Step through windshield seal

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
rapala1972
Petty Officer

Re: Step through windshield seal

Post by rapala1972 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:45 pm

This may sound stupid, but what about a windshield wiper blade? You would have to find some kind of adhesive to secure it to the frame. If you could find a wiper with the base wide enough to fit in the groove, it might work.

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:39 am

And there is the problem. The groove is .2" wide and finding the right fit is difficult. I will not use silicon. I have found bulb seals with a "T" to slide in the groove, but the "T" is not wide enough. The gap between the frame and deck is .25 to .50".

scott56
Angler

Post by scott56 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:19 am

Hi again. I just want to state again that when I worked at all these boat companies, we did not use any special inserts in these walk through windows. I worked at Glas Ply at the time your boat was built and flat foam tape was what used at he factory. The"T" that you are referring to was a slot for "T" bolts. The manufacturer of these windshields used the same extrusion as the standard windshields to save money. The "T" slot was for special bolts used for installing standard windows into the deck of the boat. They used the same extrusion when they made a walk through window and used the same foam tape for sealing the walk through as for sealing standard windshields. You can certainly try to find some sort of insert if you want to, but that was not what used at the factory. Believe me, this is not unusual in the boat industry. Saving money was the name of the game and anything that could be done to save money was done. But like I say, if you want to, you can try to find something to fit there if you can, but there was never anything special originally installed in your window. I do hope you find something that works for you. :)

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:51 am

18ftTrophy, keep looking at the bulb seals you will find one that will work. IF the canopy shops can't find it call a Bayliner shop that looks like something I had on one of my windshields. Bottom line your going to find something that will meet your need but don't think it will be perfect. The T side of the seal you only need to make sure the bulb fits the grove tight the T part only has to go in a bit to make a great hold and keep it in place, the protection is when it closed not pulling on the bulb seal so keep that in mind. Ebay is a great place for bulb seals you may have to try small sections of a few to find the right one. Good luck again!!!
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:29 pm

Thanks guys. I want to thank you scott56 for your insight. I'm going to keep looking before I use the self sticking foam seal.