Flounder Setup

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:Flounder Setup

Post by Toni » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:40 pm

fisherhall wrote:I live in Area 11 and the regs say the limit here is 2 bottomfish.
That is incorrect.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:46 pm

I keep seeing that reg question come up on other forums.
There is just way too many rules in the pamphlet. Somebody needs to take a look at how thick the book is getting. I have a copy of old regs from 89-90 and the booklet now is 10 times as thick. There is way more rules than information in there...

jmpurser
Petty Officer

Post by jmpurser » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:03 pm

fisherhall wrote:I live in Area 11 and the regs say the limit here is 2 bottomfish.
Flounder are by definition "Bottomfish" and they have a limit of 15 with no further limits on Flounder specifically. You might want to check that with Game & Fish but I'm pretty sure I'm right.
John
Tacoma, WA
Exploring Puget Sound one Pier and one beach at a time.

jamezy
Angler

Post by jamezy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:47 am

well i live right by redondo and i have a boat... and some poles but no takle im new to fishing and im 16 and i wanted to try fishing for flounder can anyone tell me of where to go on a boat and what i would need as of takel and bait my e mail is liljamezy@gmail.com and if its season for them?? thanks soo much hope to hear from you

jmpurser
Petty Officer

Post by jmpurser » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:40 am

jamezy wrote:well i live right by redondo and i have a boat... and some poles but no takle im new to fishing and im 16 and i wanted to try fishing for flounder can anyone tell me of where to go on a boat and what i would need as of takel and bait my e mail is liljamezy@gmail.com and if its season for them?? thanks soo much hope to hear from you
Morning,

You might want to check out this site:
https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/erules/index.jsp

You can download the rules and regs there as a pdf file and check them out for yourself. There are plenty of tips on where and what tackle and bait to use in this thread. I'm new up here myself and have been reading them with great interest.

Good luck.
John
Tacoma, WA

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:15 am

jamezy just find some sandy or gravel bottom around your area and you should find flounder. i like to use red #4
hooks (baitholders are probly best, but salmon hooks work well too), just enuff weight to keep the bait close to the bottom. i usually tie up a rig with two hooks about a foot or so apart or you can buy like crappie rigs or those bottom rig some sites sell. squid works really well and is easy & cheap and stays on the hooks well. if you got time you can dig sand shrimp or pile worms, even tube worms off floating docks catch fish. they're not to picky the main thing is hook size. they're a butt load of fun on light tackle. hope this helps
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

fisherhall
Warrant Officer

Post by fisherhall » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:42 pm

Sorry guys. I didn't see that.

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:32 pm

Jamezy, I fished right out in front of Redondo last year. I caught several Sandabs or smaller flatfish, no bigger ones however...

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:13 am

For flounder/sole I use buzz bombs in about 15-25 feet of water. Yukon Harbor in Puget Sound (around Blake Island) is really good for Flounder fishing and some weigh over 5 pounds. I would seriously suggest looking into this fishery. As a kid I grew up in Manchester, WA so I know all the areas around there. Yukon Harbor is really good, along with sand/gravel bottoms along Blake Island, and Allen Bank.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

jmpurser
Petty Officer

Post by jmpurser » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:11 am

Are you guys catching flounder or sole? The only flatfish I've caught are about a foot long and have a very small round mouth. No way could they get a buzz bomb in their mouth. And there's not much meat on them either.

Just curious. If there's a bigger flatfish out there I need to be targeting I want to know about it.
John
Tacoma, WA

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:29 pm

I personally would not eat a flounder or any bottomfish from Elliot,Commencement,or Everett area.If I did I would look very seriously at the entrails and meat.I agree with Sam on it woud have to be good moving very clean water.No estuary areas anywhere in Wa State.But when nothing else is happening they are fun to catch.I use my trout Eagle Claw and a Mitchell 300 type of reel.Herring pieces and clam necks work well.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:09 pm

jmpurser wrote:Are you guys catching flounder or sole? The only flatfish I've caught are about a foot long and have a very small round mouth. No way could they get a buzz bomb in their mouth.
We're talking about flounder. Flounder can easily take a buzz bomb. They do have smaller mouths, but I've caught 6" flounder on 3" buzz bombs...so they are pretty crazy little buggers. My largest was around 25" and around 4.5lbs if I remember right. Remember, they don't necessarily engulf the whole buzz bomb, rather one of the trebles on the treble hooks ends up catching the fish. They are very good to eat, but I would only eat them in areas where the tidal flow is sufficient (i.e. the Strait of Juan De Fuca).

kayak chris
Petty Officer

Post by kayak chris » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:36 am

I have found that the best bait/lure for flounder is the Blakemore Road Runner. For some reason the flounder find that little flasher irresistable. The beauty of it is: "no need to carry any bait." I usually take 3 or 4 with in the yak and can limit anywhere I would keep the "15" fish in a couple of hours.