Retirement

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Retirement

Post by racfish » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:33 pm

Looks like it finally happened. I ve been laid off of the family business that has been struggling to stay alive the past 5 years. Looks like I'll get to fish and pursue a cooking job again. I'll need some line work in the kitchen again to refresh me. First will be something Ive never had to do before "unemployment". Oh well just another new chapter in my life. After my mother passed away I just lost my umph for this business. Im letting the younger blood take it over.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Retirement

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:16 pm

Sorry that these changes have hit you Rac. but on a positive note.... You belong in the kitchen Sir. Anybody who has known you for awhile on here can attest to that. You posts about weekend trips to fruit stands in E. WA. are written with enthusiasm of a 5 Star Olympic Peninnsula Steelhead trip. [thumbsup]
You'l find your way.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:27 am

The only big regret I have is after working at a business for 43 years ,I'm just asked to leave with no retirement,severence, or even a old gold watch. Thats what miffs me most.Just getting nothing hurts. C'est La Vie I guess.

dutchman2858
Commander

Post by dutchman2858 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:47 pm

Tough situation, Racfish. 100 years ago I wanted to work outdoors with fish and game. I started out studying fish and wildlife biology. About 1/2 way through I spent a year helping my dad in his "one man" electrical contracting company. I learned to rope houses and bend pipe and made some wages, but realized it wasn't what I wanted to do, and that he was perfectly content to go from job to job making it from month to month. After that year, I made sure to help him finish up any two man projects and went back to school.

It worked for him, but I was lucky to realize early that I wanted something different. I was able get a good job with the State of Alaska and put in 23 years doing what I enjoyed--working outdoors (putting up with the requisite amounts of political/supervisory bullshit, of course ](*,) ) and ended up with a pretty decent retirement.

No easy answer for you, of course. But after following your posts for sometime, I'm confident you'll find a way. Good luck.

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:49 pm

Rac,

I'm sorry to hear you're going to have to move on and probably just as sorry to hear no one you have been working with is bright enough to, at the very least, recognize your dedication to the business. If it is struggling, perhaps financial recognition is not possible, however if not even verbal recognition is afforded, and heaped on for all those years of service, then maybe there's a reason they are not successful. This will not only affect you but everyone who works for the company. If you can be let go with so little apparent regard, so can anyone else. And if that's the case, why should anyone go the extra mile? Why not go for it if something better comes along. Loyalty is a two way street. In a situation where things are bleak, squandering an opportunity to boost morale is simply bad business.

One of the things obvious about you since my time on this site is that you persevere. You've shared with us some of the hard times you've gone through and you always seem to make it, maybe a little bruised, and worse for wear, but you are an inspiration. You deserve better than this and with a little Karma, you'll end up with something better.

Best of luck, my friend!

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:28 pm

Sorry to hear about your forced job change after all these years. Get on unemployment and take a little time finding a new job that you will like. Sounds like cooking is in your future. Sorry about the lack of recognition after all that dedicated time.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:37 pm

Friday morn I needent wake up at 5 am. I'll sleep in till 6 instead. Tomorrow is my official start of being laid off.Im thinking of fishing the Snoqualmie or Sky. Too many natives in the Snoqualmie. Probably do Lewis Street.

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:53 am

You can probably file for unemployment aid.

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:03 am

You are not alone. I see good, hardworking people from businesses that have fallen to the "economic recovery" every week. One thing about recent regime "help" though, as a counselor, there are a lot more depressed folks. They can't afford to pay, but they are there.
The guys above are right. I've seen your posts, and read what is above. You're one of the ones that will make it. It'll be good to see future posts from you. May you be Blessed, sir!