Westport Marina

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
aceshi21
Petty Officer

Westport Marina

Post by aceshi21 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:51 am

I will be in Westport this week for a tuna trip, and will be getting to town later afternoon, but before all my buddies will be there.

I planned on taking my rod and a few lures and sitting on a dock and cast for a little while until they show up.

Does anyone know if there will be anything in the marina waters, if so, what to expect. Ive heard of the occasional steelhead and later season coho being caught there in the marina, however not sure if anything would be there right now. Im hoping for an early season coho or something. If nothing else, Ill catch a buzz from the beer in the cooler that ill be sitting on!! [thumbup] :nemo:

Ratherbefishing
Petty Officer

Re: Westport Marina

Post by Ratherbefishing » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:35 pm

Worth a try! Not impossible. Boat basin can be pretty consistent in September. Now a bit early but hell. Why not? Not sure how much effort you want to put in. Chartreuse rotator jigs! [thumbup] if their in there you'll find em.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

aceshi21
Petty Officer

Post by aceshi21 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:36 am

Awesome! Thanks!

LastCast
Angler

Post by LastCast » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:58 pm

I was down there this wknd 8/23..didnt see anybody fishing the marina basin. Get some of those live anchovies I think they are and toss them in a couple feet below a bobber.

aceshi21
Petty Officer

Post by aceshi21 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:41 pm

Didn't get a chance last month to do any fishing in the basin, going back this weekend for Salmon Tales and to participate in the basin derby.

Has any one been there lately? How is the fishing? What lures have been most effective lately?

How about some jigs with hoochies or marabou? Colors? Weights?

Thanks!

odddoylerules
Petty Officer

Post by odddoylerules » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:50 pm

Many of the locals use puyallup river drift gear (cough) but if you prefer a sporting approach I've used jigs w success, also cut plugs cast n retrieved. Many use the big mepps syclone spoons but I haven't seen that work, and I also haven't seen any off the big spinners ppl throw either so save ur money for bait and rigs.

Dont bother fishing unless u see em!! : )

Oh and I used cheap steelhead jigs, I think they were an eagle claw 5 pack I got for 3 bucks. Supermod was filing the chartreuse paint off the head and smearing it w smelly jelly herring salt