Area 9 closing

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Larry3215
Admiral

Area 9 closing

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:43 pm

Just saw this:

July 23, 2015

Chinook harvest closes in Marine Area 9

Action: Closes harvest of hatchery chinook in Area 9, except Edmonds Public Fishing Pier. Opens salmon fishing south of Foulweather Bluff and Olele Point.

Effective Date: Monday, July 27 through Saturday, Aug. 15, 2015.

Species affected: Salmon.

Reason for action: Preliminary estimates indicate that landed catch of chinook will exceed the preseason expectations. The chinook fishery is closed to control impacts on stocks of concern and ensure compliance with conservation objectives and agreed-to management plans.

South of Foulweather Bluff and Olele Point is closed during the chinook mark-selective fishery in compliance with state and tribal management plans. Surplus pink and coho are available for harvest.

Other information: Daily limit is 2 salmon plus 2 additional pink salmon. Release chinook and chum. Anglers should consult the Fishing in Washington, Sports Fishing Rules pamphlet for specific regulations.

Information contact: Ryan Lothrop, (360) 902-2808

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Area 9 closing

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:46 pm

I find the wording very confusing though.

It says "Opens salmon fishing south of Foulweather Bluff and Olele Point."

but then says

"South of Foulweather Bluff and Olele Point is closed during the chinook mark-selective fishery in compliance with state and tribal management plans. Surplus pink and coho are available for harvest."

Which is it?

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:32 pm

Last edited by gfakkema on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:30 pm

Larry3215 wrote:I find the wording very confusing though.

It says "Opens salmon fishing south of Foulweather Bluff and Olele Point."

but then says

"South of Foulweather Bluff and Olele Point is closed during the chinook mark-selective fishery in compliance with state and tribal management plans. Surplus pink and coho are available for harvest."

Which is it?
Actually the letter says - Copied and paste from email I just received....

As of July 23, anglers had harvested an estimated 1,953 chinook in Marine Area 9. The catch quota for the area is 2,483 fish.

Beginning Monday, anglers will be able to fish for salmon in the area south from the line between Foulweather Bluff and Olele Point, Lothrop said. This section of Marine Area 9 was closed during the chinook fishery. Anglers fishing in this section have the same daily limit for salmon as the rest of Marine Area 9.

-----------
To me it's pretty clear. Prior to Monday that area was closed to all fishing but come the 27th it's open season for Coho and Pinks with a daily limit as all the rest of area 9.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:33 pm

You posted the same time I did, but I think you're right. I sure wish they would hire someone who could write better to do the regs :)

Its interesting to note that your letter is worded differently than what they have posted on-line. The e-mail is much better worded.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:01 pm

By the way - how do you get on the email list for WDFW news?

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:16 pm

http://wdfw.wa.gov/lists/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I agree they need to write these things a wee bit better. The link above allows you to register and receive emails.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:31 pm

Thanks!

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:23 pm

Any suggestions for my last chance at puget sound chinook? Motor up yo mid channel or possession, which is a whole lot closer?