Downriggers

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
kcadwal
Angler

Downriggers

Post by kcadwal » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:22 pm

I am in the process of setting up downriggers on my boat. Can I get some pro and com on 48" vs 24" booms. One side already has a Penn swivel-matic base, so I'll likely stick with Penn and get another swivel-matic base for the otherside.
Thanks.

saltyseadog
Commander

RE:Downriggers

Post by saltyseadog » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:35 pm

i had 48 inch booms on my penns. but being i have a older boat switched to 24'' cause i thought it put to much stress on the gunwale where the swivel base is mounted
fish on!

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:42 pm

I'd personally go with the shorter arm since it makes setting things up easier.
Lee

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:11 pm

I've only fished with the 24" Penns, but it sure is easy to reach out and grab the ball/clip. I think you need a hook/helper to do so on the 48".

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:31 pm

48'' booms are nice for trolling but hard to manage even with a swivel base. I like 24" best. For me its easier to reach and when you swing them in you dont have this 4' thing in the way.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

medic1
Petty Officer

Post by medic1 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:11 pm

If you plan to run 2 on one side of the boat put the 24 in the back and the 48 up front. If you have no reason to run that many downriggers just stick with the 24. I don't know about Penn but Scotty offers a telescopic boom. That way if you are just running one rod per side you can keep it collapsed and when you run a rod or 2 off the back then you can extend the boom to widen the spread and not get tangled as easy. Hope this helps

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:58 am

Let's take a step back. Ditch the Penn mount and go with a semi-local product, Scotty, vastly superior product in design and price. Two Scotty bases will be less than one Penn. Scotty’s are stronger than Penn’s or Cannon. Scotty’s are belt drive as opposed to gear drive. If a Penn or Cannon breaks, you are out for the season. If a Scotty breaks, you replace a belt and worst case it's gone for a week. I have seen Penn’s break where they slide onto the base, into the drink held by the electric cord, for a second…… As far as length of boom, I like them as long as I can get them. Scotty has a little retriever cord to pull the whole deal into the boat, no leaning over and no swiveling. I like them long because it separates the presentation and there is less of a chance of crossing and tangling if you have to turn sharp and they act as stabilizers when trolling.
Get setup with Scotty's you'll be glad you did!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:51 am

I too think the longer the boom, the better - you keep your gear on each side of the boat farther away from each other, as well as farther away from the prop (for when you have to make that 90 degree turn when some noob cuts you off). You shouldn't be reaching out way over the gunnel to grab the cable when the base swivels. Swivel the boom in towards the boat, and the cable and weight are right there. Clip fishing line to weight, swivel back out, drop down. Easy like ABC and 123.
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:04 am

I agree with Bodo about Scotty Downriggers. I have two 24" electrics and they have worked great for the 9 years I have owned them. I also like the easy reach to get to the clip when attaching the line and I have had no issues with turning as far as distance from the prop goes but that could be due to the fact that I have them mounted about 3' from the back of my boat on both sides. Scotty makes a great dependable product that is less expensive than Penn or Cannon and getting parts locally isn't an issue. Even better I have never needed a part for my Scotty’s with exception to replacing the cable once (last year). Great product.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:57 am

As I have a couple of Penn electrics on my boat, I'll pass on what I have learned while I've owned them. The company is a mess when it comes to support and availability of their electric downriggers and parts for them. Both of my units are second hand and have not given me any grief since I have owned them. The newer swivel bases are expensive but also are very slick in their operation. The older swivel bases are OK but not worth half of what you are going to pay for them on the used market. As for boom length, I have a 48" on the trolling motor side and keep the opposite side at 24". I have the extra addition for the shorter boom but it seems to work out fine this way. As for retrieving the weight and clip, make your own! I use a small stainless steel snap link tied to about 6 feet of light rope. You secure this to your back cleat and snap the link around your downrigger line. To retrieve just pull the rope to you and the weight will come with it. I'll take a few pics and post for clarification. As has been discussed in past posts regarding line length on your clips, keep them long enough so that the weight can be in the water and you are still able to hold onto the clip without leaning over the gunwale.

Don't get worked up over the debate between brands of electric downriggers, each has its pros and cons. However, if I was starting from scratch and going all new, I'd opt for the Scottys. My only beef with them is you need to slip the clutch by hand to drop your gear. If you fish by yourself it can be a major hassle, especially when the wind kicks up.
Attachments
Weight_Retrieval_2.jpg
Weight_Retrieval_2.jpg (111.25 KiB) Viewed 5157 times
Weight_Retrieval.jpg
Weight_Retrieval.jpg (119.04 KiB) Viewed 5157 times

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:42 pm

i agree with dave and bodo scottys are the way to go.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:46 pm

I have a manual Scotty downrigger on my kayak, as well as two gimbal rod holders. Very sturdy and reliable stuff.
Lee

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:02 pm

I have two penn 835's 4' booms and swivel matic bases and theyre superb i can preset my way points up to 3 different ones so i have not gotta worry about stopping the ball as the downrigger does it for me. One less thing to worry about when the kids are in the tub. But although i have the swivel bases i also use the scotty pullies to pull the ball to me. As it is IMO way easier to do that than grab the swivel, grab the boom grab the release clip etc etc etc...I am lucky that i get to use bother scotty and penn regularly and I prefer the penns in many ways except if they were to go balls up then ive no idea how long id be out. But then Id go fish with bodo.
Everyone seems to wank over the scotty's but my penns have been great i also like the fact that they seem to be a smaller proflie and on my high deck they match prefectly.......anyways my 2 cents
Oh and when i bought these GI joes had them for 345bucks. i saved over 400 dollars on each one so in all fairness i really wanted scottys but ended up with some great downriggers.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone