motor not starting

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
SalmonAddict
Warrant Officer

Re: motor not starting

Post by SalmonAddict » Mon May 18, 2015 12:55 pm

ncwflounderer wrote:what is the problem? sound like maybe you have it running?
I will say when I was having a similar issue where the motor would run, but seemed to have no power, I went through everything, starting with plugs, carb clean, and ended up having to buy a brain for mine- basically the spark wasn't getting distributed to the plugs evenly, so basically It was running on 1 cylinder, changing this part fixed the issue immediately, and was the most expensive part I had to buy, was about $100.
Sorry,

I believe the problem is 2 things

1) take too long and too many pulls to start it up. Seems like the flywheel doesn't spin fast enough without the nut being loosened a bit
2) when it starts up, it's doesn't idle well. It just reaches certain "low" and any thing lower than that just stalls it. I tried adjusting the idle needle and the best I got was a close enough low is for 5 minutes before it stalled.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Tue May 19, 2015 6:33 am

No brain on this 39yr old motor, but it does have coils of some sort.

Biggest problem is age of motor, unknown condition of powerhead (done a compression test yet?), reed/reed block condition, and status of fuel and electrical/ignition systems, etc. Suspect very few new parts will be available, so will have to rely on used ones. The same issues (age, wear/tear, etc) will exist with them too.

I saw a post on another forum this morning that sounds strangely identical to this outboard...
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

ncwflounderer
Lieutenant

Post by ncwflounderer » Tue May 19, 2015 7:03 am

My engine is an early 80's 2 stroke, the "brain" had something to do with the coils, it certainly isn't a computer. As far as Idle screw, from my experience, all the way in then 1 and a half turn out will get you close to the correct setting. It does sound like may be a coil issue. One of the first things I did when trouble shooting my engine was a compression test, just a good baseline to let you know what you are working with, are the rings toast etc. too bad there aren't any OEM products being made for that engine
Eat, sleep, fish

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed May 20, 2015 5:42 am

If the post I saw on another forum was SalmonAddict, he's found THE source for one of the most respected Mercury Master techs in the entire country who freely donates his time and experience to help others. [thumbup]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

SalmonAddict
Warrant Officer

Post by SalmonAddict » Wed May 20, 2015 6:52 am

hewesfisher wrote:If the post I saw on another forum was SalmonAddict, he's found THE source for one of the most respected Mercury Master techs in the entire country who freely donates his time and experience to help others. [thumbup]
Yup! Needed more input that's all!

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Thu May 21, 2015 6:29 am

SalmonAddict wrote:
hewesfisher wrote:If the post I saw on another forum was SalmonAddict, he's found THE source for one of the most respected Mercury Master techs in the entire country who freely donates his time and experience to help others. [thumbup]
Yup! Needed more input that's all!
Due to that engine's age, there may not be much additional input, however, if he suggests anything, follow his advice to the letter. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sat May 23, 2015 11:48 pm

SalmonAddict wrote:So I figured that the flywheel isn't spinning fast enough or long enough for the motor to start. How I figured his was looseneing the flywheel nut. Dangerous and I won't do it no more, but when I did that, the motor started in 2 pulls.

What could be the problem now?
Doesnt work exactly that way with outboards. The ignition system will put out a good spark (assuming all the parts are working correctly - even at very low rpms. Other wise you could never pull start one. Loosening the flywheel had nothing to do with it starting - just coincidence Im sure.

You need to get a shop manual and go through all the steps in tuning and adjusting everything.

The only way to find out which one(s) are causing your problem is to go through each one step by step in the correct order.

Im still thinking your main problem is the carb. If its not 100% right, then nothing else you do will make any difference. However, there are many many many things that can make one hard to start.

Good luck!

Greenfishnut
Petty Officer

Post by Greenfishnut » Sun May 24, 2015 8:06 am

mercury motors all use the serial number to find parts-no exceptions from my years of repairing small (up to 10 hp) outboards. NAPA (they have a marine line of parts as well as Small Engine parts) may be able to get the float valve (which is what you are showing us).

There used to be several small outboard parts suppliers on the ol web as late as 6 years ago when i got away from repairs-just do a search for parts for your specific model mercury motor)

If someone was able to break that needle from the choke entrance then your carburetor is garbage as it is in the bowl (sealed off from the venturi of the carburetor except via the main jet) and inaccessible from the topside (choke entrance also called the venturi)- which does not appear to be the case as it does not look like it has a hole in it except for designed spots

Also I-boats may be able or direct you in the proper direction (f I remember correctly) to find your parts but have the complete serial number plus the model number ( i never had to use the model number as it was never needed but possibly might be) written down correctly.

R639243mn
Angler

Post by R639243mn » Sat May 30, 2015 8:58 am

Hi Salmon addict.
It seems you have one or two problems there with identifying and finding parts so maybe I can help.My hobby is fixing old outboards but only johnnyrudes so don't know anything about Mercs.However,if you go to http://www.iboats" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .com and to the mercury section you will find tons of info and people who can help with your problems.They are also a source for parts, as are http://www.sea" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; waymarine.com.You might also try NAPA.they carry parts under the Sierra brand.Good luck.
Geoff