Penn Reel Service Help

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
Bay wolf
Commander

Penn Reel Service Help

Post by Bay wolf » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:45 am

I have two Penn 321gTi (lefties) that I need to have gone over. I want to use them for our first ever Halibut trip in May. The reels are in good shape with the exception of a missing spool tension assembly.

Can anyone recommend a good local shop or person that can give these a good cleaning and repair the one?

I'm in Puyallup.

Thanks.
Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting!
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Penn Reel Service Help

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:46 am

Check with the guys at Sportco in Fife and Limit Out Marine. Between the two you should get it fixed or told where can do it.

Bay wolf
Commander

Post by Bay wolf » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:00 am

Larry3215 wrote:Check with the guys at Sportco in Fife and Limit Out Marine. Between the two you should get it fixed or told where can do it.
Thanks Checked at Sportco. They gave me a card for a fella, but he never answers the phone and does not return my calls? I'd hate to drop off my reels and then never be able to get a hold of him...
Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting!
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:27 pm

Ouch!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:43 pm

This is a topic that I put some time into a while back. Although I have still not got around to fixing anything.

Check out: http://olliedamons.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This place came up recommended by many people. I realize that it is out of town, and you send them your reel, but it looked very professional and had many positive reviews. In Portland, not that far really.

"Edit".. Thanks for bringing this back up. After reading again about Olliedamons, I'm packaging my stuff up and sending it off.

db340
Petty Officer

Post by db340 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:00 am

I have had good luck with John's in Everett,I do my own service but they have always had the parts needed in stock. I tried Penn 320's for a season and after having several spool tension caps and springs fall off in use I sold them and went back to the 209's/309's. If you are going to use the 321's put a dab of thread locker or even rtv sealant on the cap threads, set the tension where you want it and let it cure. Also, put a few extra caps and springs in your tackle box as they will at some point save a day of fishing .

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:18 am

db340 wrote:I have had good luck with John's in Everett,I do my own service but they have always had the parts needed in stock. I tried Penn 320's for a season and after having several spool tension caps and springs fall off in use I sold them and went back to the 209's/309's. If you are going to use the 321's put a dab of thread locker or even rtv sealant on the cap threads, set the tension where you want it and let it cure. Also, put a few extra caps and springs in your tackle box as they will at some point save a day of fishing .
Db340, when were you last having reels done at John's? I only ask because for at least 2-3 years now I am told when I call them, that the guy doing reel service no longer works there.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:34 pm

I take my reels to greg's over by lake stevens. he's done a great job on my gear and is really good with matching the thread & wrap on the guides I've need replaced. plus he doesn't charge as much as john's.

Last time I went to john's, I wanted to get my revo toro 60 lubed & cleaned before giving it to my father in-law. Even though the reel saw little use and was stored with drag backed off, it was a hassle to convince john's that the drag washers were pretty much new and that I wasn't gonna pay extra for them to intall new ones. Then when I got the reel back I was checking it out and discovered the ridged washer (not sure what's it called lol) the was under the spool tension cap that made it click while adjusting was missing. took me 2 days to convince them that my tension knob clicked before I brought it to them and that they had lost a piece of my reel.

Bay Wolf, you might try tracking down the number for George's Rod & Reel Repair in Lacey. He does good work for a good price. When I lived in Tacoma he was the guy I took my rods & reels to.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

db340
Petty Officer

Post by db340 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:15 pm

The Quadfather wrote:
db340 wrote:I have had good luck with John's in Everett,I do my own service but they have always had the parts needed in stock. I tried Penn 320's for a season and after having several spool tension caps and springs fall off in use I sold them and went back to the 209's/309's. If you are going to use the 321's put a dab of thread locker or even rtv sealant on the cap threads, set the tension where you want it and let it cure. Also, put a few extra caps and springs in your tackle box as they will at some point save a day of fishing .
Db340, when were you last having reels done at John's? I only ask because for at least 2-3 years now I am told when I call them, that the guy doing reel service no longer works there.

Quad,the last reel they did for me was when cardinal reels were made by abu and distributed by zebco. I use Johns for parts and do my own service although i Have John's do my scotties to this day.Hadnt heard they were no longer doing reels.