Shimano Sahara, a REEL piece of CRAP!

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
Matt
Admiral

Shimano Sahara, a REEL piece of CRAP!

Post by Matt » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:42 pm

So I recently bought a new side drifting setup and chose the Shimano Sahara 3000 for the reel. For 80$ you would be expecting a decent/above par reel, and I have had good experiences with Shimano in the past, unfortunately, this reel is just a LEMON!

I have it spooled with 10 lb Izorline high-vis and every time I close the spool the line gets caught out on the bar, and not the bearing where it is suppose to seat. The result: Every time I hook a fish are get snagged up the bail comes flying open rather than the drag engaging. Doesn't matter if I manually close the bail, or reel half a turn to close it, the line still seats outside of the channel and on the bar causing this problem.

This real is a useless piece of junk.

This image shows where the line SHOULD be seating. From this image you can see the seam that is catching on the line and preventing it from fully returning.

This pic shows where the line ACTUALLY seats when you close the bail.

You can tell from the amount of borax and egg goo all over the reel it has been getting used, I don't know if I can return it to the store at this point, so I think my only options are contacting Shimano, or trying to fill the seam with some type of epoxy or something to smooth it out. Just steer clear of this POS.
Last edited by Matt on Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Shimano Sahara, a REEL piece of CRAP!

Post by Amx » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:53 pm

Ya, you might have to file and sand that corner to smooth and taper it more.
Tom.

Interests: living

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:57 pm

....which would leave my reel prone to corrosion in the sanded areas.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:04 pm

So that is chrome plating and not stainless?
Tom.

Interests: living

Brian253

Post by Brian253 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:22 pm

Weird, I have never had a problem with mine.i say take it back to the store you bought it at dude they should have no problem swapping it out and sending it back to shimano...

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:32 pm

AMX - I am pretty sure that it is a treated aluminum.

Brian - Yah I got it at John's and he has always been really good to me in the past for returns/exchanges. I am definitely going to go see him first, but is he can't do anything for me I will be contacting Shimano.

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:57 pm

I have 2 4000 sahara's never had any issues with them is it just this line you are having a problem with or is an issue with any line you spool on the reel? Shimano I believe has a life time warranty on these reels I will have to dig out my box to double check that though!
Proud member of http://www.WAGUNS.ORG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud Member of http://www.washingtonlakes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

follow my blog http://washintgonstatefishing.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:57 pm

I have had a sahara for 4 years with no problems, although I got the older one it doesn't have that problem. Maybe a flaw in the new design.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:02 pm

Yea, I hate two piece bails, one of the reasons I love my stradic is that there is no way it can trip up like that. I've had that problem with several other reels, not the sahara but it's one of the most infuriating things for sure. I wouldn't recommend sanding it down, that was my first thought too, but it ended up corroding and then it broke. I put a bit of jb weld on my other reel and smoothed it out super nice to fill the crack in that section, and my reel stopped doing it and slid the line right into place. I'd take it back like you're planning though. Getting a nice reel and then having it malfunction all the time is no good.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:09 pm

natetreat wrote:Yea, I hate two piece bails, one of the reasons I love my stradic is that there is no way it can trip up like that. I've had that problem with several other reels, not the sahara but it's one of the most infuriating things for sure. I wouldn't recommend sanding it down, that was my first thought too, but it ended up corroding and then it broke. I put a bit of jb weld on my other reel and smoothed it out super nice to fill the crack in that section, and my reel stopped doing it and slid the line right into place. I'd take it back like you're planning though. Getting a nice reel and then having it malfunction all the time is no good.

I am actually thinking I am going to ask if he will exchange the reel for a Stradic..... shoulda payed out the extra money the first time!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:19 pm

Matt wrote:
natetreat wrote:Yea, I hate two piece bails, one of the reasons I love my stradic is that there is no way it can trip up like that. I've had that problem with several other reels, not the sahara but it's one of the most infuriating things for sure. I wouldn't recommend sanding it down, that was my first thought too, but it ended up corroding and then it broke. I put a bit of jb weld on my other reel and smoothed it out super nice to fill the crack in that section, and my reel stopped doing it and slid the line right into place. I'd take it back like you're planning though. Getting a nice reel and then having it malfunction all the time is no good.

I am actually thinking I am going to ask if he will exchange the reel for a Stradic..... shoulda payed out the extra money the first time!

It's totally worth the bills. I love my stradic, it's a beast. I haven't fished the sahara, but the stradic is solid as a rock. I've used it 200+ days since I got it, and it's still as smooth as the day I bought it. The one piece bail is super strong, doesn't catch and I really like the spools on these reels. Even if your line gets low it can cast far. It seems like a lot of money at first, but in the end having a reel work like new after the torture I've put it through is amazing. Sometimes I take it for granted, but I only have one and I got out my float rod yesterday with a different reel and it was ridiculously sub par in performance and I realized how much I'd taken my sweet reel for granted.

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:24 pm

Never had a problem, You should NEVER reel to close the bail that is what causes this. always manually close the bail.

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:25 pm

if ya dont want it I will take it off your hands:-"

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:44 pm

The Izorline may be contributing to some of your problem. It may be a bit too stiff. I eventually pulled all my spinning reel Izorline. It's ok to use on a casting reel.

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:19 pm

For my larger than trout spinning reels I've settled on Shimano Stradics for fresh water and Quantum Cabos for salt water. Its like a lot of things in life; "you get what you pay for". For some folks rods & reels are replaceable disposable items. I consider them to be long term investments. On the rare occasion that I've had a problem with a Shimano I've found that I've had the best luck dealing directly with Shimano rather than a dealer.
Life's short - fish hard!

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:25 pm

I had the same exact issue with mine and it's only a few months old. I also was using the Hi-Viz Izorline. Hmm.. I put braid on it now, but haven't noticed any problems.
"One more......."

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:16 pm

Crankbait, I don't reel to close it, I always manually close the bail I was just sayin it does it either way, doesn't matter, still gets caught up.

I think the only thing that would matter about the line is the diameter, maybe a larger diameter line wouldn't get caught up, or as jens said he switched to braid. I tend to stay away from braid but use it in a few certain circumstances....

Steelheadman12
Petty Officer

Post by Steelheadman12 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:21 am

Also if you don't wanna pay the extra dough for a stradic the saros is another excellent reel for about 30 bones less. Also my saharas have all treated me really well.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:47 pm

Matt wrote:Crankbait, I don't reel to close it, I always manually close the bail I was just sayin it does it either way, doesn't matter, still gets caught up.

I think the only thing that would matter about the line is the diameter, maybe a larger diameter line wouldn't get caught up, or as jens said he switched to braid. I tend to stay away from braid but use it in a few certain circumstances....
I was using it like you were for side drifting.. I switched the line over for bobber/jig fishing.. and didn't notice that problem. I still like the reel.
"One more......."

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:39 pm

The reel nice and smooth I initially really liked it when I purchased it.... until I hooked into a fiesty 12 lb fish down there out of my boat and the bail came flying open and line went peeling off. Didn't lost the fish, LUCKILY. If I am more conscious of the problem I can just be sure to pull the line in when I close up the bail. The drag engages nice and evenly when the line is seated properly.