I want to get into tournaments - have pointers, teammates etc?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
surenough
Petty Officer

I want to get into tournaments - have pointers, teammates etc?

Post by surenough » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:08 pm

I want to be a better fisherman and I figure what better way to do it than to be around Pros and semi pros with background and knowledge. Now, my biggest problem is how to get started, who to talk to and where to go. If any one else is interested in the same things that I am please post it and share it. I would love to meet some people that would like to get into as I would. Im looking for fresh water, I do not have a boat and I think that would be the biggest problem to overcome.

I dont mind putting in 110% to learn even if its a pan fish tourney! It just seems like a good time.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:I want to get into tournaments - have pointers, teammates etc?

Post by Amx » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:24 pm

Couple questains so don't get insulted.

How old are you?

In high school or college?

What species of fish are you mostly interested in fishing for in tourneys?

What kind of fishing equipment do you have? Bass? Pan fish? Trout? Salmon? Steelhead?

How long have you been fishing and for what species?

The best way to go is to join a club that fishes for the species of fish you are interested in. Ride along with a few people in the club during tourneys and pay attention to what they fish with and how they fish/work any given lure.

Go fun fishing with as many people that you can.

Go to as many clinics as you can.

Read as many books and magazines as you can on the fish that you like.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:10 pm

First thing I would do would be join a club. Find one in your area and learn that way. (cough) Hawg Hunters (cough) Fish there tournies, see if you like it. You'll find money can go fast fishing tournaments. So if you got a ton to spend and feel you can do it, go for it. Otherwise, hang with a club for a little bit, learn, fish some club tournies and opens and then go from there.

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

surenough
Petty Officer

Post by surenough » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:53 am

Amx wrote:Couple questains so don't get insulted.

How old are you?

In high school or college?

What species of fish are you mostly interested in fishing for in tourneys?

What kind of fishing equipment do you have? Bass? Pan fish? Trout? Salmon? Steelhead?

How long have you been fishing and for what species?

The best way to go is to join a club that fishes for the species of fish you are interested in. Ride along with a few people in the club during tourneys and pay attention to what they fish with and how they fish/work any given lure.

Go fun fishing with as many people that you can.

Go to as many clinics as you can.

Read as many books and magazines as you can on the fish that you like.
Im 31

Work full time

Freshwater, from the bank Salmon, Muskie, Pike.

I have rods & reels for Bass, Salmon, Steelhead, Trout.

Been fishing for about 2 years, mainly Salmon(rivers) - little steelhead (rivers). Lots of trout(lakes Rivers) Fishing from the pier (Edmonds for Salmon Bottom fish)

I read as much as I can (have time for) I know education is the best remidie. I also feel like I am kinda old to get into a new hobby, but I had an accident where I lost a friend and I got injured. Closed 2 businesses - so I needed something to help me start over and relax. Now I feel its time to enjoy it on another level.

I appreciate the responses and I hope we can keep it going.
Thanks!
Adam

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:04 am

surenough wrote:
Im 31

Work full time

Freshwater, from the bank Salmon, Muskie, Pike.

I have rods & reels for Bass, Salmon, Steelhead, Trout.

Been fishing for about 2 years, mainly Salmon(rivers) - little steelhead (rivers). Lots of trout(lakes Rivers) Fishing from the pier (Edmonds for Salmon Bottom fish)

I read as much as I can (have time for) I know education is the best remidie. I also feel like I am kinda old to get into a new hobby, but I had an accident where I lost a friend and I got injured. Closed 2 businesses - so I needed something to help me start over and relax. Now I feel its time to enjoy it on another level.

I appreciate the responses and I hope we can keep it going.
Thanks!
Adam

I new to tournament fishing my self. I listen, listen, listen when around other anglers. I watch the Sat and Sun morning fishing shows.

I just put myself into the middle of it. I joind this site for starters, met a musky dude, joined a club. Cant say Im a pro now but I sure enjoy the peace when out on a quiet lake with my best friend (MissElley).

110%... naw. Its for fun.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

bcalvert
Lieutenant

Post by bcalvert » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:19 am

surenough wrote:I read as much as I can (have time for) I know education is the best remidie. I also feel like I am kinda old to get into a new hobby, but I had an accident where I lost a friend and I got injured. Closed 2 businesses - so I needed something to help me start over and relax. Now I feel its time to enjoy it on another level.
I just got into Bass fishing last year (at 40) - It has pushed all my other hobbies to the back burner. I am currently following the advise that others here have given. Joined a club, will be fishing in my first club tourney at the end of the month. Put myself around like minded people who are better than myself. Actively being part of this site and others, attending tournaments as a spectator to meet new people and listen, listen, listen.

IMHO, it is never too late!
Washington State Pond Jumperz
Washington's First Electric Only Bass Club
Hosting five open entry electric motor bass tournaments in 2012.

For the rich, there is therapy. For the rest of us, there is FISHING!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:43 am

So, if you'd been in high school or college, then you could join the school's fishing club, or even have started one yourself. There is a guy that is active that way and now he is 18 and sponcered by a major bass boat company and other fishing lure, ect. companies.

So, the best thing to do is join a family type club, that caters to the whole family, and fish their tournaments and learn from all the people that you can, like Western Bass, they meet in Renton. Watch all the fishing shows on tv, all species of fish, not just bass. Buy or rent videos or DVDs to see what all can be done with any type of lure, and where to fish them.
Tom.

Interests: living

surenough
Petty Officer

Post by surenough » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:28 pm

I agree 100%. I watch a ton of videos, love em. I watched "The Great Rod Race" several times and enjoy it alot. Its UK but some good principles and entertaining. So with all that said, time to find more time. Im a manager for CLEAR wireless internet so that takes up a few hours there - but mark my words I will chase some of you guys down and spend some time with you. I would love that!! Take care and talk to all tomorrow.
PS any one need wireless 4G internet on the go or home?

Tight Lines!
Adam

basspro
Warrant Officer

Post by basspro » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:22 pm

Adam,

Joining a local bass club is the fastest way for you to learn how to catch more bass. I am involved with the Western Bass Club because it has a great group of folks that love to teach others on how to catch more bass. You can check us out at westernbassclub.com.

Or contact me and I can fill you in.

Russ

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:33 am

Hey Adam, Northend Bass Club meets at the Crystal Creek Cafe in Bothell on the 1st Tuesday of every month. Your certainly welcome to come by and say hi and see what you think. Although I've fished all my life I didn't know one sole in the bass fishing community when I joined. It's been a great experience and I would recomend it to any bass fisherman who wants to compete in tournaments. I mentioned Northend because it looks like their in your backyard. But I believe any club that belongs to WSBF would be cool. Since joining I've met some great people from around the state. Great competitors that keep you on your toes, but also good people.

surenough
Petty Officer

Post by surenough » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:04 pm

Thats awesome, I will have to look it up. Thank alot!!

Livin4Fishin
Petty Officer

Post by Livin4Fishin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:18 pm

One thing I did was to ask someone on the lake. Not all are willing to give you the time of day but eventually someone will. I had been trying to get into bass fishing for a while and seen all the shows and read the articles with no luck. After aproaching a few bass anglers on the water to no avail, I met a guy named trent out on a lake here in kitsap county. Spent the next 2 hours or so showing me what i was doing wrong and right. Since then I am catching bass. just got me about a six pounder. Now just practice is all i need to hone the meager skills i have. Good luck. Oh ya what the others said is great advice too!
Have a son and you'll have a fishin partner for life.