More Guests than Members???

Announcements about new WL offerings, contests, problems and other related items. Fishing Clubs post your announcements here.
felts_jf
Warrant Officer

More Guests than Members???

Post by felts_jf » Sun May 11, 2008 6:48 pm

Everytime in the evening when I look up at the counter there seems to be more guests than members often. You people need to join that are just browsing, I have been a member for almost a year now and I am so glad I found this site while I was deployed to the sandbox last year. I have not only learned alot from this site but have met some great people, so those of you just browsing sign up. Who knows we may learn something from you.

Jason
The boat doesnt catch fish it's the person. Rippin Lips

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:More Guests than Members???

Post by A9 » Sun May 11, 2008 6:50 pm

Lotta regular lurkers on these types of sites...
People just don't like to step into the forum world and are fine on the outside looking in...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sun May 11, 2008 7:01 pm

Also some members scan without signing in until they find some thing they want to post. Unlike me who is automatically signed in:-"
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Eddie L
Warrant Officer

Post by Eddie L » Sun May 11, 2008 7:44 pm

(Just a sugestion)
Maybe Mike and Aaron can add a chat room in this site where you have to be a registared member to log in and chat,talk about fishing,and instant fishing report.

felts_jf
Warrant Officer

Post by felts_jf » Sun May 11, 2008 7:45 pm

Just saying, go big or go home

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Sun May 11, 2008 7:55 pm

Eddie L wrote:(Just a sugestion)
Maybe Mike and Aaron can add a chat room in this site where you have to be a registared member to log in and chat,talk about fishing,and instant fishing report.

That's coming in the site upgrade in a few weeks time. Chat area for paying members I believe...should be good stuff.
KTK
Get with the Fast Money Bros

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun May 11, 2008 8:07 pm

kutthroatkilla wrote:

That's coming in the site upgrade in a few weeks time. Chat area for paying members I believe...should be good stuff.
KTK
Correct, although I'm not sure the exact timeline, that's Aaron's call. I hope soon because thenew site looks much better than this one, and there is just a lot of neat new additions. I can't wait!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun May 11, 2008 8:07 pm

Anyone got AIM for the time being???
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

felts_jf
Warrant Officer

Post by felts_jf » Sun May 11, 2008 8:21 pm

Sweet cant wait for the new site!!!

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Sun May 11, 2008 8:51 pm

Just an FYI:

The counter on the top of the forum page is only counting people that have, at some point in time during their visit, come into the forum. For the most part, people don't use the forum. There are usually 75-100 people using the site at any given moment but won't be included in those numbers till they hit the forum. My guess is less than 1% of the sites visitors even know the forum exists... they come for the fishing info like reports and maps.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

Eddie L
Warrant Officer

Post by Eddie L » Sun May 11, 2008 9:38 pm

Aaron wrote:Just an FYI:

The counter on the top of the forum page is only counting people that have, at some point in time during their visit, come into the forum. For the most part, people don't use the forum. There are usually 75-100 people using the site at any given moment but won't be included in those numbers till they hit the forum. My guess is less than 1% of the sites visitors even know the forum exists... they come for the fishing info like reports and maps.
Yeah I met 2 different people at Beaver Lake that read about the lake report in the Reports section and had no clue there was a forum on this site. But I told them to check it out and join.

Awoods
Warrant Officer

Post by Awoods » Sun May 11, 2008 11:00 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:
Anyone got AIM for the time being???
I have AIM. I think it shows up at the bottom of the posts I report along with my email address and such.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon May 12, 2008 7:14 am

Eddie L wrote:
Aaron wrote:Just an FYI:

Yeah I met 2 different people at Beaver Lake that read about the lake report in the Reports section and had no clue there was a forum on this site. But I told them to check it out and join.
This stat truly amazes me. Hopefully more will become aware and participate with the next upgrade.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Mon May 19, 2008 9:57 am

In looking at the WALakes.com home page, I noticed that other than the icon that says Register, I don’t see anything that informs the guest of the benefits that come with registering or that doing so is free. I think visitors might think registering has a fee or they may not be aware that by joining the site they can participate in the forums and enjoy the other member options that are offered.

I browsed the site myself for over a year reading lots of reports and posting some as well before I realized I could join for free and participate in the forum discussions. I believe if there is a banner at the top of the home page that tells guests they can register for free and participate in the forum discussions, more guests will become members. This is just my observation and for the record I think Mike and Aaron and everyone else who contributes to this site all do a fantastic job which I personally appreciate very much.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon May 19, 2008 10:20 am

I think it will be more obvious with the next upgrade. Also, there will be various "triggers" as people look through the site that give them the option of signing up for the free memebrship or the prememium membership. Thanks for your input Dave (and all).
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 19, 2008 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Mon May 19, 2008 10:22 am

Dave wrote: I believe if there is a banner at the top of the home page that tells guests they can register for free and participate in the forum discussions, more guests will become members. This is just my observation and for the record I think Mike and Aaron and everyone else who contributes to this site all do a fantastic job which I personally appreciate very much.

Many visitors are unaware of the forums and even some people who sign up are unaware of the forum section. I think something large and flashing with neon on the front page might be needed to get more than 20 people who are "regular forum contributors" to start posting in the forums...glad ya brought it up...KTK
Get with the Fast Money Bros