Elliott Bay Clean-out? Fishery Test?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
trackster13
Petty Officer

Elliott Bay Clean-out? Fishery Test?

Post by trackster13 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:47 pm

So I've heard rumors that on Wednesday the State paid one of the Indian Tribes to test the salmon fisheries in the bay to see what kind of runs they should expect over the next few weeks. Of course there was multiple nets being deployed and the I guess usually they obtain about 30 salmon per net. The rumor is that on Wednesday they tested the Elliott Bay Fishery and each net averaged 140 fish. Basically, it sounds like they cleaned out the Bay fairly well as I was fishing various spots throwing everything I had at them for 13 hours on Sunday. The fish counter said there was 11 chinook and 6 coho for 75 boats at 5pm. That's pretty bad even when the fish haven't made their big runs yet. The past few weekends our boat has found limits early morning using Ace His or cut plugs so our anticipation of some kind of bite with tide changes kept us out there so long. HOWEVER, I can't confirm that this entire event took place; I'd imagine that it's not something the State would like to very public. Has anyone else heard about this? If I would've known that before I went out I don't think I would've spent the entire day out there.

Easy Limits
Lieutenant

RE:Elliott Bay Clean-out? Fishery Test?

Post by Easy Limits » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:05 pm

Tribal test fisheries in Elliott Bay are pretty normal this time of year. The bulk of E Bay fish don't even start to show until the first week in August.

trackster13
Petty Officer

Post by trackster13 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:25 am

yea i understand that but if i would've known that it just happened on wednesday, I would have been reluctant to go out.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:41 am

I fish the rivers all year round for the most part.There is a phone number to call and find out the netting schedules.I usally call to find out what Indian nation is fishing where and when.I was just looking in my Rolodex and cant find the number.Try the Mill Creek office of the WDFW and they should have that number.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Mud Duck
Petty Officer

Post by Mud Duck » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:59 pm

I heard they got 118 chinooks on the 1st test fishery week and 80's something this 2nd test last wenesday.