used to fish for dogfish when I was a kid, that can be pretty fun. For bait, pretty much any meat will do. Squid is great and catches everything and not only that it is super tough so the crabs have a tough time stripping your hook. Also herring, or anchovies work great, and worms are always a goto. If you are into perch fishing there are good schools of piling perch around the pilings too, I usually use a shrimp tail or squid for them and they can be pretty abundant at times. Basically just get out there and throw some bait in the water, you will catch SOMETHING, hahaha.

Come late summer and there will be salmon running through there]

I have fished a drop shot in the salt with my hook a good 12-18" off the weight and it seems to keep the crabs off it but still hooks not just rock fish and whatnot, but also the true bottom stuff like flounder/sole

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:11 pm

Thanks Matt . Thats good info. At dusk? Thats when fishing gets good. Hehehe.. I like saltwater fishing.I too use the drop shot method with double large worm (or snelled hooks). I prefer clam as a bait or shrimp.Herring works if theres nothing else but herring will seriously attract Doggies.The important thing is enjoy your time fishing.If you enjoy your time then you've done real well. Good Luck
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

shallow
Angler

Post by shallow » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:49 pm

Spent many hours fishing the beach for sea-run cutthroat and dolly varden here. The beach south of the pier casting trout gear 6-7' rod, 4lb test with spoons/spinners to match. I great luck with fly rod and small fish imitations 9' 4-5 weight rod floating line 8' leader to 4lb test.