pier/surf for salmon this weekend?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Parlance
Angler

pier/surf for salmon this weekend?

Post by Parlance » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:40 am

Longtime lurker, first time poster

I've spent a lot of time on the forums looking for an answer but thought I'd just take a chance at just asking this question. The wife and I are looking for some options to pier/shore fish this weekend over on the Olympic Peninsula on Saturday. We don't have a boat, so options are limited. I'd like to take my chances at catching some salmon whereas the wife like to bottomfish. We also have some crab pots we can throw down. I was thinking Fort Worden or Fort Flagler might be a solid option but i'm unsure that Salmone have made it that far into the system.

I've considered Hoodsport Hatchery area but it looks like even trying for bottomfish is closed which may make the wife's day a tad boring (but better crabbing).

Hopefully, someone with better knowledge than myself can help this newbie out (both to the region, fishing and forums).

Thanks!

SoDakboy
Petty Officer

Re: pier/surf for salmon this weekend?

Post by SoDakboy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:41 pm

I've never salmon fished before, and am just starting to get into saltwater as a whole. I would think Dungeness Spit might work. You are at least getting away from land that way, I'm not sure how soon the bottom drops off of there though.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Re: pier/surf for salmon this weekend?

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:06 am

Hoodsport hatchery wouldn't be a good place for crabbing, and salmon aren't in there yet.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson