Dove recipes

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
crappiemaster
Lieutenant

Dove recipes

Post by crappiemaster » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:54 am

With the dove season just around the corner, thought I would share one of my favorite mourning dove recipes. Breast out the dove and split the breast in half. Rap a 1/2 slice of bacon around it and skewer it with a toothpick. Quarter an onion and slide on a piece on both sides. Split a jalapeno in half length wise, and slide it on both sides as well. So basically you sandwich the breast with jalapeno and onion. Grill /bbq until meat is cooked and serve with white or wild rice. Easy to do and extremely delicious. I usually freeze a bunch and serve them at Super bowl parties. Any other recipes out there?

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:Dove recipes

Post by racfish » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:04 pm

Being a ex Webber now a Traeger person ,I cant see why not do a nice poultry rub on a squab(dove) smoke it an hour then turn it up for 15-20 minutes and cook it completely.I just cant imagine it tasting any better.You say dove.Is dove same as squab and or pidgeon?
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

crappiemaster
Lieutenant

Post by crappiemaster » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:48 pm

Boy I am not sure... Definetly not a pidgeon, and I am not sure what a squab is. Never heard of it. Mourning dove is what is in the regs there is a picture in there too.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:18 pm

Squab is what they call pidgeon in Europe.I guess to the french its sounds tastier to say squab under glass instead of pidgeon under glass.hahahaha
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

felts_jf
Warrant Officer

Post by felts_jf » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:54 pm

I am from Kentucky and love Dove hunting, I had no Idea there was a season here. Where at and how could I get on them?

Jason
The boat doesnt catch fish it's the person. Rippin Lips

crappiemaster
Lieutenant

Post by crappiemaster » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:53 pm

I am not sure about the west side but here on the East side, season starts Sept 1, and runs to Sept 15. You are allowed 10 per day and there is a bag limit. Not sure what it is off the top of my head. There is a canal that runs close to the Horse Heaven Hills here in the Yakima valley and a lot of people from the west side will camp along this irrigation canal. It is packed and it is like a war zone up there. A lot of sage brush on the otherside of the canal, and the doves will roost in this sagebrush. It's the craziest thing you have ever seen on opening day. When I was younger, I use to go up there and stake my spot, now I take my nine year old to a little scouted field( with Permission from the farmer) far away from all the volleys. Trick is to scout those fields a week or so before the season starts. It is a lot of fun and they are delicious birds.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:38 am

That sounds like Steelie fishing at Blue Creek on the Cowlitz.At times it is so crowded you get there like 3-4 am just to try and secure a spot.

crappiemaster
Lieutenant

Post by crappiemaster » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:52 am

Yes! exactly Rfish. I went to the Cowlitz once steelheading and never went back. Lots of pressure, I didn't have much fun at all.