Anyone using side imaging sonar?

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
hewesfisher
Admiral

Anyone using side imaging sonar?

Post by hewesfisher » Fri May 17, 2013 10:01 am

Would like some real world user feedback on side imaging sonar. Brand, model, pros/cons. May be in the market for one in the future. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

hewesfisher
Admiral

Re: Anyone using side imaging sonar?

Post by hewesfisher » Mon May 20, 2013 7:30 am

Wow, no one here using SI? Guess I'll have to troll some dedicated bass forums for feedback. [rolleyes]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon May 20, 2013 8:11 am

Well I have but not since my commercial fishing days and of course Gov use and treasure hunting.... I would imagine bass guys would use it a lot more than deep water fishermen. Commercially we used to cruise along the shore line looking for schools of salmon, it was very effective, you could cover a lot of ground and only set the net when you saw fish. The units we used were more like regular color sonar only pointed sideways, not a true imaging sonar. On the ROV's we used imaging sonar, up, down and sideways but they were pretty sophisticated and powerful. A good enough image for spotting mines and such at distance. I guess it would really help to know what you're hoping to gain and if it's just for a new toy, by all means go for it!!!!! Toys for boys are all good!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Mon May 20, 2013 8:55 am

Rseas has a hummngbird with side imaging. Ive never seen it work but i know he is happy with it. And i dont have it :(

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Mon May 20, 2013 11:43 am

I have a hummingbird fishing buddy 120 or 130, not sure.. with side sonar.. its always on and from my results seems relatively accurate.. I see no cons in using it.. only pros.. I'm still learning and collecting my data (in my mind) but i use it and i like it and i think it works..

FishingFool
Commodore

Post by FishingFool » Mon May 20, 2013 4:21 pm

I have a HB 798. Comes in handy, but I don't use It as much as I thought.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Tue May 21, 2013 6:39 am

I want to dial in prime time fishing at Roosevelt when the fish are in the top 10' or so of the surface. When they are, they frequently move away from the boat as you troll over or near them. Standard sonar is useless in that situation. Although I do very well fishing in these conditions, and consistently put them in the cooler, I rarely ever mark them unless they are in the 20' - 30' depth range.

My though is side scan would reduce my "guess" time in locating where they move. I have a good feel for where they usually will be based on time of year, but still have to spend some time trolling before finding out whether they are actually where I think they are.

Have been looking at the Humminbird units, would go no smaller than an 898, the 1198 would be awesome, but more than I think I'd be willing to spend. Would really prefer to have a sonar only unit (don't need a GPS bundled package) but that is evidently not an option.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue May 21, 2013 7:37 am

That's exactly how we used the side scan salmon fishing. I'm not sure how useful the side imaging would be but if you can just use it as a side scan , I'll bet you could really spot them!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Tue May 21, 2013 3:37 pm

I am running a Humminbird 798ci SI Combo. It is not a high end SI unit but does have true SI capibility. Although not used every time out, when I do have the oppertunity to I love the thing. I have found it very effective in locating fish while trolling shallower bays. Recently I have also been experimenting with it while fishing for kokanee and have had positive results.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Tue May 21, 2013 3:44 pm

I have played with my sonar a lot, but there's nothing I can do to make the 200khz cone bigger at 10' deep, certainly not look sideways. I'm fairly certain the SI will help, but I don't want to guinea pig a sizable chunk of change on a "maybe".

Bodo - What is the difference between side imaging and side scan? Are they the same? I think what I want is side scan, but don't believe anyone is marketing that technology to the sport angler in a price range I'm willing to pay. [blink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed May 22, 2013 8:36 am

A side scan would be just like your down scanning "color"sonar, only pointed to the side. A side imaging or any imaging is the latest and greatest, the sonar compiles enough pings to actually render an image of what it's pointing at. It's pretty cool, I worked on a big project for the Navy with imaging sonar but it was done with the ambient noise.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed May 22, 2013 9:36 am

Thanks for the explanation. SI is definitely what I'm after though I'd be happy with side scan with the same quality as my sonar. Time to start checking the important parameter, a clear view 180° from the txdcr location. [thumbup]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed May 22, 2013 10:41 am

I don't have enough experience with side scan, but it works and it's great to see just what I've been missing for the past almost 40 years in one lake alone.
Tom.

Interests: living

StevenBirkeland
Angler

Post by StevenBirkeland » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:40 pm

I have the Lowrance HDS 7 with the LSS-1 sonar. The sidescan is always on. I use it all the time in my boat and my friends. The images are amazing. I can see fish off to the side up to 200'. Trees, sunken boats, structure, it's all laid out and easy to see. I love seeing the big schools of Kokanee and other fish with it. Shallow water is so so, but the images are still amazing.

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:44 pm

I also have similar setup as Steven, but I have the touch screen. Detail is very good as you can see exactly what's down there, weeds, stump, tree or fish, instead of having to try to guess. Also works great if you find a school of fish because you can see what side of the boat its on and how far out. If you have the extra cash it's a very cool function and gadget to mess around with. If your tight on cash stick to a colors sonar/gps combo.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:58 am

The only thing holding me back at this time is the need for a clear view to either side of the boat and I don't have that. I have dual transducer brackets but not a clear view in both directions from either one. If I mount on starboard side, have a clear shot to starboard, but not port. Same issue if I mount on port side, clear shot port, but not starboard. Haven't shelved this idea, just more important things to do right now. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:16 am

Maybe this is a really silly question, maybe not... If you already have 2 sonars/fish finders, you know, a spare lying around doing nothing somewhere.... would it work to just angle one sonar to port and one sonar to starboard, out to the side instead of down? maybe you'd have to angle it down a bit to get away from surface disturbance, remember the cone. You'd have a port fishfinder and a stbrd to look at... the depth reading on the sonar would be your distance left or right of the boat, approximately.... If this experiment works, maybe a side image would be worth while in the future.

Just a thought......

My LMS 350A is about 17 years old and getting a little persnikety. I'll replace it in the next year or so and will be looking solely at side imaging units.
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:57 am

I've thought of doing that Mark but don't have any spare units to play around with. Been too busy lately to pursue this project any further, and probably won't have time to re-visit it until spring. Certainly something to think about.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:24 am

I've only been looking for a couple days but seems this one is pretty reasonable when compared to other side imaging units, it's only a 5" screen but claims to be 500 W (rms). $570
http://marine.factoryoutletstore.com/de ... combo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking at Lowrance, seems you have to get the head then add for another $500 to get the side imaging. IDK seems it would be over a grand for Lowrance.
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:15 am

My side imaging is redneck. I've got an old Humminbird and just tape the transducer to a metal rod and use it like an underwater flashlight. Perfect for peeking under docks...