Numbers or no numbers?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
fishing collector
Captain

Numbers or no numbers?

Post by fishing collector » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:48 am

I noticed that some boats have WN registration numbers on their bows and some don't. Does anyone know the right way to go with the numbers? Has anyone ever been stopped for not having the numbers? I have a 12' aluminium boat with an electric motor most of the time and sometimes I use a 5hp outboard. When I inquired with the Coast Guard they said yes and when I asked the person at the registration office she said no...... What gives? I looked at the pictures of the members boats and in that thread it looked like....who cares. Thanks :compress:
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

GCB069
Petty Officer

RE:Numbers or no numbers?

Post by GCB069 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:51 am

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:26 am

fishing collector wrote:I noticed that some boats have WN registration numbers on their bows and some don't. Does anyone know the right way to go with the numbers? Has anyone ever been stopped for not having the numbers? I have a 12' aluminium boat with an electric motor most of the time and sometimes I use a 5hp outboard. When I inquired with the Coast Guard they said yes and when I asked the person at the registration office she said no...... What gives? I looked at the pictures of the members boats and in that thread it looked like....who cares. Thanks :compress:
Check out the Washington State Boating Laws, looks like the boating may fall under the state parks juristiction but its confusing who actually is the athority - http://www.parks.wa.gov/moorage/bfaq.asp

What boats are required to be registered and where do I register one?

All motorboats regardless of length, and sailboats 16 feet and over, are required to be registered by state law unless specifically exempt. A vessel can be registered at a local county auditor's office or any vehicle/vessel subagent location.

What type of equipment is required to legally operate my boat?

The boat must be registered unless exempt under state law and display the numbers and valid decal.

Do I need to register my inflatable raft?

Only if a motor is installed on it.

I hope this helps and doesnt cloud any issues already presented.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:13 pm

RaMcVey wrote:
fishing collector wrote:I noticed that some boats have WN registration numbers on their bows and some don't. Does anyone know the right way to go with the numbers? Has anyone ever been stopped for not having the numbers? I have a 12' aluminium boat with an electric motor most of the time and sometimes I use a 5hp outboard. When I inquired with the Coast Guard they said yes and when I asked the person at the registration office she said no...... What gives? I looked at the pictures of the members boats and in that thread it looked like....who cares. Thanks :compress:
Check out the Washington State Boating Laws, looks like the boating may fall under the state parks juristiction but its confusing who actually is the athority - http://www.parks.wa.gov/moorage/bfaq.asp

All motorboats regardless of length, and sailboats 16 feet and over, are required to be registered by state law unless specifically exempt. A vessel can be registered at a local county auditor's office or any vehicle/vessel subagent location.

The boat must be registered unless exempt under state law and display the numbers and valid decal.

Do I need to register my inflatable raft?

Only if a motor is installed on it.

I hope this helps and doesnt cloud any issues already presented.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:17 pm

RaMcVey wrote:

I think these rules are for State parks and federal waters not the lakes that are not posted in this law ...I believe ...who knows?
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mud Duck
Petty Officer

Post by Mud Duck » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:21 pm