WL.COM Westport outing?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
JimLyons
Petty Officer

WL.COM Westport outing?

Post by JimLyons » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:48 am

Hey Kids,
I saw a fishing show last week while working in seattle about some group of internet friends who went fishing on a party boat in Mississippi, on the Gulf Coast, and thought it would be cool to get a group of us to all go out on a party boat in Westport this summer for Salmon. What do you think? I will call several captains I have been out with and see if we can get a group rate. How about you Sam, do you have a favorite place to go out of. We could go out of Neah Bay or whereever. Could be fun, No it would definitely be fun. I always like to go 2 days in a row since I have to drive from Spokane. I think late June or July is best let's pick a date and start making a list to get numbers.

michaelunbewust
Commander

RE:WL.COM Westport outing?

Post by michaelunbewust » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:12 pm

sounds great jim. i am organizing a halibut/bottomfish trip to ilwaco 1st week in may if interested (5 guys so far), but, i would be interested in a salmon trip during the times/dates your thinking. fish-outs are a blast. ive been to 3 since last july, and, had a blast at all 3. i missed the 1 for wl.com in sept., but, all attendees said good things. pm me the details. my veteran dad lives by northtown, and, he would be interested,also.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:13 pm

Jim,
I like the idea. Good call!

I have never fished out of Westport...Never fished out of the mouth of the Columbia. Was supposed to fish out of Ilwaco this fall, but that plan didn't work out like it was planned to.

Most of my salmon fishing is done around the Westside of Whidbey island and sometimes at Sekiu. It would be quite a trip for a bunch of us to get out to Westport, and if we wanted to stay more local, we could easily do a mid-summer trip on one of the bigger charter boats in the Puget sound during the Area 9 king fishery. That way it's a very short drive to probably the Edmonds or Everett or Elliot Bay piers and then it's not even a full day trip....Area 9 for blackmouth last summer was red hot. Many multiple fish days and that is right when the big kings are rolling through the sound...Seen some fish in excess of 30lbs taken by boats trolling right next to us...Lots of hatchery fish around the 10lb mark too...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:34 pm

I think that sounds good.I'd like to join in ifin y'all dont mind me chumming the water while we fish.Fishing both areas is great.The only downplay for me is crossing either bar.Count me in the Westport trip.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:00 pm

I too would be very interested in either or both of those trips. Jim let us know if there is anything we can do to secure this thing.:cheers:
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:01 pm

I too would be very interested in either or both of those trips. Jim let us know if there is anything we can do to secure this thing.:cheers:

4r7wHMg5Yjg

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:02 pm

sorry for that double post folks.

4r7wHMg5Yjg

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:26 pm

I love westport and have been on a few charters out of there. The best one to go on are the salmon/bottomfish. I have never been skunked on a charter, but people do get skunked. I would hate to pay $100 and not walk away with any fish. But everybody catches bottom fish so there is no getting skunked. If you do it right you can walk away with 2 salmon and 10 rock fish. Also you can go down to the docks in the morning before your boat leaves, throw in your crab pots and pull them when you get back.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:08 pm

I'm interested.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:04 pm

Sounds like fun let me know more when you get some info on price and all that good stuf.Pretty sure i can come up with some story to tell the ol lady.So I can sneak out.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

JimLyons
Petty Officer

Post by JimLyons » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:14 am

Michael,
You can count me in for Ilwaco for Halibut. Isn't that the opener? My buddy here would go too so add two. Sam, I just want to catch some Kings so a sound trip would be great too, Do you know the name of some charter folks? It would save us all a lot of driving and $. From Spokane you make it all the way to Seattle and then it is a couple more hours to the ocean. It is fun but it is far. Where is area 9? Is that up by Edmonds or is it south? Shawn don't feel the pressure--we will help you come up with a story.

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:45 am

michaelunbewust wrote:sounds great jim. i am organizing a halibut/bottomfish trip to ilwaco 1st week in may if interested (5 guys so far), but, i would be interested in a salmon trip during the times/dates your thinking. fish-outs are a blast. ive been to 3 since last july, and, had a blast at all 3. i missed the 1 for wl.com in sept., but, all attendees said good things. pm me the details. my veteran dad lives by northtown, and, he would be interested,also.
Quick FYI: If you are planing on hitting the Canadian waters, you have to go up to Canada in person to get your license. So... Get your Passports!

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:06 am

gpc wrote:I love westport and have been on a few charters out of there. The best one to go on are the salmon/bottomfish. I have never been skunked on a charter, but people do get skunked. I would hate to pay $100 and not walk away with any fish. But everybody catches bottom fish so there is no getting skunked. If you do it right you can walk away with 2 salmon and 10 rock fish. Also you can go down to the docks in the morning before your boat leaves, throw in your crab pots and pull them when you get back.
I'd be interested if there would be a bottom fish involved, or at least a combo salmon/bottom fish like GPC said. I followed up on reports last year on Westport for salmon and they were getting skunked quite a bit.

I'm planning on taking a bottom fish trip this May, I've never caught a ling cod before and spring is suppose to be a good time for them.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:24 pm

Yep spring is the only times they are open for them in the inner puget Sound kzoo....You guys should do good. Pray for good weather too....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:32 pm

i have you down jim. i will pm the details around march 1st. include my dad and myself for any salmon/bottomfish gig you can arrange. we have been wanting to do it for a long time. either westport or the sound for blackmouth is cool. shoot, middle of saudi arabia would be cool, as long as, a big ol salmon is on the end of the rod!!

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:20 am

Sam Kafelafish wrote:Yep spring is the only times they are open for them in the inner puget Sound kzoo....You guys should do good. Pray for good weather too....
Yeah I tried it last year on opening day at Edmonds pier, some fish were caught, by the time we knew what to do, all the fish were gone. It's definetely helpful to have a boat. We're going to try a charter at Westport this year, but like you say "Pray for good weather".

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:33 am

Can you give me an idea of how much it costs?
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:45 pm

Toni wrote:Can you give me an idea of how much it costs?
Advantage Charters is really good out of Westport and Neah Bay. Below is a link to their website where they show how much they charge. However, I believe they would give WL.com members a discount if booked as a group...who knows.

http://advantagecharters.com/trips.html

"If you want the best of both Salmon and Bottomfishing in the same trip, then this is for you. This great trip gives you excitement of catching beautiful coho and chinook salmon as well as the red hot action of Westport-style bottomfishing. Fishing licence is required and can be purchased aboard the boat. Cost: $160 (combo trips offered weekdays only)."
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:58 am

Id like to be in the loop on this.

E

RobertW
Angler

Post by RobertW » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:29 pm

Hey if you're needing more people for this trip I am definately interested, I just need a few more details as you get them figured out, exact date, cost, etc....

Rob