COURAGE ,BRAVERY,GOD REST HIS SOUL

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

COURAGE ,BRAVERY,GOD REST HIS SOUL

Post by racfish » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:49 am

Courage.

You're a 19 year old kid.

You're critically wounded and dying in
the jungle somewhere in the Central Highlands of Viet Nam .

It's November 11, 1967.

LZ (landing zone) X-ray.

Your
unit is outnumbered 8-1 and the enemy fire is so intense, from 100 yards
away, that your CO (commanding officer) has ordered the MedEvac helicopters to
stop coming in.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns and you know you're not getting out.

Your family is half way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again.

As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day.

Then - over the machine gun noise - you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter.

You look up to see a Huey coming in. But ... It doesn't seem real because no MedEvac markings are on it.

Captain Ed Freeman is coming in for you.

He's not MedEvac so it's not his job, but he heard the radio call and decided he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire anyway.

Even after the MedEvacs were ordered
not to come. He's coming anyway.

And he drops it in and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 3 of you
at a time on board.

Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire to the doctors and nurses
and safety.

And, he kept coming back!! 13 more times!!
Until all the wounded were out. No one knew until the mission was over that the Captain had been hit 4 times in the legs
and left arm.

He took 29 of you and your buddies out that day. Some would not have made it without the Captain and his Huey.

Medal of Honor Recipient, Captain Ed Freeman, United States Air Force,
died last Wednesday at the age of 70, in Boise, Idaho ..

May God Bless and Rest His Soul.

I bet you didn't hear about this
hero's passing, but we've sure seen
a whole bunch about Michael
Jackson and Tiger Woods.

Medal of Honor
Winner Captain Ed Freeman

Shame on the American media !!!

Now ... YOU pass this along to YOUR
mailing list. Honor this real American.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:COURAGE ,BRAVERY,GOD REST HIS SOUL

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:51 pm

Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smokum
Petty Officer

Post by smokum » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:56 am

Yes indeed, SHAME on the American Media and to those who spat upon the men and women who so valiantly served our country.

WAY too much coverage on the Tiger's of the world and the Kate Gosselins crying their sorry eyes out on TV and the John Edwards' etc of this world.

When a true American Hero's passing goes so little-noticed it is a sad thing indeed.

God Bless that man and may he rest in peace.

I will be passing this article along to my buddies who served and to many others who will appreciate what Captain Freman did for his country.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never let the TRUTH get in the way of a good fish story!!

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:05 am

This email surfaces every time a controversial celebrity dies. It does no real justice towards this man's true heroic actions. It will surface again in the future with different celebrity names attached.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2009/07/1 ... lling.html

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:56 pm

I didnt know this surfaces as much as it does. I saw the article and felt somewhat depressed that no one remembered this guy.Thanks Marc for setting it straight.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:35 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:This email surfaces every time a controversial celebrity dies. It does no real justice towards this man's true heroic actions. It will surface again in the future with different celebrity names attached.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2009/07/1 ... lling.html
While that's true, did his story make CNN?

One other thing to note: People like to read about tiger woods and gosselin because it makes them feel better about themselves, reading about a hero, generally does not. I'm not trying to condone that, or justify it, but maybe help you understand why you see that crap.

News companies are companies, and are in the business of making money. Be it through fear, loathing, or whatever means available.
Lee

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:15 pm

It made MSNBC. And also, he was not in the Air Force, but in the Army.

http://dailynightly.msnbc.msn.com/archi ... 65756.aspx

First, I want to say that I am a veteran. I served honorably in the Air Force during Vietnam. I participated in the largest B52 bombing campaign of the entire war. While stationed on Guam I serviced and launched over 270 bombers headed for Vietnam. Those bombers saved a lot of G.I. lives on the ground in the jungles of Vietnam. I am not a hero by any means. However, the crews that flew those planes into SAM missile barrages were heroes. Some did not return.

Where were all these patriotic emails before the gulf war? What bothers me most about this is that these are sprinkled about the internet like electronic yellow ribbons. As if to prove that you are a REAL patriotic American by passing this information on. How many of the people that pass this on actually served in the military? How many of these people during the Vietnam War were protesting on the streets while we were serving. How many of these people were making comments like "Baby Killer!" like I got when I returned to the states. How many of these people now feel guilty about their rebellion in the 60's against Vietnam and are cleansing their souls by waving a flag and passing around emails about veterans of a forgotten war. I would venture to say that many of these people passing these on weren't even born when that war ended. The politicians told the nation, "This won't be another Vietnam".......... BS

This man deserves a military honor guard at his graveside each Memorial Day. Not flighty little emails in association with Hollywood celebrities or sports figures who's personal lives are none of our business.

Guys, I apologize for being firm on this and nothing is directed at any who posted here. Having participated in that war and losing friends, my feelings run real deep.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:39 am

I wonder if it's my own sense of self preservation that tells me to believe the words of the politicians when they say this isn't another Vietnam.

Numerically it certainly isn't, and the country seems to be more supportive of the Soldiers, if not of the war itself.

I guess I'm just not able to hear someone say we went over there for no reason, and I believe we didn't. For me, there will always be a reason.

I keep hearing all this "the Russians lost, everyone who ever went there lost" - well everyone that ever went there went to TAKE the place. We're not there to take it. We're there to fix it, and leave. Maybe we'll fail, but I doubt it. Maybe we won't completely fix it, but it's already better than how it was before we got there.

Some people think I'm too radical on this, but I really wish our citizenship was setup like some of Heinlein's ideas.

I remember talking to my family on the phone, listening to them complain about how hard of a time they were having with the air conditioner out for a whole day. I could smell tires and human waste burning, and looked across the wire at all the mud hut homes outside our base. I decided I couldn't listen anymore, and hung up the phone.
Lee

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:06 pm

Of course it is self preservation. That is human nature. Everyone wants to believe that they did the right thing.

There is a stigma about Vietnam that is still present today. Today the word Vietnam is used as an example. In the early days of the Gulf Wars, it was said as stated above, "This won't be another Vietnam". "We won't make the same mistakes that we did in Vietnam".

Now, take for instance the Veterans Of Foreign Wars, the VFW. Here is their Mission Statement:

Our Mission-
The VFW is dedicated to supporting those who sacrifice so much for this country—veterans, service members in the US Armed Forces, and their families.

Do I belong to the VFW? No. Why? Because I am not ELIGIBLE. To meet VFW's eligibility a service member during the Vietnam War you had to have received the Vietnam Service Medal. To be awarded that medal, you had to have been physically within certain longitudinal and latitudinal borders around Vietnam. My direct involvement in the launching of those 270 bombing missions flown out of Guam don't count. On my DD Form 214, it lists my awards. I have the National Defense Service Medal and the Air Force Good Conduct Medal. Neither qualify for the VFW. I can remember way back when the VFW didn't want to accept Vietnam veterans because Vietnam was never a declared war.

However, since 2003 the VFW has had a change of heart. They now accept service members who where awarded the Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon

Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon

On June 18, 2003, the Secretary of the Air Force approved the Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon as recognition for deployed status. The AFESR is awarded to Air Force active duty, Reserve and Guard personnel who complete a contingency deployment after Oct. 1, 1999.

Criteria
This is an Air Force achievement award and consists of a ribbon-only (there is no medal).
-- The Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon is awarded to military members of the Air Force who are credited with completion of a contingency deployment.
-- Deployment is defined as either deployment on contingency, exercise, deployment orders or members sourced in direct support (in-theater or out) of expeditionary operations with an overnight away-from-home station, destination or location of the temporary duty.
-- There is no time limit to accumulate the 90 non-consecutive days (members keep accumulating contingency temporary duty days until they reach 90 days).
-- The intent of this ribbon is one Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon for each deployment (provided the required deployment days are met). It is not intended to be awarded in multiples corresponding to each 45 consecutive days deployed.
-- Permanent party personnel assigned to air expeditionary units also are eligible to receive the AFESR after Oct. 1, 1999. Permanent party members assigned to Air Expeditionary Task Force units may qualify to receive both the AFESR and the Overseas Short/Long Tour Ribbon by meeting the 45 consecutive day requirement without adjustment to tour status. Permanent party members assigned to AETF units also qualify for the combat Gold Border.
-- Members on an overseas short tour may receive both the Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon and the Overseas Short Tour ribbon, provided they meet the requirements of both
-- To qualify for this ribbon, individuals must have deployed for 45 consecutive days or 90 nonconsecutive days on a deployed status.
-- Any contingency deployment qualifies, overseas or stateside, regardless of the duty,.

Everyone who serves in the military wants to believe it is for a good cause. Let's only hope that in 40 years from now they won't be saying "This isn't going to be another Iraq" "Vietnam War? Never heard of it. When was that?"

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:54 pm

wow Marc, that is totally wrong regarding your service and the VFW. So are you elligible now?

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:53 pm

I recently checked the VFW eligibility list and it hasn't changed. No I'm not. And the thousands of other people, men and women, that served in support duty of the war aren't either. While on Guam, I was crew chief qualified, meaning that I was qualified to fly on a B52 bombing mission as the aircraft maintenance NCO. If I had volunteered for one mission and flown over Vietnam, I would have been awarded the Vietnam Service Medal. Many guys volunteered for flight status simply because it meant more money, hazardous duty pay. My wife was expecting our baby at the time and she did not want me in a combat zone. Her brother had just been killed in Khe Sanh 2 years prior. At that same time, her other brother was severely wounded, also in Khe Sanh. They joined the Marines together and they deployed together. Respecting her request, I did not volunteer for active flight status.

After getting out of the service and going back to school, I was sitting in a lounge one Saturday evening having a scotch visiting with a guy that belonged to the VFW. He asked me if I had joined. I told him I never really thought about it. He encouraged me to join and took down my service information and phone number and he would check with his post commander. I got a call from him a couple of days later and much to his surprise and mine, he told me I couldn't join.

I remember reading that the memberships in veterans organizations like the VFW in the 1990's was dropping fast due to the old vets from WWII and Korea were passing on. Many posted were either closed or combined with other posts.

So many years have pasted since the Vietnam era. Two summers ago, we took the kids and grand kids to Fairchild's Air Show. My son and I walked over to the B-52 on display. We walked into the bomb bay and the pilot was telling a group of people how the B-52 played a big roll in the Gulf War. I told him that I had worked on these during Vietnam on Guam. His eyes lit up and a big smile came across his face. He told me his dad had flown them out of Guam in 1972, before he was even born. As we were walking down the ramp, my son asked me "you were over in Guam when that guy's dad flew them?" I chuckled and told him I most likely signed off the aircraft forms to him and talked with him on the intercom during engine start up.

Small world...

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:54 am

Thanks for your patriotic service Marc. I am one of those old Korea Vets and was deployed over seas for 30 continuous months. The brave, patriotic vets of the Vietnam War certainly did not get the appreciation they so well deserved. The same might also be said of the Korean Vets. The Korean War was often referred to as a "Police Action," or "The Korean Conflict." It was later aptly called "The Forgotten War." It was, however a very real war to thousands of brave young Americans who paid the ultimate price -- with 33, 741 killed and another 92,124 seriously wounded. The wounded figure does not include those who were lightly wounded and returned to action. And, 7,245 were taken prisoner of War. Of these, 2,847 died in prison camps. And, 2,847 were missing in action and later declared dead. I, for one will never forget the sacrifices made by these brave young Americans during "The Forgotten War." May God bless America and all of it's brave, patriotic Vets.
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:31 am

Nicely put Bob.I will agree with the fact that all our vets deserve more then whats given to them as far as respect and honor goes.Thanks to all y'all and your military service.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:23 pm

I feel your pain Marc. I, too, cannot join the VFW despite having earned the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for the Grenada conflict because, like you, I didn't physically set foot on Grenada, yet my support role was considered crucial to the effectiveness of the expeditionary force we sent there. :-"

I served during what the Dept of Veteran's Affairs officially calls "the Peacetime" and "Gulf War Era" ('77 - '95) and I served 3 1/2 years ('79 - '83) on foreign soil, Japan, early in my career. While in Japan I was assigned to a communications Engineering and Installation Squadron and even spent 6 months at Andersen AFB. I probably walked some of the same ground you did while part of a team installing the solid state instrument landing system in early 1980.

While it might be a sore spot for not being eligible to join the VFW, I don't need to belong to an organization to enjoy the benefits. All veterans should feel proud of their service, I am. Thank you. :salut:
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:18 pm

I was hoping that you would chime in on this thread Bob, because I knew you were a Korean vet. If ever there was a forgotten war, Korea is it. It was vastly over shadowed by the victory in Germany and Japan in WWII and the growing Cold War with the Soviet Union. Growing up in the '50's, I can't remember anyone talking about Korea. The conversations I heard as a child were of WWII. There was a great fear growing at the same time of nuclear war. Remember the door to door bomb shelter salesman and the "Duck and Cover" film strip you would see at the theater just before the main attraction? Korea, forgotten.

It is both interesting and sad how our nation views military campaigns. Unless it is a decisive win for the nation like World Wars I & II, the action is called a conflict. The word conflict has a much softer impact. I hate the word. Korea and Vietnam were flipping (to use clean language) wars. Period. The Vietnam War cost the United States 58,000 lives and 350,000 casualties. The U.S. losses in Korean War were placed at over 54,000 dead and 103,000 wounded. Between those two wars, the deaths add up to the population of Bellevue.

I'm sure that Bionic-one and many other recent vets today are wondering the same thing that we thought about many years ago. Is our nation supporting us? With Vietnam, it started as a glorious fight against communist aggression and ended with the outrage of Kent State. When "Shock and Awe" was televised on every network and people were glued to their big screen T.V.'s for hours, the support was fully there. We were kicking butt. It was easy going with "little resistance". But as the war drug on and the casualties from the I.E.D's started adding up, the support started going down. The latest Gallup Poll results when they asked people if the Iraq invasion was a mistake showed that 58% thought that it was a mistake, while 39% thought it was not a mistake.

Gone are the 15 minute daily updates of the war on the evening news. I just watched the CBS Evening News and there was no mention of Iraq or Afghanistan. The antenna flags are rarely seen anymore along with the support your troops magnetic ribbons. The public now is focusing on health care, immigration, jobs and the economy. Americans like a good fight, however, they want it short and decisive.

Old men make wars. Young men die in them. It has been that way from the dawn of time. Unfortunately, every generation has to have their own wars. Bob's generation, my generation and Bionic-one's generation, we all have had our wars. Is one more important than the other? That is irrelevant. Blood draining in the snow in Korea, the swamps of Vietnam, or the sands of the Middle East, is still American blood. It is not astounding that veterans from WWII, Korea, Vietnam and the Gulf have one thing in common. When they are interviewed and begin to weep on camera, they stop, regain their composure and say "I'm sorry......".
For What!? For serving your country? For being human and feeling the true pain of war?

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:27 am

hewesfisher wrote:the Dept of Veteran's Affairs officially calls "the Peacetime" and "Gulf War Era" ('77 - '95)
Just to clarify, the VA does not dictate those service 'eras'. Congress sets those.

As a nation, the general populous has always waned away from supporting a war effort when there are no clear victories.

If any honorably discharged Veterans have questions about VA Benefits, please send me a PM.
Lee

SAPIplate
Warrant Officer

Post by SAPIplate » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:12 pm

I collect Vietnam militaria and doing Living History type stuff, and I didn't know he died until you mentioned it, which is unfortunate. This is another example of how American media has changed. Instead of reporting important events, such as this hero's death, they talk about useless Hollywood horse **** like Tiger Woods and "Octo-mom". It's sad that many of todays young people don't know where or when Vietnam is/was or even where Iraq and A-Stan are and why we are there, but nearly any teenager can name all of Lady Gaga's number one hits off hand, or knows the name of every one in the top ten of American Idol.
Release Wild Steelhead
Pink Salmon Fan
Salmo trutta