Oyster bay Bremerton

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
crowsnest73
Angler

Oyster bay Bremerton

Post by crowsnest73 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:33 pm

I just moved in on Oyster BAy and have been attempting to fish it with drop lines and a little trolling from my kayak. The only thing I have managed to catch are sculpins and a crab. Has anyone ever fished the bay and been successful. I just purchased a deeper pro plus for my depth finder (hopefully it helps). Any help would be appreciated

gaSSer41
Petty Officer

Re: Oyster bay Bremerton

Post by gaSSer41 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:48 pm

What is your target species? If it is salmon, this body of water is closed. You can not fish for salmon from the Manett bridge. Check the fishing regs to see what you may fish for. It is a nice warm cove for water skiing in.
Butch Duke

crowsnest73
Angler

Post by crowsnest73 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:06 pm

I am mainly looking to get anything but sculpin...I wouldn't mind sculpin either if they were bigger than a few ounces...any help would be appreciated

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:00 pm

If you can find some boulder patches or old docks along the shoreline with barnacle growth, you should be able to get some sea perch (if you can get your bait past the shiner perch). Mud/sand covered bottoms should provide you with plenty of flounder and sand dabs (and sculpins).

That's really about it that is available and/or legal in the Bremerton area, if you want more consistent bottomfishing.

I used to fish a lot in the Port Washington Narrows area, Illahee State Park, Jackson Park, etc. years ago, and the perch and flounder was pretty much all we caught (didn't really target salmon or sea run cutthroats). There are/were some big sea perch back then around the docks--getting them to bite is the challenge.

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:04 pm

Go to the other side and put in your kayak and fish for salmon in Sinclair inlet, I'm assuming it's open, we don't really fish it anymore since the rest of area 10 is open most years so you'd have to check the regs. Over by the ferry we used to pick up fish there when the rest of Area 10 was closed years ago. If you can get your kayak over by Lion's Park or even on the other side of the water I'm sure you could pick up some sea run cutthroat. I've never tried it myself, but I know of people that fish that are for sea runs.