WL- Offical Wet Xmas Swap

Post Fly patterns, photos and directions here
Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:WL- Offical Wet Xmas Swap

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:56 am

Those especially. Years ago I would try to bend the barb over and on a hook that size, a lot of them broke. With a small barb like that, all you have to do is just barely touch the barb and it is gone.

My theory about barbed/barbless hooks is this. With a barbless hook, you actually get a cleaner and deeper penetration because there is less resistance. This can be demonstrated by pushing the hook under the first layer or two of skin on your finger, say on a callus. I experienced more lost fish during retrieval with barbed hooks than with barbless.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:39 am

Marc Martyn wrote:I use the Dremel MultiPro Cordless rotary tool with a small cut-off wheel. It works fantastic.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/tools/tool- ... 04&I=69677

I have been grinding down the barb on my flies this way for about 15 years now. I have never had a hook break under the point.

This method will leave the hook perfectly smooth. It will pass any wardens test:cyclopsan .......guaranteed!!
You got me Marc. If you hadn't have shown such a great picture or said guaranteed, I wouldn't be thinking of getting one. Looks like a great way to go. :cheers:
Lowe's has them for $39.95. Is this one the same model as yours? :-k
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

JimLyons
Petty Officer

Post by JimLyons » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:44 am

I find it easier to tie with barbless too. Not so much now, but when I first started I would often catch my thread on the last bit of the barb. I don't think the barb really keeps fish on either. The fish at Amber and Medical seem to be in the air more than they are in the water during the fight, I think it is more about keeping the steady pressure. Man the rainbows are big in Medical again. Do you guys fish it much? I love that lake..

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:19 am

Lotech Joe wrote:
Marc Martyn wrote:I use the Dremel MultiPro Cordless rotary tool with a small cut-off wheel. It works fantastic.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/tools/tool- ... 04&I=69677

I have been grinding down the barb on my flies this way for about 15 years now. I have never had a hook break under the point.

This method will leave the hook perfectly smooth. It will pass any wardens test:cyclopsan .......guaranteed!!
You got me Marc. If you hadn't have shown such a great picture or said guaranteed, I wouldn't be thinking of getting one. Looks like a great way to go. :cheers:
Lowe's has them for $39.95. Is this one the same model as yours? :-k
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none
That's the same model that I have, Joe. It works very well and comes with an assortment of accessories, including the cut-off discs. You will want to use the thinner disc.

If you get one, let me know what you think.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:26 am

JimLyons wrote:I find it easier to tie with barbless too. Not so much now, but when I first started I would often catch my thread on the last bit of the barb. I don't think the barb really keeps fish on either. The fish at Amber and Medical seem to be in the air more than they are in the water during the fight, I think it is more about keeping the steady pressure. Man the rainbows are big in Medical again. Do you guys fish it much? I love that lake..
2006 was a banner year for me out at Medical. It was a fantastic year for browns. My Avatar was one of the many that I caught of that size in just a couple of hours.

This year was a tough year for me, I had trouble finding them and hooking up. Hopefully next year they will be more cooperative. Several guys, including Raff, did quite well at Medical this year. Maybe I wasn't holding my rod right.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:39 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:I filed my barbs down. I fish all barbless.
I thought about doing this as well, but I get tired of complaints form others when I do.

If I had the choice, I'd order all of my hooks without barbs. Truthfully, barbs don't keep fish on, but they do inhibit penetration.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:43 pm

Lotech Joe wrote:I mash my barbs down with needle nose or vise. However, I think I sent my flies with barbs attached. So here's a question for all who plan a demise for their barbs. Do you clip, file or mash your barbs. I've heard that clipping still leaves a jagged edge. I've actually heard that the Game Warden at Rocky Ford has actually tested some hooks by trying to back a hook out of a sweater. If it left no wool on the hook then it was alright. I've also heard that filing the barb could actually weaken the shank just under the point. Just curious what method we all use and why.
I have heard, but not confirmed, that if you flaten the barb down, and the dude at Rocky Ford sites after using the "sweater" method, that you can challenge in court and he won't even show up. You win just by showing up at court. :-# :-# :-#

I think he does it because he knows no one will challenge him. You know, because he knows he can get away with it. Perhaps a power trip, a police man want a be.

Having said that, I still perefer to use barbless hooks, so don't take my comments wrong.

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:11 pm

I don't know how I would react if (Jason) our local warden did the sweater trick.I'm glad we don't have the guy from Rocky Ford.Sometimes I will file the barbs down or use the dremmel but sometime one will slip by until I hit the water then I'll use pliars or hemos to push it down.To tell the truth I perfer fishing barbless for almost everything.I do believe you get a cleaner hook set and then the releasing part of the catch is way easier plus your hook will back out of your net alot easier.I use the knotless nets as well.How about ya'll.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:23 pm

shawn wrote:I don't know how I would react if (Jason) our local warden did the sweater trick.I'm glad we don't have the guy from Rocky Ford.Sometimes I will file the barbs down or use the dremmel but sometime one will slip by until I hit the water then I'll use pliars or hemos to push it down.To tell the truth I perfer fishing barbless for almost everything.I do believe you get a cleaner hook set and then the releasing part of the catch is way easier plus your hook will back out of your net alot easier.I use the knotless nets as well.How about ya'll.
Knotless for C&R. Knotted for C&F.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

David Hall
Petty Officer

Post by David Hall » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:02 pm

Glad to hear the fly swap is going well, anxious to see various patterns. with everyone talking about barbless, and Rocky Ford, has anyone been down there recently? I have some time off for x-mas break, and am just wondering. This would be the first time in 25 years that I have had some time off, to do something as special as going to Rocky Ford. If anyone has any hints or information, I would sure appreciate the return message.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:59 pm

David Hall wrote:Glad to hear the fly swap is going well, anxious to see various patterns. with everyone talking about barbless, and Rocky Ford, has anyone been down there recently? I have some time off for x-mas break, and am just wondering. This would be the first time in 25 years that I have had some time off, to do something as special as going to Rocky Ford. If anyone has any hints or information, I would sure appreciate the return message.
There is a whole slough of people from another website (flyanglersonline) going there on Jan 1. It has turned into a traditional way to start the new year. If the wind is calm enough, and the sun is shining, it promises to be a great day of fishing. Small dry patterns like PMD's, BWO's, Spinners and Gnats, all in a size 18 or 20 have done well in those conditions. PTN's, Hare's Ears, Copper Johns & tan weighted scuds sizes 12-16 work well subsurface. Mostly, everyone goes there to tie up with old friends more than to fish. I've been therein all kinds of conditions from calm and sunny to horizontal snow in a blizzard, and alway have had fun. Try it, you might like it.

Could be a new WL.com tradition as well.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

JimLyons
Petty Officer

Post by JimLyons » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:13 am

I was at Rocky Ford in October and we did okay, five in about two hours. I use a brass bead head nymph with a forked white tail that is #16 or smaller. We will have to fish Medical Marc. The bows in there are bruisers again. When they planted Browns in ther in the early nineties to eat the bass and crappies it devastated an amazing lunker rainbow lake. We are lucky to have such cool uncrowded lakes so close. Hey Beresford do you have all the flies yet?:cheers:

beresford13861
Warrant Officer

Post by beresford13861 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:20 pm

still two sets missing, one is suposed to be on the way.
will close the swap next friday, so i can sort them.

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:24 pm

Cool I am anxious to see everyones flies.What do the fly boxes look like.Do they have the Wl logo on them if they did that would be so sweet.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

beresford13861
Warrant Officer

Post by beresford13861 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:36 pm

shawn wrote:Cool I am anxious to see everyones flies.What do the fly boxes look like.Do they have the Wl logo on them if they did that would be so sweet.
they are Plano 6 spot, fliptop tackle boxes, about 4"x6".
they do have WL.com sticker on it!!

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:47 am

shawn wrote:I don't know how I would react if (Jason) our local warden did the sweater trick.I'm glad we don't have the guy from Rocky Ford.Sometimes I will file the barbs down or use the dremmel but sometime one will slip by until I hit the water then I'll use pliars or hemos to push it down.To tell the truth I perfer fishing barbless for almost everything.I do believe you get a cleaner hook set and then the releasing part of the catch is way easier plus your hook will back out of your net alot easier.I use the knotless nets as well.How about ya'll.
When I am fishing out of my pontoon, or from shore, I use a knotless super soft net.

When I am fishing out of my boat, I use a rubber net, stretch kind, with some metal connectors - nothing to catch or remove slime.

Your comments on barbs fits my position exactly. I even have a special pair of flat jawed needle nose pliers that I keep in fly fly vest (normal and steelhead), just because I MIGHT stop and buy a pattern on the way. Ever try to buy a barbless fly at your local sporting goods shop?

beresford13861
Warrant Officer

Post by beresford13861 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:24 am

still waiting on two dozen... im gona close this swap saturday so i can sort and take pictures.

ill tie up an emerger or larve of some sort.. to cover one dozen, the second dozen is in the mail so im waiting for it..
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beresford13861
Warrant Officer

Post by beresford13861 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:17 pm

DBK's flys arrived today.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:30 pm

beresford13861,
I for one, would like to thank you for all your efforts putting this swap together. It's been fun being a part of the first fly swap on WL.com . I'm really looking forward to seeing the pictures and even more looking forward to seeing the real thing. If you ever get up this way let me know. I would love to show you some of my favorite honey holes.
Thanks Again,
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

beresford13861
Warrant Officer

Post by beresford13861 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:02 pm

alright guys, my vise cracked, im closing the swap with 11 flys. ill start sorting tomorrow.