Somethign weird going on with attached photos

Having problems with our website? Can't seem to find what you are looking for? Ask your questions here.
Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Somethign weird going on with attached photos

Post by Juniah87 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:55 am

Take a look here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24129

Original post had a photo in it. The attachment preview in the post itself is upside down. If you click on it to view the larger version, it is rightside up. I downloaded the picture and tried posting it from my machine to see if it would do the same thing, and it did. I then tried to resize the image, incase there was some kind of weird issue with the width size. I went in to edit my post and add the resized image. After posting it, it now looks like I've uploaded the image in my post 6 times. All of which are upside down, except the attachment one at the bottom, and any of the full view photos if you click on them. This is a strange one, lol!

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Re: Somethign weird going on with attached photos

Post by Aaron » Tue May 02, 2017 3:03 pm

The problem is with images taken and/or uploaded using a mobile device or tablet. The EXIF data in the image contains a value that states what the orientation of the photo SHOULD be, but the OS of the device usually adjust the view of the image to make it look correct without changing the EXIF data. In other words, it makes it look right on the device, but once off the device it no longer retains the correct orientation.

If this becomes a HUGE issue I'll look further into it, but its a known issue that's been hanging around the internet forever.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:13 pm

How weird, i'd never heard that before, thanks for the info!

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Thu May 04, 2017 6:43 am

Aaron wrote:The problem is with images taken and/or uploaded using a mobile device or tablet. The EXIF data in the image contains a value that states what the orientation of the photo SHOULD be, but the OS of the device usually adjust the view of the image to make it look correct without changing the EXIF data. In other words, it makes it look right on the device, but once off the device it no longer retains the correct orientation.

If this becomes a HUGE issue I'll look further into it, but its a known issue that's been hanging around the internet forever.
Quite right Aaron, and IMO, not worth programming to "fix". I haven't on my forum and not going to either. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount