where on Whidbey for clams, crabs, flounders & other fish?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dockfishinguy
Angler

where on Whidbey for clams, crabs, flounders & other fish?

Post by dockfishinguy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:24 pm

Hey guys,

I'm headed up to Whidbey early friday morning. Thinking about clamming during low tide in penn cove then trying for some fish and crabs from a dock somewhere. Will be ferrying over and back from Mukilteo. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

RE:where on Whidbey for clams, crabs, flounders & other fish?

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:29 pm

Never tried it, but there is a nice big dock at Coupeville. If it's anything like other Puget Sound docks, there should be perch around the pilings and flounder casting out further. And of course plenty of shiner perch everywhere.

Be sure to check the red tide hotline before clamming.

Have fun. There is no such thing as a bad day on Whidbey Island.

Whidbeyfisherman
Petty Officer

Post by Whidbeyfisherman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:43 pm

Crabbing has been great on the south end. The ferry dock may actually be a good bet, there is a section off to the side that is possible to crab from. One thing to keep is mind is that there is a large street festival in Langley on Saturday and Sunday, so be prepared for ferry lines. Early and late ferries are your best bets. Friday morning early may not be too bad, just be ready to spend some time in your car if your heading home sunday night. There is also a marina in Langley which is fishable on the outer edge. Best of Luck and enjoy the island.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:43 pm

I just got back last week from fishing on Whidbey. Check out:
http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReportCo ... lid=12&t=2

I wouldn't even bother with a dock. Go to Ft. Casey. Drive into the area where the soccer fields are, (army barracs) park right by the water, directly West towards water from the fields. Right there is a large kelp bed that sits off shore about 150'. In about 30-45 minutes of fishing. I caught great fish. Lingcod, Kelp Greenling, some undetermined variety of rockfish.. All fish were 18+ inches, and pulled line off the reel. To me it was worth the ferry boat price in itself.

If you have any questions, send me a PM.

Do keep in mind that 2 out of 3 of these fish are out of season, and therefor not legal. Read the regs. carefully first. :rendeer:
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:05 pm

Not trying to bust your chops Quad, but, I believe that kelp bed is part of the Admiralty Head Marine Preserve. Only open for sea urchins & sea cucumbers. See regs page 118. Info point # 5.
Life's short - fish hard!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:32 am

I used to live on Whidbey. I rented a wtfnt cabin for a spell.Clamming and crabbing is best done just north of the ferry terminal to Langley.The Sarratoga passag area was best for me.I believe the area I liked most was Columbia Beach.On the road there is a small area with public area to enjoy.Crabbing was done in 40-60 ft of water.Use the Langley Launch. I tried the Freeland launch but its to flat and shallow to launch a larger boat. I had to drive off the ramp to launch. Not fun even with 4 wheel drive.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

dockfishinguy
Angler

Post by dockfishinguy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:08 pm

Thanks for the info guys! I will be doing everything from shore on a one day trip. Gonna try Penn Cove for clams during the AM low tide then head for a dock somewhere to crab and fish. If anyone knows of a place closer to the ferry for clamming let me know! Thanks again!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:27 pm

wolverine wrote: Not trying to bust your chops Quad, but, I believe that kelp bed is part of the Admiralty Head Marine Preserve. Only open for sea urchins & sea cucumbers. See regs page 118. Info point # 5.

Wolverine,, no worries on the info. you gave me. Wow! I can't believe it, I really blew it on fishing that spot. I consider myself a respectful person on following the rules. I should have looked more specificly at where I was going to be. I kind of just called it Area 9... and figured it was good at least to catch/release. I guess next time I will look more closely to closed areas.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

dockfishinguy
Angler

Post by dockfishinguy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:13 pm

I know it was three weeks ago... but I had a BLAST! took my limit of clams and could have taken the same of mussels but didn't feel it was necessary with all 40 clams I took. That was in Penn Cove. I didn't know Penn Cove was famous for its mussels but I now know why! SOOO tasty.

Tooled around the Island for a bit just enjoying the sun and found the Marina at Langley to drop my Rings. It was HOTTT! 92 with no wind in that little cove! I 1.5 hours I had my limit on dungies and one rock crab!

When I got home My roommate helped me clean and shuck everything and we had a very nice seafood feast.

All in all a great day! Sorry i have no pics but my camera won't hook up to my aging computer.

motorek
Petty Officer

Post by motorek » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:15 am

wolverine wrote: Not trying to bust your chops Quad, but, I believe that kelp bed is part of the Admiralty Head Marine Preserve. Only open for sea urchins & sea cucumbers. See regs page 118. Info point # 5.
I not really know where the place is. There is also a sign, going down the beach where the big canon is, saying "fishing boundary". Is the sign related to the fishing reg - page 118. Info point # 5. Sign is confusing because on both sides had the same information. I heard here and there that people fish fort case. I am considering fort case us potential place for fishing so I would like to be informed.

I would appreciate if somebody would provide me with some more details.

Thanks

NathanD
Petty Officer

Post by NathanD » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:57 am

motorek , when you go down to the beach by the big guns at Fort Casey, the area from the large sign on
the beach all the way around the point heading south to the ferry dock is open for fishing. It is the area
to the north of the sign by the guns that is the marine preserve.
On the south side of the ferry terminal is another preserve area closed for fishing, from the tip of the
jetty near the boat ramp to the old wharf you see on the beach.