New Pistol

All things related to hunting.
dicinu
Commander

RE:New Pistol

Post by dicinu » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:13 pm

I have an arsenal here 7mm 243 300 300wsm and looking to get a 25-06 to use for Mules better I love that riffle heavier as it is a varmint riffle but I have a stability issue I know how to use and hit my target but with the heavier barrel I do not go in circles when I shot. something the military thought me.if the 30 30 wasn't too much for my sun I would be all over it 30-30 is a great gun one of the few I owned over the years.
Proud member of http://www.WAGUNS.ORG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud Member of http://www.washingtonlakes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

follow my blog http://washintgonstatefishing.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:21 am

Took my S&W .38sp (1949 Model 10 Revolver) to the range yesterday to burn off the ancient ammo I have for it. It felt good. I havent fired this poor thing in years but my hand remembered it well. Range master was giving me funny looks with the blue grey cloud it was puking. Only 3 boxes to go...lol

All ammo is getting replaced and all the toys are getting a new, fire rated, home.

I think Ive decided on the S&W Sigma as the next firearm. Its a very good price on a Glock clone from a respected manufacturer. $319 on sale at Cabelas right now.

The 9mm vs .40 debate is still alive though.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:21 am

Rich McVey wrote:The 9mm vs .40 debate is still alive though.
9mm lost that debate the first time I shot the .40
Lee

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:36 am

Im leaning towards the .40. Ultimatley knock down power is probably going to win this one. With 10-15% more energy, the .40 takes that comparison hands down.

Lots of people keep saying 9 though due to the softer kick, cheaper ammo. Im going to rent a couple models in both calibers and do a comparison myself.

What size box of ammo do you folks typically buy. the 20 count boxes are $1.20/bullet but you can get them for $0.33/bullet if you buy them in bulk. I dont think I need 1200 at a time. My buddy has a 9mm so if I get a 9mm then I can spilt a case.... hmmm...
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:59 am

I think the kick really depends on the gun with this comparison. My M9 Beretta kicks more than my .40 XDm.

As for rounds, target stuff I just get whatever is on sale, in bulk, as long as it isn't Herter's, that stuff is awful. For personal protection rounds, I go with Gold Dot. Nice quality bonded round.
Lee

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:21 am

1200 rounds is nothing if you really intend on getting some practice. A box at a time is spendy and you almost get warmed up and they're all gone.

When choosing a caliber, bear in mind that the 9 was developed as a "modern" military round. There were many considerations on table. Knock down power was not really one of them. They were not meant to kill. If you kill someone on a battle field, you have taken one player out of the game. If you wound someone, you take that person, his buddy, a medic, and a few transporters out of the game. How many rounds can a soldier carry and how expensive are the rounds to manufacture.

Then on the other hand to choose a carry weapon....... Are you really planning on running into a pack of drug crazed zombies? Doesn't really happen unless you are out looking for them or your profession has put you in a compromising area or position. What does it take to stop an altercation? Does the petty thief want to get shot for your wallet? Do the little gang bangers want to get shot in the open street? Can you stop the program with a show of force? Is your assailant going to stop if you shove a 380. or a little 38 snub up his nose? Personally I've never heard anyone comment on caliber when the barrel a couple feet away. Will you be able to sufficiently slow them with a point blank round? Pretty darn sure you can. Let’s take a step back.

A carry weapon is a weapon of self-defense. It is not a hunting tool. You are going to use it when you are no more than 7 feet away from your attacker. Real world, gun fights do not happen shooting across the street with you and your opponent shielded by parked cars. They happen standing face to face on the sidewalk or the upstairs hallway and they last mere seconds. Ultimately, what will it take to slow your attacker so you and your charges can get away? In all reality, getting away to a non-threatened position is the name of the game.

So for the biggest questions of all. Can you kill someone? Do you have it in you? Shooting or killing someone is really a mechanical act and it boils down to training. Pull the trigger! Should you defend yourself, your family and those in your immediate sphere of influence? I think absolutely and without fail. For the one end all question and I get off the soap box. Can you live with yourself if you kill or maim another human being, justified or not?

A lot of questions to answer. I know I probably raised more than just a little hair. Testosterone boiling? You’re all saying,” Pfffttt.. heck yeah, I could do that in a heartbeat!” but really……….

Food for thought.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:42 am

I've spent a fair amount of time pondering mortality. I fully understand that once you pull that trigger, you cant take it back or have a do over. Intent to kill is not on my list but when the shrimp hits the fan... ending it quickly and makeing sure the people in my charge are safe, would be a priority.

I think there is something to be said of the perception of the gun and what may be comming out of it at you. I dont see some big 300lb tweeker being detered by a .22 pocket gun like they would by something you can stick your finger down the barrel.

1200 \ 100-200 per trip is only 6 or so trips to the range and I go about once every week or two. I agree that 50 is just not enough unless I dont have much time at lunch.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:19 am

I don't think I've advocated a 22 for carry. I don't think I'd recommend anything smaller than a .32 auto and I would be more inclined to go .380 minimum as you can buy defense loads for it. Yes buy, never ever use hand loads for defense. For a deterrent you really only need to be able to make it through heavy outerwear. The shock of being shot with anything is a real eye opener, even with a vest. As for that 300lb zombie meth freak tweaker..... Not very likely, that's the movies, more like 5'9" buck fifty because they haven't eaten a meal in over a week and those kind of people, you would have to go and look for them. They don't want to be seen by anyone, period. Realistically it's a burglar that's entered your home and doesn't realize you are there. In that case a shotgun. I think you miss my point. Yes end it as quickly as possible but that rarely means dropping someone in their tracks. Most attackers are neither brave or strong, what they are is opportunistic. Toe to toe it takes very little to make them run. No matter what kind of low life they are do you really want to kill them? I'm talking their mortality and your legal ramifications. Are they worth only seeing your family on visiting hours? And then there's the psychological ramifications of your actions....

99% of the time you can just walk away.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:30 am

Yea, Im kinda wondering what the point is.

I agree bigger aint alwayse better. Killing should be the last option.

Are you trying to say the .40 isnt the right way to go or that knock down power shouldnt be a primary consideration...?

My 38 and .380 would do the job. I simply want a different gun as my primary weapon. Something I can conceal carry, take camping, fishing, whatever but is more comfortable and more stable (for me) than my .380. The 38 is being cleanded up and retired to a display type felt lined box.

Do I have anything against the 9mm? Nope, not at all.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:31 am

Why not pick up a 40 and get a 9mm conversion kit? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that there are a few suppliers of 9mm conversion kits for the XD 40 models. I know for certain that SIG has them and there are a few for Glocks as well.

As for ammo, 9mm full metal jacket Blazer Brass rounds can be picked up at Sportco or Outdoor Emporium for around $10 per box of 50. This makes them fairly economical to shoot and you don't need to buy by the case to get a decent price. 40 cal of the same style and mfg runs around $14 per box of 50, so you aren't talking a whole lot more in price. 10mm is where you see a huge difference in price at a little more than double the cost of 9mm.

I have self defense rounds for each pistol. They are designed not to puch a hole, instead they expand like a hunting round would and "should" not exit the body. With these type of rounds, I don't see there being much difference between a 9mm and a 40 at close distance, both are going to do the job.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:41 am

Rich McVey wrote:Yea, Im kinda wondering what the point is.

I agree bigger aint alwayse better. Killing should be the last option.

Are you trying to say the .40 isnt the right way to go or that knock down power shouldnt be a primary consideration...?

My 38 and .380 would do the job. I simply want a different gun as my primary weapon. Something I can conceal carry, take camping, fishing, whatever but is more comfortable and more stable (for me) than my .380. The 38 is being cleanded up and retired to a display type felt lined box.

Do I have anything against the 9mm? Nope, not at all.
I guess my point is I see lots of people that want to get a gun to carry because they think it would be cool to be dirty Harry. They dream up all sorts of scenarios where they need a hand cannon to come out on top. It's a bad combination.

Not real world.

But hey! If ya just want to buy a new gun in different caliber, go for gusto! A guy can't have too many toys! :)

Heck 9mm, .40 even a .22 can drop someone pretty easily. If we really want to knock someone down as well as shooting them, .45, .44 or bigger. A baseball bat comes to mind........

:)

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:43 am

G-Man wrote:Why not pick up a 40 and get a 9mm conversion kit? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that there are a few suppliers of 9mm conversion kits for the XD 40 models. I know for certain that SIG has them and there are a few for Glocks as well.

As for ammo, 9mm full metal jacket Blazer Brass rounds can be picked up at Sportco or Outdoor Emporium for around $10 per box of 50. This makes them fairly economical to shoot and you don't need to buy by the case to get a decent price. 40 cal of the same style and mfg runs around $14 per box of 50, so you aren't talking a whole lot more in price. 10mm is where you see a huge difference in price at a little more than double the cost of 9mm.

I have self defense rounds for each pistol. They are designed not to puch a hole, instead they expand like a hunting round would and "should" not exit the body. With these type of rounds, I don't see there being much difference between a 9mm and a 40 at close distance, both are going to do the job.

You my freind have hit the nail on the head. Toe to toe the bullet doean't really matter.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:51 am

Ok, we wernt far off. Did I forget to mention we already have a few... my bad.

I carry now as it is. Damn thing gets cold this time of year and REALLY makes me jump when its coldness hits my toasty warm spare tire...

Just trying to dial which new toy to put the shells down on. A gun fight is NOT something I want to get into. I have plans for some defense classes and I will be shooting more. Accuracy and familiarity with my gun are what I plan on having as the advantage if bad things happen.

The insight and feedback are great!
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:13 pm

Another nice shooting Semi auto is a Walther. I have a 1938 Walther PPK. Its a 32 auto. It was brought back from Germany during WW2. It really has very lil kick and is extremely comfortable to shoot and easy on the cashola.Ive shot their 9mm and it was the same. Well made pistol. Ive shot Kimbers,they are nice but way too overpriced.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:38 pm

My logic for me to own a gun is better for me to have and not need it then to need and not have it. do I plan on carrying one around with me day in day out? No! but I do hunt and have something with stopping power will help from a bear or cougar or any other animal better than a 9mm will IMO. as for shooting someone No I personally do not plan to shot anyone as I am Nice with my hands and that's all I need most of the time. someone breaks in my house then they will get shot no questions asked, will I feel regret Maybe, am I trying to find out NO! but me personally owning a gun I want is mainly for hunting. I do not plan to carry a gun to fish no matter how mad some people get and some of the stories I hear about, I just try to steer clear of those places as I am usually with my son and he does not need to be around knuckle heads wanting to pull a gun because someone is standing on their (so called) rock.....

Now will a 40 stop a bear maybe maybe not but I am not trying to out run a Bear nor go tow to toe with one, as that is a losing battle either way for me. But I feel a 40 will detour a bear better than a 9 will. that is my outlook on it. I don't the folks on here look to buy a gun to run out and shot someone. but if needed I bet most will pull the trigger if needed and in danger. And depending on where you live gun fights happen in all kinds of scenarios face to face in homes across streets in parking lots. all kinds of places not just up front and personal all the time.

Gman I believe the XDM's Springfield's do this conversion.
Proud member of http://www.WAGUNS.ORG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud Member of http://www.washingtonlakes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

follow my blog http://washintgonstatefishing.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:51 pm

I picked up my XD 40 subcompact today I will take it out and test it this weekend and get acquainted with my new weapon. I will probably have my daughter out with me so she can get used to it also. to see how it feels shooting it.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:31 am

Congrats. I'll be getting mine Saturday.

Gonna have to pick up a bulk box of ammo too. Way to easy to roll off 200 rounds at the range at lunch time. :-$

This place down by Ft Lewis has good prices on bulk target ammo. 16.5 cents per round @ 1000. https://www.surplusammoandarms.com/
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:20 am

Thanks Rich for the link I will have to check that store out to get mine for practice at the range also. for the price you really can't go wrong for just practice rounds for the range. which pistol did you end up with?

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:07 am

Keeping the price down on this one. S&W Sigma 9. Also getting a 22 rifle.

Mentioned to the wife that if I dont think the 9 was enough then I can alwayse go back and get a .45 as well. She laughed and said I gotta get her a new SKS first.

I gotta get a new gun safe before I get carried away. Lack of a secure place to put one has been the hold up for years.

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:32 am

yeah thats my next Item to buy is a safe to keep theives out of my fire arms. the Sigmas looked to be nice pistols for the money. I was also eye balling another pistol a 22 for hunting and a ar15 for fun at the range. before those I need to get a safe to store them all in. what range do you go to?