For dog lover's only

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
hewesfisher
Admiral

For dog lover's only

Post by hewesfisher » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:21 am

I said that because those of you who are true dog lovers will understand. I had to say goodbye to my 9yr old yellow lab Amber yesterday. She had been having some rough days lately, and a CT scan showed a massive brain tumor that had eaten away a large portion of her skull. It was in her sinuses, behind her eyes, down into her jaw, and all the way to the back of her head. It was inoperable and untreatable. With great difficulty I let her be euthanized. If you're a dog lover, and have one or more you're really attached to, give him or her a hug from me.

Rest in peace Amber. May you chase tennis balls and chew socks for all eternity. [crying]
mybuddy.jpg
Last edited by hewesfisher on Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

eat-sleep-fish
Warrant Officer

Re: For dog lover's only

Post by eat-sleep-fish » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:30 am

Deepest condolences Phil, tough loosing a family member. I will squeeze my dog and say a prayer for Amber when I get home. Fishing is an amazing therapy, take a trip to Rosie for some of those nice bows you've been catching.

needs2hunt
Warrant Officer

Post by needs2hunt » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:28 am

Sorry to hear... I know what your going through... lost Maggie 14 year old German Shepard to cancer 5 years ago... Dogs are family... took me 4 years to finally get a new family member... best of luck< and I will give Sasha a big ole hug for Amber...

She's waiting for you at the rainbow bridge...

The Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies
that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm
and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health
and vigour; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again,
just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and
looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers.
Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs
carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your
special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.

The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head,
and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your
life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:44 pm

Sorry to hear it hewesfisher, sounds like Amber spent 9 yrs in a loving home and was well cared for. It's tough and the 2nd guessing can drive one mad but you made the right decision.
We're more of a cat family currently, maybe a dog in the future, but a loved one is a loved one and it's hurts when they're gone. Take care of yourself!

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:54 pm

Sorry to hear it hewesfisher I had to do the same thing for my 17YO yellow lab a couple years ago. It is a tough decision to make and an even tougher one to follow through on. I am sorry for your loss..
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:46 pm

Im really sorry for your loss too. When we lost our boxer we were really upset misses cried for days and my dad gave me some good advice..."go get another dog" in fairness in worked.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:23 pm

9 years is way too young.

RIP Image
Tom.

Interests: living

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:54 am

Amx wrote:9 years is way too young.

RIP Image
It wouldn't hurt so bad if it were 12 - 14yrs or more, sure, it would still hurt but not as bad as it does.

In late December 2012 she was displaying signs of what I could only describe as though she had a migraine headache.

To keep it short, she was misdiagnosed by my regular vet last year with Masticatory Muscle Myositis. This was confirmed by two separate vets Tuesday and Wednesday this week. I feared there was a tumor and/or cancer a year ago and conveyed my concern to my regular vet. Following his diagnosis, he assured me it was not, it was MMM which presented in a similar manner.

Sadly, I was right all along. The only redeeming factor in all of this is the vet who saw her Monday, and the one she referred me to on an emergency basis Wednesday morning (was the only way I could get Amber in for the CT scan before the 30th), both told me the tumor was there at least a year ago, and even if properly diagnosed, would have been inoperable/untreatable at that time. They also told me the corticosteroid treatment (Prednisone) Amber was prescribed for the myositis was a powerful anti-inflammatory and probably the best thing that could have been done. So, my regular vet missed the tumor, and purely by accident, prescribed a treatment that, unbeknownst to him, helped Amber have a somewhat normal life this past year despite the tumor. By accident, I was spared the heartache until Amber's skull was eaten away so much she could not longer tolerate the pain. [crying]

I've learned a lot this week, and when the pain subsides and I get another yellow lab, I will also have a new caring, compassionate vet that will take very good care of her for me.

Thank you for all your kind words and thoughts, the sentiments have helped ease my broken heart.
Last edited by hewesfisher on Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Diamonddave
Petty Officer

Post by Diamonddave » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:40 am

I feel for your loss. I have had to put down a few of my best friends also a very hard thing to go thru, but for the sake of our beloved pets its the right thing to do. Remember the good times, the funny things, the unconditional love and may the love Amber gave you bring joyful thoughts your way. All tho we can never replace them when the time is right for you get another one to love, they bring us much joy. I truely believe that God put them on this earth to show us how we should love one another. God Bless

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:20 am

I'm so sorry for you. It one of the hardest decisions we all have to make. Was I soon enough or too soon? It's a horrible thing. I know you made the right call. [sad]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:18 am

Condolences Hewes.... Never an easy thing.....
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:01 am

sorry for you loss, we had just put the family dog and my dog of 14 years down a couple months. it sucks but sometimes its the right thing to do, just remeber the good times I am sure they out weigh the bad 1000 to 1
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:46 pm

Been through it over 100 times now, and it never gets easier. Grieve for your family member. They are closer than most relatives, and never as judgmental. They are worthy of our tears. Glad you did this tribute.