Sonic dog whistle for neighbor's barking dog??

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

Sonic dog whistle for neighbor's barking dog??

Post by TroutCowboy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:42 pm

Anyone know of an effective sonic (subsonic? ultrasonic?) whistle or other product I could use on a neighbor's barking dog? ](*,) This friggin' dog barks starting at 6am and barks off & on all day, especially if I am in the back yard working or eating on the deck. I'd like to try something that wouldn't be too loud myself, like yelling at it (or shooting at it with my shotgun!! [mad] ), and I guess humane.

Wondering if a sonic training whistle of some sort might allow me to do some association training with the dog, since the owner doesn't seem to be interested in correcting the behavior. Any thoughts? Not interested in any of the "As seen on TV" gimmicks, and I can't try a shock collar like I used (very effectively) with my own dog, it has to be something I can do from my neighboring yard.

Any ideas or links to proven products would be much appreciated!

G-Man
Admiral

Re: Sonic dog whistle for neighbor's barking dog??

Post by G-Man » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:22 pm

If you have spoken with your neighbor and they still don't want to do anything about it, file a noise complaint with the police department or animal control, that will get the ball rolling.

TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

Post by TroutCowboy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:40 pm

G-Man wrote:If you have spoken with your neighbor and they still don't want to do anything about it, file a noise complaint with the police department or animal control, that will get the ball rolling.
We all have talked with them in the past, and to their credit are doing their best. They try to get her in as soon as she starts up, but unfortunately at 6am it only takes one howl and we're all up. They even went out and got a 2nd dog, thinking the other one might keep it company and keep her from howling, but now the two just wrestle & chase and make all the associated wimpers, barks & noises. It worked to a degree, the long howling sessions are less.

I was hoping there might be a "silver bullet" (that is not .12ga caliber, my preferred option at this point) in the form of a training tool I might use.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:10 pm

If they are really trying to quiet their dog, then tell them there is a collar that will give the dog a little shock everytime the dog barks. They should get one of those if they can't get onto the dog IMMEDIATLY EVERY TIME the dog barks or howls. Yes the dog is lonely, but can be trained to shutup.
Tom.

Interests: living

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:59 am

TroutCowboy wrote:
G-Man wrote:If you have spoken with your neighbor and they still don't want to do anything about it, file a noise complaint with the police department or animal control, that will get the ball rolling.
We all have talked with them in the past, and to their credit are doing their best. They try to get her in as soon as she starts up, but unfortunately at 6am it only takes one howl and we're all up. They even went out and got a 2nd dog, thinking the other one might keep it company and keep her from howling, but now the two just wrestle & chase and make all the associated wimpers, barks & noises. It worked to a degree, the long howling sessions are less.

I was hoping there might be a "silver bullet" (that is not .12ga caliber, my preferred option at this point) in the form of a training tool I might use.
Spokane County Ordinance applies to all pet owners in the county. Here is the subsection that specifically applies to dogs:

5.04.070 - Control of dogs.

The following dog control regulations are police regulations designed to protect public health and safety. The owner or keeper of a dog is strictly liable to control his or her dog or dogs as required herein. This means that the penalty for violation of these regulations is imposed without regard to any wrongful intention of the violator. It is unlawful for the owner or keeper of a dog or dogs to violate any of the following regulations. The owner or keeper of a dog or dogs shall prevent said dogs from:

(1) Running at large in Spokane County, whether licensed or not; provided, that this subsection shall not: a) prohibit a person from walking or exercising a dog in public when such dog is on a leash, tether or chain not to exceed eight feet in length; and, b) prohibit a person from having a dog off-leash in an area designated pursuant to Section 5.04.045(1) as an off-leash area provided that the requirements of Section 5.04.045(2) are met;

(2) Entering any place where food is stored, prepared, served or sold to the public or any public building or hall; provided, that this subsection shall not apply to any dog guide or trained service animal; to veterinarian offices or hospitals; or to dog exhibitions or organized dog training classes or to dogs used by armored car services or law enforcement agencies;

(3) Being accessible to other animals, while in heat, for purposes other than controlled or planned breeding;

(4) Chasing, running after or jumping at vehicles using public streets and alleys;

(5) Snapping, growling, snarling, barking in a threatening manner, jumping upon, chasing or otherwise threatening persons or animals;

(6) Exhibiting vicious propensities;

(7) Howling, yelling, whining or barking or making other oral noises in such a manner as to disturb any person or groups of persons to an unreasonable degree;

(8) Being kept, harbored or maintained and known to have a contagious disease unless under the treatment of a licensed veterinarian and appropriately isolated to protect the public and other animals;

(9) Running in packs; provided, for the purpose of this section "packs" means dogs in groups of three or more;

(10) Running at large when the dog has not been neutered or spayed, and the dog is six months of age or older;

(11) A dog declared a potentially dangerous shall not be at running at large or off the owner or keeper's property, unless it is on a leash and under physical restraint of a responsible person.

(12) A dog declared a dangerous dog shall not be running at large or outside a proper enclosure, unless the dog is muzzled and restrained by a substantial chain or leash and under physical restraint of a responsible person. The muzzle shall be made in a manner that will not cause injury to the dog or interfere with its vision or respiration but shall prevent it from biting any person or animal.

If nothing else works, call SCRAPS, 477-2532, and report the nuisance barking issue (item 7). SCRAPS is charged with enforcing county statutes in Liberty Lake. I'm a dog lover, but also resent pet owners who don't respect others. I've used the county ordinance to solve problems in the past without enlisting SCRAPS. Had it not worked, I would have made a formal report and let the authorities handle it from there.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount