Small boat fish finders

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
sharpshooter223
Warrant Officer

Small boat fish finders

Post by sharpshooter223 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:27 pm

I have a feeling that I may be asking a question that has been covered many times and am just not looking hard enough, but can anyone recommend a fish finder in the 100 dollar-ish range for a small boat (a pram right now but it may be different should I decide to build something else). I dont think it would be very practical to have anything attached to the bottom of the hull as the boat will be run up onto land a bit for launch and take out, so the ability to mount the hardware to a pole or something and hang it over the side would be nice. I would like to be able to see depth at least, and should it be able to accurately sense fish that would be a plus (although a longshot). Nothing I am fishing should be all that terribly deep. Not knowing much about fish finders, what kind of features should I be looking for.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Re: Small boat fish finders

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:18 am

http://washingtonlakes.com/forum/viewto ... er#p143506" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The above may hold the answer that you seek........
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:40 am

Or, maybe the below is your answer. It's right at $100. I don't own it but it might fit my needs for my jon boat as well.

http://www.basspro.com/Lowrancereg;-X-4 ... escription" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sharpshooter223
Warrant Officer

Post by sharpshooter223 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:43 am

I think that covers most of what I need to know, thanks.

Another question though, how much easier would it be to read bottom structure with something like a 200 dollar range unit than a 100 dollar range unit?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:52 am

Twice as good. [biggrin]
Tom.

Interests: living

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:14 pm

Amx wrote:Twice as good. [biggrin]
[thumbsup] COLOR!!!!!!!!!!! [thumbsup]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The unit I posted is a dual freq, up to 120 deg picture of the bottom. I think these would be optimum for very shallow depths giving you the widest picture for the dollar... Other units even IF dual freq only offered 60 degree cone/view, HALF! Now, is it dependable, I haven't a clue, I don't own it. I have a Lowrance that is 13 years old, spends most winters outside, and it's still kickin out data~! I haven't been able to kill it even though I want to replace it! [thumbup]

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:19 pm

I have 2 Lowrance X60s on my boat. The one on the bow is getting noticable dimmer and has lines on the screen now. The one on the console stops scrolling now and then and turns itself off, then back on now and then. But they are about 20 years old and still show the bottom, etc, just fine. Hopefully next year I can get a down/structure scan.
Tom.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:35 pm

I had the lines show up early winter, ran around lake wa with the backlight on, lines went away by next trip... I haven't read up on the down/structure scan.... ????? I really should take better care of my unit. Thought they all pretty much pinged downward except those side scan option ones. ??? What do I know, I bought crap, that doesn't stink, for $1.20a bag! LOL

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:38 pm

Well the structure scan is Lowrance's name, and the side scan is the Humminbird's name, but they are the same thing - different name. My understanding anyway. And they both have the downscan too. [biggrin]
Tom.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:44 pm

Amx wrote:Well the structure scan is Lowrance's name, and the side scan is the Humminbird's name, but they are the same thing - different name. My understanding anyway. And they both have the downscan too. [biggrin]
Good to know, THANKS!