Low pressure launching experience for a rookie?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
reigndawgs
Commander

Low pressure launching experience for a rookie?

Post by reigndawgs » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:38 am

It looks like I may be finally getting a little boat (14foot aluminum with outboard) and I would like to find a place I can practice launching it on a lake somewhere where I don't feel like I'm on the firt tee box at a crowded golf course with people waiting impatiently for me to get out of the way. Is there such an idiot proof launch on the Westside fo the state (the closer to Sammamish the better). Lake Sammamish is close obviously, but that seems like the opposite of what I'm looking for.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Low pressure launching experience for a rookie?

Post by Amx » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:43 am

Sammamish is all that's coming to mind to me.

First you should find an empty parking lot and practise backing up straight, then backing up at an angle to put the trailer in a parking stall that isn't directly behind you.
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:44 am

You can even practise here and I'll help. Or Sunday at Sammamish if I go.
Tom.

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:53 am

Amx wrote:Sammamish is all that's coming to mind to me.

First you should find an empty parking lot and practise backing up straight, then backing up at an angle to put the trailer in a parking stall that isn't directly behind you.
Oh yes. I'm going to a a parking lot and going to practice until I feel okay about my skills with nothing to run into and nobody to laugh at me. But still want to get a low pressure launch in if possible.

:) [crying] o:)

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:54 am

Altho I SHOULD ask if you've towed a trailer or backed one up, before I jump to conclusions. HaHa.

Maybe all you want info on is taking the boat off the trailer and putting it back on, that would have to be done at the launch. :)
Last edited by Amx on Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:56 am

Theres a big bass tournament going on at Sammamish this weekend, otw it'd be the best place to go. Lots of ramps and if it wasn't for the tournament, the boat traffic is very light this time of year.

Maybe you could go in the late afternoon, the tournament should be done.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:59 am

What does otw mean?

Ramp should be empty of the tourny boats by early/mid morning, and I'm guessing the weight-in is about 3pm. With awards about 4pm, so the place will be busy until 5pm. So my estimit of 10am would be good.
Last edited by Amx on Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:07 am

I don`t know of any small lakes up that way myself. Did you look at the lake map here on the site? If you wanted to spend a little more time there`s lot`s of small lakes with decent ramps down this way Enumclaw,Covington,Black Diamond direction and I`ll bet there`s not a soul around this weekend. Just a thought. It`s only a 30 to 40 min drive from that direction. Again just a thought.:)

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:11 am

Just goto sam at 8 or 9am on sunday most people are already in the water and if you use the far lanes you are practising in the retrevial lanes so you willl not be blocking anyone. And quite frankly screw them. You are only trying to learn and if someone pulled up to launch all you need to do is pul out no big deal.
On to advice..the best advice is slow turns on the wheel equals big turns on a trailer especially on a single axel trailer.
At samamish launch there is two ways you can best launch your tub.
This is what i do unless launch doesnt allow it (to tight etc). Drive past the ramp,trailer too and then turn your wheel to your right and as you back up keep turning until you see the ramp in your left mirror, when you do turn back to the left until you are straight, never worry about your right mirror until you are straight.

The other way is to drive towards the ramp coming from the collection booth and then in a big sweep turn away so your truck and trailer is already straight or almost straight to the ramp you are laucnhing at. This is simplest way, it becomes difficult when the douches of impatient are around.

The real key to backing up is small adjustments at a slow speed. Ive aint come across many who can launch and retrieve as fast as i can...BUT if my misses and kids and dog are with me i take all the time in the world to get them in the water, it is just that way nothing moves fast with them in tow. all i am saying dont sweat it if you take a little longer with the family. keep your cool and have fun....
Hope this helps
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:13 am

rjn cajun wrote:I don`t know of any small lakes up that way myself. Did you look at the lake map here on the site? If you wanted to spend a little more time there`s lot`s of small lakes with decent ramps down this way Enumclaw,Covington,Black Diamond direction and I`ll bet there`s not a soul around this weekend. Just a thought. It`s only a 30 to 40 min drive from that direction. Again just a thought.:)
Totally willing to go down there and it's closer to where I'm going to store it (courtesy of another find WaLaker).

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:18 am

sickbayer wrote:Just goto sam at 8 or 9am on sunday most people are already in the water and if you use the far lanes you are practising in the retrevial lanes so you willl not be blocking anyone. And quite frankly screw them. You are only trying to learn and if someone pulled up to launch all you need to do is pul out no big deal.
On to advice..the best advice is slow turns on the wheel equals big turns on a trailer especially on a single axel trailer.
At samamish launch there is two ways you can best launch your tub.
This is what i do unless launch doesnt allow it (to tight etc). Drive past the ramp,trailer too and then turn your wheel to your right and as you back up keep turning until you see the ramp in your left mirror, when you do turn back to the left until you are straight, never worry about your right mirror until you are straight.

The other way is to drive towards the ramp coming from the collection booth and then in a big sweep turn away so your truck and trailer is already straight or almost straight to the ramp you are laucnhing at. This is simplest way, it becomes difficult when the douches of impatient are around.

The real key to backing up is small adjustments at a slow speed. Ive aint come across many who can launch and retrieve as fast as i can...BUT if my misses and kids and dog are with me i take all the time in the world to get them in the water, it is just that way nothing moves fast with them in tow. all i am saying dont sweat it if you take a little longer with the family. keep your cool and have fun....
Hope this helps
That helps a lot. I am hoping to avoid putting myself in a situation where I have to adopt the screw them mentality just becuase I know myself well enough to know it will stress me out or make me mad: both of which are bad for everyone involved. I am going to launch this tub at first without the wife or kids, dog maybe as she won't complain, ask questions or try to help. My spatial abilities seem to be marginal at best and backing up a trailer has been rough the few times in the past where I had opportunity to try.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:23 am

I've screwed up a number of times at the launches. Still get crossed up now and then. It happens. Just cooly get out of it and try again. :-)

One night after midnight I got home and tried to back the trailer under the awning. COULDN'T do it. Kept jacknifing the rig. So I left it in the middle of the back yard, jacknifed, and went to bed. The next morning I backed it right in with no troubles. Was just TOO tired to do it right the night before.
Tom.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:23 am

reigndawgs wrote:
rjn cajun wrote:I don`t know of any small lakes up that way myself. Did you look at the lake map here on the site? If you wanted to spend a little more time there`s lot`s of small lakes with decent ramps down this way Enumclaw,Covington,Black Diamond direction and I`ll bet there`s not a soul around this weekend. Just a thought. It`s only a 30 to 40 min drive from that direction. Again just a thought.:)
Totally willing to go down there and it's closer to where I'm going to store it (courtesy of another find WaLaker).

Consider Sawyer lake. It's got a two lane ramp down to the water, with a bit of a twist which would be good lining up practise. Always walk down to the ramp and visually inspect the ramp for drop-offs and damaged slats.

couple pics of the launch area for Sawyer are here.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:23 am

Two lakes come to mind right away Lake Sawyer and Lake Morton. Both are close to one another. Lake Morton I will bet a pay check will not have a soul around and it`s nice and secluded. Gravel launch and lot`s of room. Lake Sawyer is concrete also with lot`s of room. AMX also lives down this way and I`m sure has some ideas also.
Last edited by rjn cajun on Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:25 am

I thought of Sawyer, but I believe he needs to try at a straight launch first before he tries the angled launch at Sawyer, BUT the angle at Sawyer isn't until the trailer is almost in the water anyway, so that would work if he wants.
Tom.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:29 am

If you do go down to Sammamish be careful, some of the ramps have wicked drop offs at the edge. I found one with my boat last time I was there, it was up NEXT TO the dock, not on the outside of the ramp like you would expect.

Gene Coulon park on Lake Washington is never very busy this time of year, and it is inside of a breakwater so the water will be nice an calm.

The biggest thing is just to take your time and don't panic. I would suggest beginning the learning process by actually LOOKING out the back window rather than using the mirrors. Actually physically looking at where you are going is much easier to get an handle on than using the mirrors (at first), once you are completely comfortable, then start learning the mirrors.

Another very helpful tip, especially on retrieval, is dropping the tailgate (Assuming you are using a pickup). It can help out A TON! Be careful that you don't jackknife the trailer with the tailgate down though, it will dent your tailgate in if you turn to sharp while it is down. The other big plus to dropping the tailgate is you can use it as a step to get out closer to the boat.

Good luck!! Now is the perfect time to learn, spring is coming and it will get very busy. Fishermen tend to be more proficient at launch/retrieval, it is the pleasure boaters that are good for a laugh most of the time because they don't use their boats nearly as often.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:33 am

I don't say this nearly enough. I love you guys! :thumright I can always come here for reassurance and not get laughed at, not too hard at least. :joker:

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:34 am

I`ve had many of laughs at the expense of home owners that keep there boats docked all year long. Then when it comes time to load up at the end of the season the husband and wife are screming at each other while four boats are waiting and watching. Good stuff.:bounce:

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:35 am

Oh ya, there are 2 things you should before you ever put the boat in the water.

1] Before leaving the house with the boat, check to be sure the bilge plug is in place.

2] The second thing you should do is when you get to the lake and go to untie the boat from the trailer make sure the bilge plug is in place.

DAMHIK
Tom.

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:37 am

Amx wrote:Oh ya, there are 2 things you should before you ever put the boat in the water.

1] Before leaving the house with the boat, check to be sure the bilge plug is in place.

2] The second thing you should do is when you get to the lake and go to untie the boat from the trailer make sure the bilge plug is in place.

DAMHIK

Made that mistake as a teen with my family at Rimrock Lake. We used to go there a lot, my brother knew all this stuff and taught me a lot but that was many years ago and no practice since.