Westport Jetty

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
TeachingTitusToFish
Petty Officer

Westport Jetty

Post by TeachingTitusToFish » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:24 pm

Haven't seen any ling or rockfish reports. Anyone been out to the jetty yet this year?

Eugene
Petty Officer

Re: Westport Jetty

Post by Eugene » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:42 pm

I caught 2 greenlings and 2 lings 22 and 23 inches last week.

SeatoSummit88
Petty Officer

Post by SeatoSummit88 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:05 am

I am going to be down there next weekend. Hopefully will be able to pull out a couple. Our close friends work/run on a couple of charter boats and have been saying the Lingcod seem to be biting well for this time of the year.

R&S Parrish
Angler

Post by R&S Parrish » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:44 pm

2 limits of rockfish and 2 lings for me and the wife on Friday. Lings were 23-24 inches. Rockfish are running big this year. 2-4 lbs...

Let's_Go_Fishing!
Petty Officer

Post by Let's_Go_Fishing! » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:34 am

I'm new to linging and have never fished the WP jetty. How to get there and anyone interested in car pooling? There's 2 of us from north Snoco. We have our own gear and can pitch in for gas. Thank you.

NWBoater45
Petty Officer

Post by NWBoater45 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:40 am

R&S Parrish wrote:2 limits of rockfish and 2 lings for me and the wife on Friday. Lings were 23-24 inches. Rockfish are running big this year. 2-4 lbs...
Hey R&S....care to share your secrets? Rigging and baits?

I might head down there as well this weekend.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:28 pm

Let's_Go_Fishing! wrote:I'm new to linging and have never fished the WP jetty. How to get there and anyone interested in car pooling? There's 2 of us from north Snoco. We have our own gear and can pitch in for gas. Thank you.

Just put Westhaven State Park in your GPS. 3 hours from Seattle.

It is an interesting experience. That is for sure. At the risk of sounding like an old man... It is not for the person without good knees, or the desire to put your body through some work. At 52, I felt like it was an uphill hump, even though it's a level jetty of course. Just a hellu lot of boulders to climb. I watched a boat crash into the jetty, leading to Coast Guard air evac, etc.
Don't forget either a long extension net, or check if a gaff is legal. Without either, you will be in a jam to land at least the Lings.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:41 pm

Went there two weeks ago. tangled with 5 big lings, but my brother stole our long handled net so none of them came home. Biggest was at least 15 lbs, that hurt. I wrote a piece about it a while back, it's on the articles section I believe. Came home with about 15 lbs of greenling perch and rockfish though.

R&S Parrish
Angler

Post by R&S Parrish » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:18 pm

Anything clear or salt and pepper for the Seabass I like mini b2 squids in uv purple haze but I also look for walleye stuff at Cabelas or Bass pro to go on sale and buy up a bunch of 2-3 inch curly tail grubs. These fish always have bellies full of little shrimp so I try to match them. I was drifting them on a drop shot rig but I've fished them on lead heads off the jetty as well. For the lings live greenling on a big circle hook are hard to beat. I rig them with no weight. 8" white grubs on a lead head are a close second and I catch an occasional cabezon on them too.

NWBoater45
Petty Officer

Post by NWBoater45 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:16 pm

Thanks R&S.

I am curious to know if anyone has had any luck on the jetty on the Ocean Shores side.

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:53 pm

been hitting the jetty once a week for awhile now. done alright, mostly greenlings. haven't logged on this site in awhile.

TeachingTitusToFish
Petty Officer

Post by TeachingTitusToFish » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:10 am

Awe man, haven't checked on this post in a few weeks and there have been a bunch of replies. Thanks guys! Nate your article you wrote a few years back is what got me fishing the jetty in the first place! I used to follow your posts. Glad to see you're around and doing well! I'll probably head out there next weekend.

Oh one more question, Nate- how do you tie on the jetty rocks so they don't come off your line?

Let's_Go_Fishing!
Petty Officer

Post by Let's_Go_Fishing! » Thu May 05, 2016 2:18 am

Is there anyone here with a boat that has a couple open seats? We would gladly chip in reasonably and/or bring a full lunch and snacks. Please be okay with a respectful smoker. We're in the 8-2 area. Can fish weekdays or mornings. Would consider a camp out while there. Thanks! :fish:

local33stagehand
Angler

Post by local33stagehand » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:40 am

Any new reports? Im going to head out that way on my kayak next week.