Retirement location for fishing

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
jpotts461
Angler

Retirement location for fishing

Post by jpotts461 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:19 pm

I am from Texas coast, Aransas Pass. Never been to Washington State but will soon. Retirement income about 36 K a year. looking for somewhere special to spend the rest of my days. I have fished for all my life. I currently have a custom built flounder boat. Tried to link up a picture but did not work. I have run through at least 10-15 boats in my lifetime from offshore to to river boats. Looks like I will need to sell that one here and buy a different boat for northern climate.

Back to the point I would like to live right on the shoreline or real close. Looking for non freezing climate as I have not adjusted well to cold snaps here in the south. We do not have many lakes here and at best are dirty and about half full. We have been in drought conditions for many years now. I do like calm waters, but have spent years in 6-8 seas. Just want a relaxing area good fishing, and a rural life.

Suggestion please.

Jim

BARCHASER10
Captain

Re: Retirement location for fishing

Post by BARCHASER10 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:45 pm

SW Washington or NW Oregon. Biggest reason is access to the Columbia river system. The Columbia and its tribs has salmon and steelhead runs the entire year. Mostly calm water unless you go down near the mouth. It is the second biggest river system in the US after all. The Puget Sound/Seattle area is more limited. For example we don't have a spring chinook run and our steelhead runs are much less. They also don't have tribal problems. Having close access to rivers like the Cowlitz and Lewis in SW Washington and the Wilson, Trask, Nehalem, Willamette in NW Oregon is a big deal. SW Washington and NW Oregon are also fairly close to the beaches on the Pacific for clams and crab and salmon and halibut in the ocean. Also close to some good fishing lakes like Merwin etc.

Second place would be Port Angles/Sequim area. The Strait has more year around salmon fishing and also has Halibut and is close to some great Steelhead Rivers.

I've lived in Seattle 30 years but I was born/raised in Portland lived there for 40 years and I still go down there 3-4 times a year. For hunting/fishing If you want to live in an urban area, Portland is better than Seattle. Has real good duck hunting too! The culture in the Portland area is more hunting/fishing oriented. Seattle is more hiking, sailing, rock climbing, granola eating and coffee drinking.

There is a website called Ifish which is petty much all SW Washington and NW Oregon folks. Check Ifish out to get a flavor.

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:47 pm

My wife is from San Antonio, so I have been in and fished in TX a few times. You really need to download our regulations from the WA Dept Fish Wildlife. If you haven't seen them you are going to be in for a lot a changes. We do get freezing weather in all of WA but the west side of the state gets much less.
It also depends on what type of fishing you want to do, and how far you want to go for that fishing from your home.
I agree with Barchaser that south west WA would be a good bet, for the weather and fishing.

jpotts461
Angler

Post by jpotts461 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:24 pm

Thanks, I kind of just through internet browsing and temperature averages charts started looking at the long beach peninsula. I figured being close to the Columbia river there would be action pretty non stop with mixing of waters. I did not want to go up to Seattle but have looked at Port Angles/Sequim another nice area. Big city's really have no allure unless I wanted to work. Which I do not want to anymore. I did watch on youtube about razor clam digging. Looks like great fun. I was thinking about living within walking distance of the beach. I moved off the beach here due to the massive corrosion of everything. From what I have seen this is not a major problem in a cooler climate with rainfall. I am open to suggestions of towns and areas. I am looking at ifish right now.

Yes fishing regulations in Washington have a lot of open and closed seasons. I am glad they are managing their natural resources. Something Texas needs to do. I do not flounder anymore due to the decline of the flounder stock. To many shrimpers killing them as they are not considered a game species. I could not see anywhere the ability to gig flounder. So a custom Aluminum boat capable of running in 5 inches of water is of little use. So I am looking at what type of boat would make a good river boat and a calm day offshore boat.

Jim

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:25 pm

First of all, why are you retiring to Washington state? Do you want to be close to anyone or thing specifically to help decide where you want to settle. My husband is originally from Texas 40 years ago and he hated it here when he was stationed here. It rains ALOT on the westside. I'm from the west side of Washington originally. We moved to Texas when he got out of the service because he wanted to but he decided after that year that he wanted to move back here. We lived on the westside for about 35 years and then moved to the eastside when he was diagnosed with RA because it is dryer over here all year. It gets hot in the summer (we hit 100 over the weekend) but we get cold in the winter on the eastside. You can find lots of lakes and a rural life in pretty much anywhere south of Tacoma, Washington and to the west of Puget Sound, also over here on the east side of the mountains there are lots of lakes and rural areas. Prices for places on the lakes will vary according to how close you are to the big cities and also popularity so it will depend on your housing price range as to where you will want to look also. I would recommend that you come up and travel around the state before you decide where you want to settle so that you can see the diversity of our landscape and climate. Good luck with your search and if you want more specifics ask more questions here or send me a message. Rosann

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:02 pm

Congratulations on your retirement. You have a lot of good advice already given.
I just want to throw in that with a 36k retirement income, you really do want to look at the rural coastal communities in SW Washington, or up towards Moclips, Copalis, etc. Forget about anything within the "Puget Sound corridor" Marysville South to Tacoma all along I-5." Although from the sounds of it, you want rural and a fishing life style anyways, so that whole I-5 mess is out. If you have a place to sell where you are, and can walk into a place here.. then you are prob. OK.

jpotts461
Angler

Post by jpotts461 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:48 am

Rosann
Why, I am retiring to Washington St. I hate South Texas it is a desert now. I love the rain and cannot tolerate 115 degree heat factors here for 4+ months. South Texas is pretty ugly to me now flat and all burned up.I have been here too long and have seen and done everything I every wanted to do here. PNW, is very beautiful and lush green on the west side. The mountains would be nice but I get "cabin Fever" and I have to get outside and do something. I do like snow for a week or two and may take up skiing and snowmobiling. I love forest and trees, I grew up as a kid in Virginia. I will probably rent or at least make a few weeks in southern Washington. I just need some place green with tress,water, fish and beaches with something to look at. LOL – it is calling me.

Quadfather
I have done the figures on 36k. It could be a squeeze. But I do have a large equity in my house. Making money has never been a problem for me or my wife and income will kick up when we can draw SSI in about 6 years. Working just seems pointless when I look at the max average lifespan. I am almost 60 so that gives me 17 years. If I worked for another 7 years here and switched careers I could make 150k + and loose the best 7 years of retirement. So I am choosing to enjoy my life. I have no desire other than to go and do what I want to do. I have always lived below my means for the last 25 years by choice. I will check out the other areas also.

Here is some of the data sources I use

http://www.city-data.com/city/Long-Beac ... ngton.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://weatherspark.com/#!dashboard;q=l ... washington" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the info,

Jim

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:13 am

Sounds like you did your homework! My personal fav is NW Oregon. In the Tillamook area, the Ocean, the beach, Tillamook and Nehalem Bays, great Steelhead and Salmon fishing in several rivers close by and also mountains only a few miles away.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:39 pm

I know someone who is selling their "cabin" in Ilwaco, WA which is in the Long Beach area. http://www.city-data.com/city/Ilwaco-Washington.html
This is the property. http://www.lighthouseproperty.com/details.asp?id=638717
Their second home is in AZ.
She did say after spending a day at the beach that selling may be a dumb idea. BUT it is still for sale.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:58 pm

I've often thought of the same question: Where to retire? I have yet to find the perfect place. Coastal communities seem to have fewer services that I expect to need as I grow older. Oregon sounds great but the state income tax should be considered. Having lived in King Co most of my life, any location change would require an adjustment. In theory, I like parts of the Kelso/Longview area. I-5 access to services, not too far from rivers and lakes, about the same distance to Westport as I currently have but closer to Ilwaco. There is quite a bit of lower cost homes there in town and for WA, reasonable homes in the surrounding sticks. Anymore, crime/meth heads and crack head tweakers need to be considered. It's gotten worse as the years go by. Towns that used to seem good are turning. Aberdeen had an issue, Grayland is experiencing a bit of crime now. Damn shame it's illegal to just "remove" them...

Late one night a few years ago, I came across some forum based website that was discussing moving to WA. I can't recall the site but might be worth a google search.

Wish ya the best! It'd be great to see your considerations as you search for the perfect location. Heck, I might end up with the same conclusion. LOL
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:49 am

I think this is something a lot of us think about as we get older. Personally,. I have to get out of the King county/Greater Puget Sound region. The traffic is getting to me, the politics is definitely getting to me. All the people are getting to me. Population in this area has doubled since I moved here in 88'. I love all the fishing opportunities but the fun thing is, you could throw a dart at the state of Washington and find a lot of places that have a variety of great fishing opportunities and outdoor adventures. Washington is blessed that way.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:25 am

Mike Carey wrote:I think this is something a lot of us think about as we get older. Personally,. I have to get out of the King county/Greater Puget Sound region. The traffic is getting to me, the politics is definitely getting to me. All the people are getting to me. Population in this area has doubled since I moved here in 88'. I love all the fishing opportunities but the fun thing is, you could throw a dart at the state of Washington and find a lot of places that have a variety of great fishing opportunities and outdoor adventures. Washington is blessed that way.
Think about it every day. I drove around Pugetropolis every workday for going on 12 years. Can't do it anymore. Can't do a commute over about 15 minutes. Love my folks and don't want them to go but when they do. I'm outta here!!!!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:01 am

Bodofish wrote:
Mike Carey wrote:I think this is something a lot of us think about as we get older. Personally,. I have to get out of the King county/Greater Puget Sound region. The traffic is getting to me, the politics is definitely getting to me. All the people are getting to me. Population in this area has doubled since I moved here in 88'. I love all the fishing opportunities but the fun thing is, you could throw a dart at the state of Washington and find a lot of places that have a variety of great fishing opportunities and outdoor adventures. Washington is blessed that way.
Think about it every day. I drove around Pugetropolis every workday for going on 12 years. Can't do it anymore. Can't do a commute over about 15 minutes. Love my folks and don't want them to go but when they do. I'm outta here!!!!
What areas are you looking at, when the time comes? Any frontrunners? [confused]

jpotts461
Angler

Post by jpotts461 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:08 am

Thanks for all the reply's. Lack of state income tax was a winner. Yes I also need to look at services as I grow older also. But cannot seem to sacrifice services for location. If I live on a beach I am walking or running 2-3 miles a day vs neighborhood where I may or may not want to walk. A really nice athletic club would be good but I am not seeing it except in the cities. I probably have to build my own facilities.

Now drug crime is everywhere, sad to say. In the smaller town's the police force has to be on board to eradicate it. I moved from a small town up the road on the Texas coast because of it. I live on a few acres now fenced with a family of 6 fox terriers . Even a crack head knows better than to jump in with piranhas. LOL When I go to a big city it is OK for 3 days then I need to leave. I just refuse to adapt.

Locations are great. Houses I am pretty much a wholesale buyer being a real Estate broker for 30 years. It is just an investment. Best time to think about getting out is when you are getting in. I do like older houses that have been updated. When I see a old house that looks nice I see all the premium wood and structural integrity built into it by a master craftsman. I do browse Zillow with parameters on size lot prices etc.

Washington state is like a dream for someone like me smoldering in the south that has been in a drought where 100 year old oaks have died. I cannot grow a garden here, it is too hot, our well water has a salinity level to it, being so close to the coast. Shallow wells have dried up used for irrigation and the soil is too sandy. I could go outside now and cook an egg on my car if it was in the sun. Guess I am a prime candidate for Washington state. I can see lush green trees, flowing rivers, cool beaches, rain, and all sort of outdoor adventures. Texas is just flat, hot and boring. Trees here do not grow over 30 feet it is just too windy. 15-20 mph all year long. 8 weeks out of the year winds are 35-45+ mph. It takes a storm to go over 50. It does not cool down until late October. November and December is nice, January and February are barley get above 40 with winds 25-35 mph and humidity of 85-90 % bone chilling. Then one day in march it just turns to summer again. It used to not be like this here.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:53 am

I'll be looking to central/eastern Washington. I want the move to bring us closer to Montana now that my oldest got married and lives in Great Falls. The 10 hr drive is a long one.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:45 pm

Anywhere on the coast...especially the Westport area. Yes, there is plenty of spendy real estate around the beach towns...but there are also "normal" houses just a few miles inland from the beach. World class fishing out on the coast! And then you've got the coastal rivers (cough, cough, Humptulips...cough, cough Hoh and Sol Duc...ahem, excuse me!).

Now I've shared what my retirement plans are. Only 29 years to go! Reminds me to go buy a Mega Millions ticket...it's gonna happen! LOL

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:19 pm

mizm05 wrote:Anywhere on the coast...especially the Westport area. Yes, there is plenty of spendy real estate around the beach towns...but there are also "normal" houses just a few miles inland from the beach. World class fishing out on the coast! And then you've got the coastal rivers (cough, cough, Humptulips...cough, cough Hoh and Sol Duc...ahem, excuse me!).

Now I've shared what my retirement plans are. Only 29 years to go! Reminds me to go buy a Mega Millions ticket...it's gonna happen! LOL
It will happen sooner than you can imagine. I'm closing in on 30 years in my profession and wonder where the time went. Best advice, start saving now, even $100 a month can add up. Especially if you start in your twenties.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:26 pm

Been retired 10 years 3 months, hard to believe where the time went. Yes save as much as you can each payday. But be sure you can enjoy life as it goes by.
Tom.

Interests: living

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:01 pm

Olympia/Centralia/Chehalis

I grew up down there. It's right smack dab in the middle of all the good westside salmon and steelhead, the coast is 1.5 hours out and the cost of living is low. Not a great place raise kids, I know this because I grew up there, but the folks are nice, you have some great restaurants and a lot of fishing year round.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:47 am

There was once a businessman who was sitting by the beach in a small Brazilian village.
As he sat, he saw a Brazilian fisherman rowing a small boat towards the shore having caught quite few big fish.
The businessman was impressed and asked the fisherman, “How long does it take you to catch so many fish?”
The fisherman replied, “Oh, just a short while.”
“Then why don’t you stay longer at sea and catch even more?” The businessman was astonished.
“This is enough to feed my whole family,” the fisherman said.
The businessman then asked, “So, what do you do for the rest of the day?”
The fisherman replied, “Well, I usually wake up early in the morning, go out to sea and catch a few fish, then go back and play with my kids. In the afternoon, I take a nap with my wife, and evening comes, I join my buddies in the village for a drink — we play guitar, sing and dance throughout the night.”
The businessman offered a suggestion to the fisherman.
“I am a PhD in business management. I could help you to become a more successful person. From now on, you should spend more time at sea and try to catch as many fish as possible. When you have saved enough money, you could buy a bigger boat and catch even more fish. Soon you will be able to afford to buy more boats, set up your own company, your own production plant for canned food and distribution network. By then, you will have moved out of this village and to Sao Paulo, where you can set up HQ to manage your other branches.”
The fisherman continues, “And after that?”
The businessman laughs heartily, “After that, you can live like a king in your own house, and when the time is right, you can go public and float your shares in the Stock Exchange, and you will be rich.”
The fisherman asks, “And after that?”
The businessman says, “After that, you can finally retire, you can move to a house by the fishing village, wake up early in the morning, catch a few fish, then return home to play with kids, have a nice afternoon nap with your wife, and when evening comes, you can join your buddies for a drink, play the guitar, sing and dance throughout the night!”
The fisherman was puzzled, “Isn’t that what I am doing now?”