Wading Boots

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
HillbillyGeek
Captain

Wading Boots

Post by HillbillyGeek » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:55 am

I need new wading boots and have been getting by with huge rubber boots -- which have zero cushion & arch support.
Rather than going with traditional wading shoes, I'm toying with the idea of high-top basketball shoes that are a few sizes too big. They would be great for hiking but wet traction could be a problem. All synthetic materials. What do you think?

These would work (size 18). $50 is a little steep. I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives...

BentRod
Admiral

Re: Wading Boots

Post by BentRod » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:17 pm

I've seen people use sneakers as wading shoes over their waders. If you go that route, I'd recommend finding some at the local thrift store/Goodwill. You can also glue pieces of felt or outdoor carpet to the soles to aid with grip for those slippery conditions. One thing they don't have is the reinforced toe protection for when you jam your toes between the boulders, but I grew up wading in old tennis shoes while trout fishing, so once your feet go numb you don't feel anything anyhow! [laugh]

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:31 pm

Hiking boots are on sale all the time at big 5. I paid $20 bucks for mine(reg price was $50). Great traction and very comfortable. Last year when a fishing buddy of mine needed new wading boots I told him how I get mine from big 5 for $20-$25 and he gave me the old "you get what you pay for". He went and paid $125 for a pair of actual "wading boots" and on the first 2 trips out in them he slipped and fell on his a$$. Then the 3rd trip out in his "wading boots" it had snowed and he had snow cake up on the sole of his boots 6 inches thick......it was quite funny and I gave him plenty of sarcasim about how I wish I would have spent the extra $100 so I could also have actual "wading boots". He was gaining an inch in height with every other step.

Not saying all wading boots are going to have these issues but he took the wading boots back and went and bought $20 hiking boots at big 5 and said they felt much better then the ones he took back and said the traction was better and felt more stable in slippery conditions.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:51 pm

I will say I LOVE my Korkers. You can pop the soles off to switch between rubber and felt. Super comfortable and easy to get on and off. I think they are worth the $100. But otherwise I agree with goodtimes.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:14 am

Cabelas guide wader boots, $69, nothing fancy but the most comfy shoes I own.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Post by bugmasta » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:23 pm

buy korkers