Bank Fishing with Cut Plug

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
obrien73
Angler

Bank Fishing with Cut Plug

Post by obrien73 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:12 pm

Moved up to Port Ludlow last fall and am trying out bank fishing for the first time. I have been out several times without success (Marrowstone Point and Salsbury). Like everyone else, I hope the fish show up soon.

I have a question regarding fishing cut plug herring. My reel is currently spooled with braided line tied to a ball swivel and a 18" mono leader. Sometimes I have been using a herring helmet, other times not. When I retrieve my bait it seems to be in the top 6" of the water. Is this correct? I have good spin and have even tried an 1/8 oz egg sinker, but the bait doesn't seem to spin as well. Any suggestions or is retrieving the bait this shallow ok?

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: Bank Fishing with Cut Plug

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:32 pm

My only experience has been fishing the jetty at Ilwaco years ago. I would rig a float, then about 3 feet of mono, then a 2oz banana weight (for casting ability), then another 3 feet of leader to tandem hooks and a whole herring, inside hook through the bottom of the mouth and up through the top of the head, and trailing hook in the side. Tighten the hooks a tad to create a bend in the herring for a gentle spin with the current. Cast out and let the rig "drift" with the tide, reel in at the end of the drift and repeat. I had very good success on coho with this set up.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:09 pm

I would recommend using a setup as Mike described, and use a slip bobber with a bobber stop up top. That way you can adjust the length of the leader/drop.

It's coho deadly.

obrien73
Angler

Post by obrien73 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:37 pm

Thanks for the tips. Going to give the slip bobber a tip this week.

beeman
Petty Officer

Post by beeman » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:17 pm

What type of bobber would you use for this

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:24 pm

Just an idea, why not use a cut plug with the sponge inside and not have to worry about it? Load up the sponge with herring smelly jelly and cast away.

Again...just an idea. Brad's makes some killer cut plugs with the sponge in the middle.

Blktailhunter
Angler

Post by Blktailhunter » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:27 pm

You are getting very bad advice. Ditch the bobber thing.... Braid is ok, just use a premium ball bearing swivel to attach leader to the braid. Use 15# clear leader material. Leader should be 36-42". Add a split shot above the swivel if you want a little more distance, but it is not needed. Yes, your cut plug herring should be about 6" below the surface. Use a 3/0 for the top hook and 2/0 for the trailer. It should have a tight spin, not a wide spin. Cut off the tail fins to get a tighter spin. The salmon don't care. Watch the old timers at Marrowstone and mimic them. Ask them questions. They will gladly answer your questions.