They took our Crabs

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
RJD
Petty Officer

They took our Crabs

Post by RJD » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:25 pm

So this weekend I took my grand kids out fishing and crabbing. After dropping the pots we relocated about a 1/4 mile away to fish. I got nervous when I saw a boat in our pots. Trying to get the grand kids and gear stowed so I could confront these guys took longer than I wanted and as I drove up to the pots the raiders took off. Faced with the choice of chasing them down or calling it a day I chose to call it a day. Having the grand kids in the boat made me realize I didn't want a nasty confrontation to happen for their safety as well as I was unsure really what the best plan of action should be......What would you do? Every year I am faced with replacing pots that get stolen or confronting raiders of the crabs in my pots. I'm about to give it all up even though I live close to where I crab. [cursing]

DannyL
Captain

Re: They took our Crabs

Post by DannyL » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:51 pm

All you can do is report in on WDFW's website.
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:58 pm

Last edited by gfakkema on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:06 pm

Try to get the registration number of the boat and report it to the sheriff and WDFW. Take pictures if you are close enough.

Eugene
Petty Officer

Post by Eugene » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:33 am

I guess those thieves who steal crabs they also do not care about sizes, limits and other regulations. To sad that we have such people around us. But we have to do not leave it as-is. Definitely we have to take some actions every time we see such criminal activity. My suggestions - number of boat, pictures, maybe other evidences - send to police, sheriff and wdfw.

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:18 pm

I am not sure what to do, sorry this happen to you. I know that when we do get the chance to try our luck crabbing that we will watch our pots like hawks. Sounds like WDFW need to get off the a** and do a sting and put some people in jail or give them tickets. I am not sure what the charge would be and hard to confront someone when kids are on board. What goes around comes around. I would let WDFW know what happened and if they get enough complaints they just might looking a little harder at this problem everyone seems to have. Tight lines.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Bay wolf
Commander

Post by Bay wolf » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:01 am

I'm afraid it is like law enforcement and robberies in the neighborhood. They just don't have the manpower and resources (money) to properly enforce everywhere. Poachers like thieves know that the chances of getting caught are really, really, low. WDFW knows certain area's that seem higher in poaching and other rule violations and during the height of a season may increase a presence there, but other than that, it is just "chance" that a poacher and an officer meet up.
Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting!
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)

Fishjager
Angler

Post by Fishjager » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:57 pm

Sorry to hear. I watch my pots like a hawk. It is far too expensive to leave the area with expensive pots down there.
It is my understanding that with budget cuts that they have laid off 8 game wardens. I don't know if it is true or not, but the way things are going, I would say it is. The days of poaching are just far too easy.

Bobber_Dogging_Gal
Petty Officer

Suggestion re They took our Crabs? (Thief-Proof Your Gear)

Post by Bobber_Dogging_Gal » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:11 am

I now paint my crab rings fluorescent orange on the outer rim plus I use easy-to-make PVC stick buoys with red flags. Small (day time) LED strobe flashers can also be attached to the top of the stick buoys. Keeping binocs and a notepad on-board is the best way to keep an eye on your pots. If someone approaches your pots, jot down their bow ID reg. and a description of the boat and perps. It's the fastest and safest way to call it in without putting yourself in harms way. Odds are the thieves launched from the nearest launch. Pay attention to which direction they go after pinching or emptying your pots. If you can catch them on video, even better. The game dept and sheriff can then greet them at the launch(s) red handed. Even when pier crabbing, it pays to keep an eye on your gear. My pots have engraved pet ID tags attached. (((((((Crab On))))))) =D>

PS-what area were you in when this occurred?
Bobber_Dogger

Bobber_Dogging_Gal
Petty Officer

Thief-Proofing Your Crab Gear

Post by Bobber_Dogging_Gal » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:07 am

I now paint my crab rings fluorescent orange on the outer rim plus I use easy-to-make PVC stick buoys with red flags. Small (day time) LED strobe flashers can also be attached to the top of the stick buoys. Keeping binocs and a notepad on-board is the best way to keep an eye on your pots. If someone approaches your pots, jot down their bow ID reg. and a description of the boat and perps. It's the fastest and safest way to call it in without putting yourself in harms way. Odds are the thieves launched from the nearest launch. Pay attention to which direction they go after pinching or emptying your pots. If you can catch them on video, even better. The game dept and sheriff can then greet them at the launch(s) red handed. Even when pier crabbing, it pays to keep an eye on your gear. My pots have engraved pet ID tags attached. (((((((Crab On))))))) =D>

PS-what area were you in when this occurred?
----------------------------
RJD wrote:So this weekend I took my grand kids out fishing and crabbing. After dropping the pots we relocated about a 1/4 mile away to fish. I got nervous when I saw a boat in our pots. Trying to get the grand kids and gear stowed so I could confront these guys took longer than I wanted and as I drove up to the pots the raiders took off. Faced with the choice of chasing them down or calling it a day I chose to call it a day. Having the grand kids in the boat made me realize I didn't want a nasty confrontation to happen for their safety as well as I was unsure really what the best plan of action should be......What would you do? Every year I am faced with replacing pots that get stolen or confronting raiders of the crabs in my pots. I'm about to give it all up even though I live close to where I crab. [cursing]
Bobber_Dogger

RJD
Petty Officer

Post by RJD » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:43 pm

State Park on Camano Island. One year I put my pots in an area with many other pots. A boat full of partiers unhooked my buoys and attached theirs to my pots. Out of respect for the other pots/owners I didn't pull theirs to search for mine. Another year I caught red handed some local beach owners pulling my pots. After they refused to drop them I had to circle their little boat many times to feel like it was going to swamp before they dropped them. Ballsy robbers for sure. I could go on but I bet many readers here also have had similar experiences. And just to let you know I'm within sight always but not always able to get to my pots quickly. I guess I should stop taking grandkids and start packing just to protect a few crabs.......NOT!