smoked bass

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
sharpshooter223
Warrant Officer

smoked bass

Post by sharpshooter223 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:31 am

So yesterday I had one bass to do something with. I figured since there wasnt much to ruin if it did get ruined by it I went and smoked it. It just came off the smoker and it tastes pretty good. I had brined it with kind of a teriyaki flavor overnight and smoked it on high heat with cherry wood for a couple hours this morning. You can taste the teriyaki and the smoke and the light flavor of the fish still comes through.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:smoked bass

Post by racfish » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:19 am

I dont smoke Panfish much cuz of the no to lil oil content of the species.I prefer smoking an oilier fish for more flavoring.Panfish for me are pan fried,deep fried or poached.JMO
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:26 am

Sounds like it would taste good. I prefer Salmon, Trips or a varient for the smoker or on a cedar plank in the grill.

Pan fried with butter, lil garlic and lemon for the rest.

sharpshooter223
Warrant Officer

Post by sharpshooter223 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:29 am

i agree about the oil content, im thinking if i do this again i wont flavor the brine and then use the resulting product for something like soups. Just made a smoker and have been playing around with what i can smoke just about every weekend.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:36 pm

I'll be in Grainger this weekend. Maybe add a lil oil to the brine.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.