Spinning vs. Bait Cast

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
Gotcha
Petty Officer

Spinning vs. Bait Cast

Post by Gotcha » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:19 pm

For as long as I've been fishing I've always used spinning reels. Now that I'm working on building up my gear for bass I have noticed that a lot of bass anglers use bait cast reels. Is there a real difference or is it more of a personal preference? What, if any, are the pros and cons?
"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." -John Wooden

BassinBomber
Admiral

RE:Spinning vs. Bait Cast

Post by BassinBomber » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:50 pm

I personally used 2 only use Spinning Rods/Reels,..but then I crossed over 2 the "Dark-Side",..now I only use my Spinning Rod for D-Shot,..the advantages for me were,...#1. Allowed me 2 spool heavier line since I started Bassin in the Summer when growth was everywhere and I was constantly in the "Soup",..tossin Frogs and what not,..I needed a heavier line 2 do this. #2. My accuracy improved tremendously. #3. Baitcasters are Low Profile wich fit in my hand very nicely thus enabling me 2 have more control and because my "Thumb" became my best friend overcasting my targets was eliminated. For Swimbaits, Jigs, Cranks, Spinners, Top Water and the rest Baitcasters are for me,..like I said except for the D-Shot that's all I use! JMHO!

BB
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:35 pm

And remember if you decide to covert to the baitcasters or at least try..you get what u pay for!!!Do you reel left or right hand..left hand models are becoming more widely produced than say 5 years ago so that is a plus.If you buy a 45$ baitcaster and have a horrible expierence with it well you will never buy another one or you could spend at least $125 and be more optimistic of your future with them..JMHO...I use spinning gear for d-shot and skipping worms under docks that about all i got.Have fun in ur quest
Member:Capital City Bass Club

Team OLYBOYZ

http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/rr135/sparky240v/

2000subaru
Commander

Post by 2000subaru » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:21 pm

Look at tacklewarehouse.com they usually have great deals on nice baitcasters, plus, if you look around their website you can find their DEMO PROGRAM. You get a reel for a week to try and practice with. Nice deal. They only charge you incurr is the shipping. Great way to try out up to 4 high qulity reels to get a feel for what works best for you.

Chris

Gotcha
Petty Officer

Post by Gotcha » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:31 am

Alright, thanks guys. I think before I buy anything I'll stop by Cabela's out here and get a few in my hands and see how I like it.

I appreciate the input.

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:16 pm

I agree with all the above. Check out the reels at Cabela's and see what you like and what feels good. I probably wouldn't buy any reels there til you get a idea what they Should cost. If I had to pick one I'd go with a Shimano Curado E, you'll be casting good in no time using that gem.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aka Powerworm

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:51 pm

I only use baitcasters for heavy line and heavy lures (1/2 oz and up). Spinning reels work fine for everything smaller.

It's really just a matter of personal preference. If you do buy a baitcaster, make sure you practice BEFORE you try to fish with it.

BTW, a small crochet hook works GREAT for picking backlashes... #-o
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:22 pm

:cheers: The list to let go of a (Coffee Grinder)#-o :-" would be a letter of legend and was shown why in real water conditions by age 10 or younger:cheers: .

1.Baitcasters pin point casting accuracey with a shimano 300 DSC or a Curado 200 or Calcutta= 10 lb Maxima can hit or place a weight or lure within 1 foot at any distance I would fish at in a coffee can size object.

Done this 1,000 of times in fact this is how I start guys on baitcasters in there back yard for at least 2 weeks making 100's of casts before touching the waters we press.
Is this important it can be in a drifter sliding and casting to structure and drops and holes.
2. Fighting Real sporting fish much better control with a baitcaster in fact skilled baitcasters can decrease or increase the drag with there thumb on a Grinder you have little control on big fish.
3. Back= lashes should happen very rarely if your sporting the correct line with the reel and your side tension correctly pre set up and the thumb never leaves your line your Rod and Reel become part off your arm starting with the reel.

4.Coffee Grinders are great for kids and what we call Crackers/early learners it gets them on the water and fishing and summer runs steelhead most clients will use them now why less baby sitting and more water time fishing and trout fishing there fine as well.
I use them on lakes with light lines or very brushy creeks with a shorter stick.

We have 7 or 8 = and 25 baitcasters and on any river I will grab one over a grinder you have 10 times the control can pin point your casts opening a spinning reel bail and casting her stone age stuff.

5. The biggest advantage is free spooling line after you cast my thumb is on my reel 24-7 and I rarely click it in to ensure me constant contact with the bottom throughout my cast from the head to the tailout making more take downs and strikes.

This process is zero with a Grinder at best and causes mass hang up's when guys try to free spool with a Grinder opening a bail and prayer = many lol

Your skills either grow with your gear and early or you stay in the black box of sportsfishing.:eye: :colors:

Now this being said if I have a boat load of kids only one or 2 would have the ability to run a bait casters and the group in whole would be in Coffee and Tea Grinders so they can enjoy the waters and spend more time in them but we do have a Coffee Grinder in the tub the kids WE use I like it hot and often:-$
Fish on!
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:50 pm

One more thing to add, baitcasters with the reel on the left side is considered left handed and if it's on the right side it's right handed. Opposite of the spincasts. I'm right handed and I feel more comfortable reeling with my left hand, so I have to purchase "left hand" models.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:03 pm

kzoo wrote:One more thing to add, baitcasters with the reel on the left side is considered left handed and if it's on the right side it's right handed. Opposite of the spincasts. I'm right handed and I feel more comfortable reeling with my left hand.
I agree kzoo,..I 2 am right-handed but ALL 6 of my Baitcasters are Lefties,..2 me it's 1 less movement you have 2 make while Bassin,...you cast out and never have 2 change hands 2 crank down on your reel,..this is very adventageous 2 the "Tourney-Basser",..that's 1 less move he has 2 make and when time is of the essence this becomes adventageous,..thats' probly 10+ more casts he can make compared 2 the right handed Basser,..and when you never know what each cast will produce I'm sure you want 2 cast as many times as you possibly can! JMHO!

BB
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:20 pm

I can see the point on the lefty reel ... but for me and beginning with my bass fishing having that extra movement allows me to slow down a bit. It causes me to make a point to pause and let the bait settle. Just my 2 cents.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:05 pm

Bisk1tSnGraV wrote:I can see the point on the lefty reel ... but for me and beginning with my bass fishing having that extra movement allows me to slow down a bit. It causes me to make a point to pause and let the bait settle. Just my 2 cents.
And a great 2 pennies it is BnG,..obviously,..some people never switch 2 lefty,..ever,..it's more of a preference/confidence thing,..it just makes more sense 2 me is all,..and easier,..I could see how it might discourage a beginner 2 try this,..but then again,.."Perfect-Practice-Makes-Perfect",..JM2pennies!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:35 pm

Maybe thats BMD prob...Totally fishes wit da odd ball reel..feels like im riding the shortbus and licking windows when i touch his rod hahaha...ewwww STOP IT DONT EVEN GO THERE GUYS!!!!!!!!!!

Team OLYBOYZ

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:10 pm

I like spinning reels.
1. you can use lighter gear way easier weightless worms either live or fake or free drifting eggs.
2. I can change the drag when fighting a fish and have done so many times.
3. I can also cast very accurately with my "coffee grinder".
4. I have caught fish to 35lbs on it and not had trouble.
I will say that casting reels fight fish better but after spending a few days on the river wishing I could use lighter gear and spending more time on the bank then the river I went back . And I am not a newcomer to fishing.

I use a baitcaster with baits over an ounce or 2.

but if you practice enough and you were good at casting it would be worth fishing with it. But there is nothing wrong with spinning gear.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:57 am

There are a few advantages and disadvantages of either type of reel and one needs to decide which will best fit one's style of fishing. I have a preference for using bait casters whenever possible and my rational is as follows: Casting accuracy, line control and one thing that is often overlooked, line twist during a fight with a fish. The first 2 have been discussed in previous posts, the last is something that gets overlooked. If you have a fish run on you with a spinning reel if you try and reel against the drag you will twist the line. This typically occurs with beginners who get overly excited when they have a big fish on the line and just keep cranking no matter what happens. Now unless you have a true direct drive bait caster, and there aren't too many around, you can keep turning the handle against the drag without worry. The big plus for spinning reels is the ability to handle light weights/lures/baits. If I'm fishing for panfish, my setup will almost always be a spinning reel. The exception would be if I'm trolling for them to locate a school. I also use a spinning reel when I'm out fishing small lakes in my pontoon boat as it will handle the light and heavy lures and prevents me from having to bring along 2 poles or go back to shore to switch out my gear. With spinning reels I also really like the ability to switch handles over to whatever side is most comfortable for the angler. Believe it or not, I have found myself switching between left and right hand retrieve after setting the hook on 100+ perch in a day, due to pain from my tennis/pitching elbow.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:51 pm

I have to agree with G-man here, and state that a Bait Caster is nothing more then a tool, and a Spinning Reel is nothing more then a tool, and a Fly Reel is nothing more then a tool. Now, use the right tool for the right job.

Would you try to pull a boat with a Honda Civic? I suppose it may be possible, but the Honda will not last long, and you will not be happy. Would you try to catch a 10 pound bass with 2 pound line? It probably has been done, but I would not trust my luck.

So, if you are tossing light line, and light bait/lures, why use a bait casting reel, the wrong tool, for that job? On the other hand, if you are trying to toss heavy line, heavy lures, and hit pin point targets, why in the world would you want a spinning reel. Just like the Civic, it may do the job, but you won't be happy.

Yes, I can hit that coffee can with my spinning reel, but I can hit my lure sitting on the coffee can with my bait caster. Yes, I can toss a bait a long long way with my bait caster, but I can toss it further with my spinning reel.

I own both, several of both, and yes, I have the fly reel and rods as well. Over time, you will learn that you should indeed use the right tool for the right job.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Gotcha
Petty Officer

Post by Gotcha » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:31 pm

Wow, thanks again guys. I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge that you guys are sharing. I've got a much better understanding now and I think I know what I want to do. Once I find one that I'm comfortable with I'm going to get a lefty, put a little heavier line than what I use for trout, and practice until my wife yells at me lol. Thanks again!

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:07 pm

Well said Anglinarcher,..:thumright !

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:24 pm

Everything AA except toss further with your spinning hmmmm..go to the WL picnic this year and challenge someone to a cast off..baitcasters will throw further than a spinning anyday..Say DEZ for instance or my self if i was there..im just saying but you do make good points along with all of the rest of us

Team OLYBOYZ

fishcreekspinners
Lieutenant

Post by fishcreekspinners » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:07 pm

Please post results! Be sure to try a variety of weights. 1/12oz, 1/8oz, 1/4oz, 1/2oz, 1oz, etc.