Yea it's tough!

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Trent Hale
Commander

Yea it's tough!

Post by Trent Hale » Sun May 02, 2010 8:16 pm

I'm reading posts on bass fishing with some of the posts blame the weather for the slow bite. Keep on guys the fish are biting this is the prespawn and the bass of a life time is waiting for you to put it right in there face. If you have a go to bait use it now no matter what it is. Quit changing up stay with your baits. I will fish the jig the whole time I'm out and pick up some lunkers. The fish are shallow, yea I said shallow!! So fish right now the same you would do in mid summer. There are many fishing trips that I will make two or more trips around the lake. Docks are very good to fish. Always fish the shaded areas good. When you get a fish from under a dock there are more under that dock! The same with wood cover. So don't let the weather plan your trips. The fish will bite in bad,cold,wet,windy weather this close to the spawn. Good luck and fish on! HAWG HUNTER.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

skimpy
Commander

RE:Yea it's tough!

Post by skimpy » Sun May 02, 2010 8:37 pm

=d> =d> =d>
I agree. I went out today and stuck it out through the rain and wind and got a decent one.:pig:
Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/thatguyskimpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Sun May 02, 2010 8:53 pm

Great advice, Trent! :thumleft:
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Mon May 03, 2010 8:50 am

I agree 100% Trent !!
I went smallie fishing this past wkend on Lk Sammie , First thing i did was checked a few Beds with No luck , Checked a few spawning flats with No Luck !!

I noticed that the water temps had droped back down to around 51 , so i decided to pull back out in a little deeper water and focused my efforts on weed lines , rock , wood . Didnt take long at all before i started picking fish apart one after another ..

These same fish will push back up after as the wheather conditions stabilize over the next few days but my point here is that they are still eating good and plenty of fish to be had .. Making small adjustments and having confidence in your baits will keep anyone on fish this time of year ! Keep casting ...Good post Trent :-)

Crankbaits , Jerkbaits , football head accounted for all my fish catch (More than one way to skin a cat) :fish:

BBD

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

f1sh1nf00l
Warrant Officer

Post by f1sh1nf00l » Mon May 03, 2010 12:40 pm

I'm wishin' that I wasn't working 7 days a week right now! If I could, I'd be out there every day, rain or shine. It's driving me crazy not being able to fish this time of year!!:bounce:
Get out there and get em'!

lemagoat
Warrant Officer

Post by lemagoat » Mon May 03, 2010 1:44 pm

I went out Friday thru sun, The weather was cold rainy and very windy, and got fish, maybe not as many dinks and tons of action as you would get in summer. Sun I did manage to get 2 over 5lbs and lost another at the boat close to 5lbs. The night before I missed a decent one on the same lake and my partner threw behind me and caught the male. The next day in the same spot I figured i'd try to get the female who I missed the night before I used a jig and got a good hit and missed it. threw the jig right back and boated her, 5lbs and full of eggs. They are on the bite and those waiting for the good weather are gonna miss out. Get out there!
Live life, Love your wife, drive a goat, Catch a hog and be happy

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Mon May 03, 2010 3:10 pm

That is my basic attitude too and I don't even let being shorebound stop me. Great advice.

Fish tough or go home.:bball:

Phill Smart
Petty Officer

Post by Phill Smart » Mon May 03, 2010 3:11 pm

Water temps are not the same for small lakes VS large lakes and neither are the spanwing cycles.So I would assume wont be missing out to much yet.

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:32 am

Hey Phil, Don't assume to much! your missing out. The fish are and have been on the bite. Just last weekend I was able to cull four or 5 fish a day in a club tourney at potholes. Once I found the pattern, the smallies were pounding it. Classsic pre-spawn. Like Des said they are moving up and pushing back. But they are healthy fish. No dinks. It's hard fishing all right, the big winds busted up my boat pretty good, broken mis-aligned battery in trolling motor from getting pounded, my black max couling came un attached and sunk at my fingertips in rough water, rear hatch cover broke off and fell in, fitting for one livewell broke when one trolling battery went flying, bildge pump switch broke, fishfinder/GPS broke off mount, then at the end of the day Sunday trailering my poor boat the cylinoid for the trim down didn't work, but hey, with no couling it was easy to cross wire. The bite can be tough but so can other things.

basspro
Warrant Officer

Post by basspro » Tue May 04, 2010 6:57 am

Can't agree with you more. The fish have been shallow since March and are biting. You just have to figure out what they want and present it correctly. We can all blame the weather, but I choose to figure out the puzzle and give these fish what they want.

Be patient guys days of easy fishing are just aaround the corner.

Russ

Slabking
Petty Officer

Post by Slabking » Tue May 04, 2010 8:32 am

I agree with most everthing said here. Really, I love fishing when the weather is like this because there are fewer boats on the water and the fish will be a little more willing to bite with less pressure on them. The fish are there and they have no choice but to eat. It's our job to figure out what they want and put it right in front of their faces. I figured out long ago that the largest fish will have finished spawning and moved back out before the "nice" weather starts here. No offense at all but by the time a lot of guys start beating the banks the bigger fish are behind them and resting up from spawning. Mid-May is too late on a lot of lakes while on others they'll just be getting going. Lake choice, time on the water, and lure selection play a key role as always. Also, if you spend some time figuring out how to catch the fish out deep you'll nail them almost everytime you head out. There's always fish hanging on deeper structure. That's not always the case up shallow.
Need to know more about crappie in Washington? Washington Crappie Page

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Tue May 04, 2010 10:00 am

Slabking wrote: I agree with most everthing said here. Really, I love fishing when the weather is like this because there are fewer boats on the water and the fish will be a little more willing to bite with less pressure on them. The fish are there and they have no choice but to eat. It's our job to figure out what they want and put it right in front of their faces. I figured out long ago that the largest fish will have finished spawning and moved back out before the "nice" weather starts here. No offense at all but by the time a lot of guys start beating the banks the bigger fish are behind them and resting up from spawning. Mid-May is too late on a lot of lakes while on others they'll just be getting going. Lake choice, time on the water, and lure selection play a key role as always. Also, if you spend some time figuring out how to catch the fish out deep you'll nail them almost everytime you head out. There's always fish hanging on deeper structure. That's not always the case up shallow.

100% dailed in SlabKing :batman:

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant