PINKS for sale, $2 lbs

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
MarkFromSea
Admiral

PINKS for sale, $2 lbs

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:32 pm

We were shopping at Lake Forest Park Albertsons today when I found this. We had a good laugh about it. Hope you find it as entertaining. LOL
Attachments
albertsons pinks.jpg
albertsons pinks.jpg (200.94 KiB) Viewed 5640 times
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Re: PINKS for sale, $2 lbs

Post by bugmasta » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:50 pm

thats just wrong!!!!!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:43 pm

Why is it wrong. In our lives nothing is free. We all make money where we can in a downed economy. Its sad but I've seen people buy 2-4 salmon at a time like that. Most people who don't fish, don't know a pink from a silver. For the most part they are clueless. Also stores change names. Chums can be silver brites or Keta. Cool names sale fish. Is it ethical? probably not. I don't think its wrong. JMO. Its business as usual.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:58 pm

yup. Marketing 101 "Wild caught". Meaning not farmed. Not aware of anyone farm raising pink salmon.
[confused]

That said, for a family on a budget, that will go a long way. Good source of protein, healthy, and a whole lot better than taking the kids to McD's. It's also a lot better price than "wild caught" silvers which I saw a month ago at QFC for $14.99/pound. My jaw dropped on that one.

On the Skok thread we're talking about the waste of all those chums (many of which looked pretty bright to me). Let's face it, as anglers that have the means and knowledge and (in most cases) skills to go out and catch some very high quality fish, take good care of it, and enjoy it with friends and family. Most people aren't so lucky, or aware of what well cared for salmon tastes like, regardless of the type of salmon.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:31 pm

Robyn and I were just laughing cause they were "pinks", not in a can, in a grocery store... LOL

Nothing funny about the price, we remember the days that $2 got ya a pound of fresh SILVER salmon in the store.

I acknowledge it's good nutrition for a reasonable price for today's market.

LOL BUT THESE WERE PINKS, in the grocery store! LMAO
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:18 pm

Wild caught but were they already frozen? Thought; what waters were they caught in? They look like the ones we caught, size wise. This makes me think they were already frozen. 10 years ago I would have jumped on buying them.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:31 pm

Definitely frozen. I know, it's not something you see every day, and you don't see fish at that price, either. Between the pinks and the chums isn't it amazing the amount of biomass that returns to Washington State? We are so very fortunate. In many countries those fish would be manna to a starving population. Here they get dumped in huge piles like so much trash.

I wonder how many humans this earth can sustain?

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:45 pm

I wonder what "Wild Frozen" is? They freeze em in the wild??

We shop that Albertsons and that little seafood section they got in the back corner there can get pretty scary. I've seen king salmon fillets in there that were Pepto Bismal pink and looked like pudding :-&
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:35 pm

Thats a lot better than $4.99 lbs for farmed trout. Whats wrong is last season when they were being sold for $5 lbs by walmart in Marysville. I would have to agree much better than any fast food for a family.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:35 am

Gringo Pescador wrote:I wonder what "Wild Frozen" is? They freeze em in the wild??

We shop that Albertsons and that little seafood section they got in the back corner there can get pretty scary. I've seen king salmon fillets in there that were Pepto Bismal pink and looked like pudding :-&
Fish in general at grocery stores just looks not good. Sitting on top of the ice for display, you can see it's drying out, discolored, just looks "not right".

Yup, we're spoiled! :fish:

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:41 am

The fun hasn't even begun yet. Chums go for sale soon. $4.99 a pound.I talked with the guy from Safeways fish dept. He said they sell out everytime. He said when they drop in price they cant purchase enough. Go Figure????? ](*,)

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:57 am

Gringo Pescador wrote:I wonder what "Wild Frozen" is? They freeze em in the wild??

SCARY, is right. that seafood department smells like a bait shop! [omg]

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:23 pm

Funny. When you walk into Albertsons on Mercer Island ,the first thing you smell is the fish dept in the back of the store.

Diamonddave
Petty Officer

Post by Diamonddave » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:02 am

Food is food when you dont have it I caught the pinks smoked and ate them and Im doing the same with the chum. I thank the Lord he has given me the abillity to catch fish and fee my family. Im disabled and cant work with my bad back at least not full time and I havent found a job that will hire someone that has to take pain killers 3x aday. If you know of a job part time or even cash daily work drop me a note. I maintain fine on meds been onthem for years and I know my limmitations. So since I cant work I fish the rivers and lakes to put me on the table, my loving wife says thats my job plus I take care of the house, and take my son to all his many dr appointments. I wont buy fish in the store but I wont hesitate to get a line wet!!!