Fox Island Pier

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
aceshi21
Petty Officer

Fox Island Pier

Post by aceshi21 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:19 am

I searched for any tips and suggested times for fishing the Fox Island Pier, specifically for kings, but was unable to find anything specifically relevant to my goals. I hope some can help me steer in the right direction.

I am looking to fish the Pier soon, in hopes of landing a king. Has anyone fished there before with any success? If so, when is a solidly 'hot' (using that term loosely, I know there isn't much of a population running through there) time to fish? What lures would be good? I was thinking buzz bombs, maybe the 4-4.5 inch in various colors.

Any suggestions would help on timing, lure and color selections, etc.

Thank you!

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Fox Island Pier

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:54 am

I dont think it will matter what you use, but if nothing else, you can at least get in some good casting practice :)

Kings are almost always deep, so your odds of finding one near shore are slim at the best of times and these days are far from the best of times in area 13. You are more likely to find a coho and in a few more weeks maybe some pinks. When the pinks get down there of course go with something pink. In the mean time a buzz bomb is probably as good a choice as any.

No matter what, Id say look for an early or late (so its relatively dark) tide change when the current is slack and hope for the best.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:30 pm

what about bottomfish off that pier? Maybe some flounder or perch?

aceshi21
Petty Officer

Post by aceshi21 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:02 pm

Larry3215 wrote:I dont think it will matter what you use, but if nothing else, you can at least get in some good casting practice :)

Kings are almost always deep, so your odds of finding one near shore are slim at the best of times and these days are far from the best of times in area 13. You are more likely to find a coho and in a few more weeks maybe some pinks. When the pinks get down there of course go with something pink. In the mean time a buzz bomb is probably as good a choice as any.

No matter what, Id say look for an early or late (so its relatively dark) tide change when the current is slack and hope for the best.
Ya, I figured it would be a long shot for a king from there, but a lack of a boat makes it difficult to make anything happen. I figured with getting onto a pier, Id have a better shot at slinging a buzz bomb as far out as possible to find the deeper waters.

If your lines aren't wet, then your possibilities of catching a fish are slim to none. I think I might have a better chance during the same week or two going to chambers and battling for a king than taking the drive across the bridge to fox island. Always worth a shot however.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:30 pm

Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:what about bottomfish off that pier? Maybe some flounder or perch?
I fished there years ago but never caught anything but small sculpins/bullheads. On the other hand, Ive caught flounder almost everywhere else in the sound, so its possible.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:31 pm

aceshi21 wrote:
Larry3215 wrote:I dont think it will matter what you use, but if nothing else, you can at least get in some good casting practice :)

Ya, I figured it would be a long shot for a king from there, but a lack of a boat makes it difficult to make anything happen. I figured with getting onto a pier, Id have a better shot at slinging a buzz bomb as far out as possible to find the deeper waters.

If your lines aren't wet, then your possibilities of catching a fish are slim to none. I think I might have a better chance during the same week or two going to chambers and battling for a king than taking the drive across the bridge to fox island. Always worth a shot however.
If you're going to be driving anyway, head north. The further north you go the better your odds are of catching a salmon of some kind.