Crawfish Traps?

Our hardshelled friends found here.
Rivercamp72
Petty Officer

Crawfish Traps?

Post by Rivercamp72 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:15 pm

Hello, I've looked at traps on line and would like to purchase here in WA State. Trapper Arne sells out of AZ, but again, I would rather purchase locally. I've also seen the website of a guy that apparently is not selling any more because of his wife having a major illness and I believe he is in WA State, but sales have been stopped. Can any one give me a lead for some quality, legal to fish with traps? Thanks in advance for any type of response.

:-k

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Crawfish Traps?

Post by Bodofish » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:25 pm

Buy a couple rolls of hardware cloth and have at it. If you have wire cutters and a pair of pliers, your good to go.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:36 am

Yup .Bodo has that correct. I used chicken wire rolled into a tube shape. On either end I made a funnel opening.Tie a rope to it and drop it down.I use a can of catfood for bait. Easy.....
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:26 pm

ill bet by the time you take the time and money to build it you could go out and buy one:-"
fish on!

nickbell
Commander

Post by nickbell » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:31 pm

I know that my neighbor just uses a star trap and lined the inside walls with chicken wire so that they cant escape when pulled. The spaces in the trap are normally so big that the craws would escape.

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:17 pm

racfish wrote:Yup .Bodo has that correct. I used chicken wire rolled into a tube shape. On either end I made a funnel opening.Tie a rope to it and drop it down.I use a can of catfood for bait. Easy.....
If you read the regs - your trap isn't legal. There has to be an escape door secured by a tie that can rot within a reasonable amount of time, so that if your trap ever becomes lost or delinquent, it will not continue to trap and kill indefinitely. That's why many commercially-sold traps are not legal in WA.

sharpshooter223
Warrant Officer

Post by sharpshooter223 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:02 pm

Jay K wrote:
racfish wrote:Yup .Bodo has that correct. I used chicken wire rolled into a tube shape. On either end I made a funnel opening.Tie a rope to it and drop it down.I use a can of catfood for bait. Easy.....
If you read the regs - your trap isn't legal. There has to be an escape door secured by a tie that can rot within a reasonable amount of time, so that if your trap ever becomes lost or delinquent, it will not continue to trap and kill indefinitely. That's why many commercially-sold traps are not legal in WA.
Well he never really said how he attached the funnel ends or if he put a door in or not. The frabill traps as sold are not legal to use but are very easily modified to be legal. What I did was attach a split ring on either side of the hinge part and hooked my rope onto those with the spring hook sold with it. The other side with the loops where the spring loop usually hooks, I just tied together with cotton string, so if the string were to rot the two halves would fall open. another way one could modify them is to just cut a square and reattach it with cotton string but that takes more work and means more parts to keep track of.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rivercamp72
Petty Officer

Post by Rivercamp72 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:54 pm

OK guys I appreciate the response. I think I will just follow the regs and make my own. The first one will take the most time, but after that the other 4 or 6 will get churned out fairly quick.javascript:insertsmiley('[thumbup]%20','/Forum/images/emoticons/msp_thumbup.gif')

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:34 am

Mine does have a door on top.Its tied with string and will desolve eventually in water. I patterened it after my crab pots.Plus my funnel ends are open.They do not have doors on it.Where I fish for craws is on a private dock.In my 50 years of life I've never been checked on Lk Wa Once only during sockeye.I find my best crayfishing is right off a dock. I dont even use a float.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:43 am

Of course my traps are legal. Do you think I'm some sort of hack or something? Come on, just because I didn't lay out a blueprint with a big arrow pointing to the door with the break away latch...nevermind I forgot there's a bunch of people here that are way to quick to jump to conclusions.

The funnels can be attached with the little wire stubs left from cutting the hardware cloth. If you need to zip ties work great too, especially for the hinges. I strap a couple pieces rebar on the bottom of them so they land right side up. If you need plans there's about a million of them on the web.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:47 am

Hah, they told you Jay K :-#
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:43 am

I like the rebar idea.Besides nothing is illegal till you get caught. Muahaha